1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Lian Li: Michieline (FINISHED)(56K Not Ok)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Michieline, 30 Jun 2003.

1. Michieline

Michieline What's a Dremel?

Small extra project ..

My brother has messed up his Logitech Multimedia keyboard... so I tried to fix it.. but it was beyond fixing.. he spilled liquer int he keyboard (ricard to be precise) , and the white transparant sheets were messed up !

So I focused on the multimedia parts of the keyboard.. since it works usb, and I still had my old normal keyboard, I thought it could act as an expansion for my keyboard.

There are 2 main parts

1 part with music-controll .. folume.. mute, play/pause . stop.. next,... previous..

and another part a scroll wheel , 'go' button, and previous page button.

the usb cable is connected to a small pcb underneath the music-part... then there is a flat thingy that connect the 2 parts... it has 8 wire's on it !

Pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

well as I sed before.. 8 wire's ... now I wanted to extend this.. as it was only a few inch...

how ??
    well... a couple of feet of leftover LAN-cable was PERFECT for this..
    (they also have 8 wire's)

so... the soldering began..
    here is a pic of my 'solder-skillz'
    (this is the smaller part, with the scroll wheel)

[​IMG]

Other part.. the duck tape came in handy here !
    [​IMG]

Ok
    TOP: bigger music-controlling part
    Center: PCB for controlling everything.. the transparant sheets for the keyboard itself come in here aswell..

Left: the Lan-cable soldered on to the port that normally connects to the small scroll part.
    Right: the USB cable

Well, it works perfectly.. but a kind of a useless project... it was mostly just filling up my time...

Oh well, it was a good soldering exercise.

Eye candy:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Michieline

2. Michieline

Next problem :)

Well
    I just got a new 120HB hard drive.. this is surely needed, my old drive is just filled...

This new hard drive will be split up
    into

1 Windows ME - 3 GB
    2 Windows XP - bouth 20GB
    1 Backup file's (image's) - 20GB
    1 storage drive.. for all files to be shared.. - 56GB (plusminus)

I didn't want to have bouth hard drives to be connected at the same time.. (don't ask why...)
    And I didn't wanna order 2 Lian-Li Aluminium changable hard drive racks..

U know those things that u can pull out the hard drive with.. the little boxes...

So I found the answer on a thread in this forum!

I connect them bouth to the IDE cable, bouth jumpers are set on Master .. but I never give them bouth power at the same time..

How ?? 4 pole switch !

Here is the stuff I'll be using to make this..
    [​IMG]

what you are seeing is the following
    • 2 Blue Leds
    • 2 aluminium LED holders (I already putted the leds in)
    • 2 Resistors (5V -> 3V) (for the leds)
    • 1 - 3.25" Lian Li Bezel (floppy size)
    • 1 - 4 pole switch

What else was needed ?

• 1 Female Molex
    • 2 Male molex
    • or is it the other way around ??

Eye candy:
    (the led looks green, but its really blue... stupid camera)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Work:

Pre-drilled 3 small hole's at equal distance
    [​IMG]

Enlarged hole's for perfect fit... and test fitted everything
    [​IMG]

close up of test fit
    [​IMG]

Soldered everything.. the diagram is pretty simple..
    just 4 wires of the molex go in...
    and 8 go out.. (2 molex)
    then I just putted the led and resistor parrallel , on the +5V -12V outs of the switch..
    and alot of shrimp wrapping
    [​IMG]

Fittin....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front on
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

New harddrive selected
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It works perfectly !

U just gotta be safe with the switch, NEVER switch it when power is on...

U could take the free bezel above it ,and mount a flashing red led that works when power is on.. to warn u not to switch the switch..

I was going to do that, but then I changed my mind.. its on my room and nobody gets in my room.. so I just hope nobody switches it !

3. Michieline

I also bought some New stuff for my computer rig

• Black Logitech Multimedia Keyboard
    • Black Logitech MX500 optical mouse
    • Targus 4 port USB Hub
    • ACER 17" LCD (AL718) Screen (20ms respons time)

Plans with the USB Hub

the Hubs are in a plexi thingy that lights up BLUE (reason why buying it) its fairly light and compact..

so I went searching my WHOLE town looking for some magnetic strips, so that I could stick it to the side of my case..
    (just behind the little 'dip' in it.. (lian-li case side's all have them..))

