1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Skyrim: A Retrospective

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 4 Nov 2016.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

"Hardcore" or realism mods are a real eye-opener for both Oblivion (FCOM does a good job!) and Skyrim (Requiem) that I feel are must haves. Because you can't simply do all the main questlines whenever you want, you have to explore the world! By taking away fast travel, too, you come across so many things you might otherwise have missed.

However, I could always do with fewer generic 'bandits' - New Vegas style themed areas really pull you in.

3. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I love Skyrim but it doesn't half-irked trying to find the right path going up the mountain.

4. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

I found zen trying to find mountain paths when I stopped trying to go places for a reason.

I did spend a lot of time blankly trying to jump up the side of things, though.

5. Broadwater06

Broadwater06 Minimodder

I might do just that. Ahem, me too, sometimes my partner would be looking at me saying what are you doing and eventually when I got there, she's there coming from another distance. AI is smarter than me in Skyrim.

6. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Mountains in Skyrim = Inconsistent Invisiwalls Simulator 2011 Minigame.

7. JakeTucker

JakeTucker Minimodder

But now in 2016

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Mountaineering in Skyrim (and Oblivion) made me miss the days of Morrowind and being able to enchant boots with "Fortify Athletics" (or whatever skill it was) so that you could cross the entire map in half-a-dozen bounds :D Being able to jump clean over the Ghostfence was awesome :D

9. Neutronman

Neutronman What's a Dremel?

Haha, yep. I can't argue with your analysis. My son loves this game, but he has never bothered with any missions, preferring just to explore on his own.

10. el_raberto

el_raberto What's a Dremel?

I liked Skyrim o.k. but got bored after about an hour trying to replay it on a second play through. This never happened on either Oblivion or Morrowind. Now if they had re-released Morrowind with improved graphics instead of the more recent Skyrim, then they might have had my money.

Last edited: 5 Nov 2016
  11. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I was mostly bored by the environment, Skyrim itself is just too bleak for me. Even with all the mods it's simply not as inviting to me as Cyrodil was. I never realised how much I missed and craved those lush, green vistas and deep blue skies. The sun made me feel happy, as if I was walking around some quaint, idyllic version of Dorset.

Skyrim had a beauty to it, especially modded up to the nines. But it was a rugged, cold variety, which is perfect for what the game is, but doesn't lie with my personal preferences.

Like oblivion though, it suffered from inevitable invulnerability. You simply become too powerful for the game to be fun, but if you artificially break this then you get other issues where the balance was right before. IMO this is an area they need to put a lot of thought into. Those moments when you're just starting to gain power are fantastic, it would be great if you could keep that feeling going for much much longer, I only want to feel like a god when basically everything is finished.

12. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

i felt the game was very boring and empty to be honest.

13. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

I'm no Skyrim fanboy, but I would have a hard time saying it was empty, boring perhaps (if it doesn't fit with what you want then of course it can be), but there's an awful lot of content in there. My quest book was always chocka-block, usually by accident too. Lots of hidden things around too for the adventurous type to stumble upon.

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Strange, I had exactly the opposite experience, nearly all explore-games, the opponents level with you, and I've always found that strange.
    If I wonder through a not-so-dangerous area, and get attacked by...bores and low class bandits, they fit the area.
    If I happen to stumble upon the same area later in the games, the bores and bandits have somehow turned into something 10x as dangerous, while the area stays the same.
    Always bothered me.
    I'd expect my rising abilities to allow me to travel more dangerous lands, not to change the ones I've already explored.

15. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yes, the enemy levelling bothered me as well.

I got the shock of my gaming life when, in The Witcher 3, I happened across a group of enemies (ghouls, I think it was) and decided to dismount from Roach and take them out... two hits later, Geralt is dead. Turns out I was level 14, they were something like 45.

16. Panos

Panos Minimodder

They should have remastered Oblivion which is much better game, not Skyrim.

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup. Or Fallout 3 of course. Thing is I have a feeling both of those would be actual really hard work.

18. ibbeebee

ibbeebee What's a Dremel?

That was what I liked about Nehrim "well once I took out the warning messages" you never knew what you were going to meet in the next ruin. It had the same problem as most games though, if you were too much of an explorer the game got to easy as you progressed. But that was fairly easy to fix, I just made changes to how experience points were counted & then you really needed all the Experience points you could get.