1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors What do you drive? - The Photo Gallery

Discussion in 'General' started by :: Phat ::, 28 Jul 2003.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I had quite a range of cars in my life.
    Learned in my Dad's Series IIIA Land Rover.
    Upgraded to Mom's Synchro 2.3i VW Bus and gran's old Corolla.
    Bought a 1.4i Baseline Polo as my first car (this would have been in 2006 or so)
    Upgraded that to a 2-year-old Mk.V GTI that I got for ~40K under book value from some lady.
    Didn't like the GTI much and traded it for a Volvo S40 2.4i. LOVED that, but there was an accident involving a drunk guy, sleeping in the middle of the road that wrote the car off.
    Then bought the Fiat Bravo Sport that the wife now has, then bought the 86.

Re: pricing around here.
    The GT86 costs 421.500 here (~23K in your money at today's rates). When I bought mine a few years back, I paid 298.000 for mine (brand new - yes, they did get more expensive since)
    The RS costs 699.000 here (~39K in your money).

I have decided that, unless something more drastic happens, I'll suggest to the wife that she tests a Focus ST, a Golf GTI and a WRX. I'll try to push her towards the WRX (because it's a WRX and is pretty quick), and see if she wants one.
    If not, she can keep the Fiat, and I'll use the money for something more fun in a few years (that next-gen "Supra"/Z5 could be interesting)

2. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

All this talk of WRXs, STs and GTIs and I'm sitting here wishing I could find a couple of grand to fit a TTE supercharger kit to my little MK1 Yaris...

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

TTE supercharger kit for MK1 Yaris you say?
    Fitting one to my wife's Yaris would give her a heck of a surprise!
    I LOVE superchargers - I've always wanted a Shorrock supercharger for the old BMC A series.

4. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Yup, bolt on goodness primarily for the 1.5l T sport but they should fit the 1.3 as the engines are all but identical (slightly longer stroke on the 1.5 T sport). Takes the power from 105bhp to 150.

The original TTE ones are getting on a bit now and not too easy to find with all the bits and pieces such as the piggy back ECU but Blitz also make a kit.

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Wow that's crazy pricing for the RS!

Sounds like the WRX will be a good call :thumb:

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

6 Weeks and counting from Today (ordered today) for the new motor :)
    Mazda CX-5 2.2D Sport Nav in Dark Crystal Blue mica.
    (150ps SKYACTIV-D Diesel (2WD 6-Speed Manual)

Image from google.
    [​IMG]

7. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

M2 finally arrived, it's a little bit epic.

8. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Phone call from the Dealer today :) delivery in 2 weeks now they sure pulled that one out the bag or they found one somewhere :p.

9. oasked

We NEED photos!

Can't just make a statement like that without! :)

10. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Recently got a new (old) car.

52 plate BMW 330i Touring m-sport:

[​IMG]

Loving it so far. Been driving a diesel for the last 6 years, so it's great to be driving a petrol, loving the 6 pot engine! Glad I held out for a manual 330 to turn up, almost gave up and was tempted by a couple of manual 325's which came up. The car is so clean, no rust, no dents whatsoever, just a few stone chips up front. Wheels are pristine, interior is almost spotless black leather. 138k miles on the clock, so it may need a little tlc (there's a small oil leak that looks like the rocker cover gasket needs replacing), but it feels very tight, and goes well. 237bhp is nice to have, especially in N/A form. Sounds great after 5.5k rpm.

My 320d served me well, but something catastrophic happened to it a while back. Either the , timing chain went snap, or one of the injectors lost it's head I think, because there was a sudden loud bang, followed by a cloud of white/grey smoke, and a pile loud banging from the engine. Sounded like something had ended up in one of the piston chambers, and considering the age/condition of the car (dented one of the doors a while back), decided it wasn't worth getting it looked at, so it's sat on my drive as we speak.

Any suggestions what to do with it? It just had 4 brand new tires the day before it went bang + an MOT and work done to the front control arm, so it owes me some money really! Was considering setting a set of steel wheels from a scapie, removing the alloys and trying to sell them separately (considered keeping them as a set of winter wheels for my new 330i, but the 16" alloys won't fit over the new car's calipers); then just scrapping the rest.

I'd considered breaking the car myself, but not sure I can be bothered with the hassle + don't think the landlord would be keen on having it sitting out there for much longer. Pretty sure my tenancy said something about not having Taxless cars on the drive!

Last edited: 13 Nov 2016
  11. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

12. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Ha ha, will get them sorted over the next day or two when I get home.

13. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Cheers Arboreal. The smoothness of the straight 6 felt a little strange to me initially. I've been used to the kick of a turbo for so long, that until I looked at the speedo I didn't quite realise how fast the car was. The instant throttle response is another thing to love. Gotta be honest, not sure there's too many better, more versatile cars out there for £2,500 which I payed for it. Hoping that it's on the verge of becoming a bit of a classic, and I'll actually see it appreciate in value, especially as it's thr rare manual and I barely do 4k miles a year. We'll see.

Turbo could have been another culprit on the 320d. There was a nasty smell when it went, felt like the engine was chasing revs as well before I turned the key. The dip-stick still registers plenty of oil though, so I'd kinda rules that out. Either way, it's likely that it would have cost more than the car was worth to have it fixed, hence not bothering. I'll try Gumtree.

If anyone wants anything off it before it goes, and is in the Cardiff area, give me a shout. It's a topaz blue saloon, light grey cloth interior. 4x205 55 r16 brand new tyres, no rust on the wings, drivers side door is very dented though.

14. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

[​IMG]
    Picking her up on Wed. Should be a lot better than my Vauxhall Viva

15. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

As promised...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Nov 2016
  16. Strudul

Strudul ~

FTFY

17. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

Thanks xTatic, finally worked it out...

18. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Damn the M2 is such an aggressive looking car for being a (comparatively) small motor. One thing I don't understand is why it's so expensive (ok... except that it's a BMW). Do they line the interior with unicorn leather? :lol:

Very nice pics :thumb:

19. oasked

Loving the M2 - looks great in grey!

This is my new ride (arrived Saturday!):
    [​IMG]

20. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

I wish the interior was unicorn leather - quality in there is not that great (plenty of scratchy plastic in some bits).

Price reflects a few things - the complete suspension and brakes are lifted from the M4 and make the car too wide to be fully built on the normal production line - lots of reworking off line etc which make the production cost rocket. Suspect the next M2 will be produced more normally so should have a more special interior / engine etc, and will be more available as a result.

As it stands, really enjoying it and plan to keep very long term.