I then finally found them... after 3 days of calling and driving around..

I got home.. got the double-sided tape and stick the magnetic strip to the bottom of the usb hub... held it against my mothers cas end it sticked...

then I went to my room.. held it against my case.. and... it... DIDN'T :wallbash:

then it hitted me... magnets don't stick to aluminium
    :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :waah:

3 days of searching down the drain...

after some thinking, I just taped the leftover to the case, so the magnetic strips , stick toghether...

the result was actually better then the orignal idea, because now I'm always sure its on the right spot... and its very easy to remove the usb hub , if its necassary for whatever reason..

and the strip that I sticked to the side of my case is pretty good-looking...

Eye candy:
    (the camera had a hard time focusing, with all the lights...)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know u cant see it very well.. but trust me on this... it looks very good ! the black with the blue-litted plexi usb ports :)

here are pics of keyboard screen and mouse

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Well.. I guess my project log is finished for now !
    I hope U all enjoyed it

I know there wasnt really much 'modding' envolved.. (exept maybe for the hard drive switch...)

but I'm very pleased with the result... I have a none-average, none-stock computer, and I'm very pleased with the looks...

aluminium... black, and lots of blue light !
    (only the lcd is still beige... for now)

I have some idea's for the future, but for now i'll let my case as it is !

Greetings
    Michieline

PS: all comment is welcome

PS2: Much thanks to the www.hamlesh.com public gallery , for hosting all my pictures !

Michieline

4. Sid

Sid Banned

Nice case but it's not really modded from what I can see, nevermind a project.

Host is a bit too slow for that number of pictures I'm afraid. Only really saw a few pics.

5. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Pics working ok here.....looking good m8 :thumb:

6. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

Where'd you source the switch?

7. rodaniel

rodaniel What's a Dremel?

Michieline, my case has a built-in optical drive bezel that's functionally very similar. I found - and think you might too - that it works even better if you remove the faceplate from the front of the disc tray so there's less of a chance of it snagging on the 'lip' that hangs lower than the tray. And removing the faceplate is not a permanent thing - it just slips up and off.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I like the clean, sleek look you're maintaining with this case and I'm interested in seeing how your PDA LCD mod ties in as work on that progresses.

8. Michieline

@Sid : well.. everybody has to start somewhere.. I will agree on the fact that there hasn't been much modding envolved on this project (so far).

And its a free host, but it works very fast for me.. it only takes a few seconds for the whole page to load, maybe the problem is more located with you , then with my host.

But I still like the look of my case so far.. and I wanted to share that with others.. I can understand that the pro-modder dosn't have much on this project .. but maybe some noob's like me find this intresting

@Lithium : thanks

@A13n0rma1 : hi , I'm sorry but I don't understand what u mean with 'sourced' .. (english isn't my native language)

If you mean where I go it ? I got it from my local electronics shop... who also sells DJ equipment, called Electro 8000 , he also sells all the stuff of velleman , a electronics supplier (www.velleman.be)

@rodaniel : thanks for your tip ; I have heared that before a couple of times.. but it really works very smoothly with me.. But i'll try, maybe it will work even better then !

the only thing that bothers me, is that my first drive (on top), is beige.. the other is a kind of grey so that fits in pretty good.

thanks for your comment aswell.

and ur case looks good aswell

and indeed , the 'real' modding that was going to happen here, was the built in PDA/LCD ... but i'm still waiting for the software to be written..

I asked a college of my dad , and he sed he would look into it , ounce he had the time.. but right now he's in the middle of a divorce.. so I think he dosn't really feel like it for the moment..

so i'm still looking for someone to do the software part (will be paid though)

Thanks everybody
    Michieline

9. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

looks great, just one questions where can i get some "and alot of shrimp wrapping " like you used? :D

10. Michieline

@dagamore :

Sorry if i mispelled it.. thought it was written that way.

but u can get it at a normal electronics store.. (where they sell parts.. so not ur hifi-store) they have them in all different diameters and colors.. pretty cheap aswell

Michieline

11. dagamore

dagamore What's a Dremel?

I know what you meant, it was a troll post, something I never does, but I was bored at work, and it just struck me as funny the shrimp wrapping.

In addition, that looks like a tight mod, you are doing, it looks great; I can?t wait to see how it turns out. :D