1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks M.2 SSD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sparkyboy22, 16 Nov 2016.

1. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

I have manged to get a new work laptop and the OK to upgrade to an SSD.

Laptop is a MSI GL62 6QD
    Details here: eBuyer

According to MSI it will take an M.2 SSD and I know nothing about them.
    A quick google tells me I want a Samsung 960 Pro but these dont look like they are available yet and I am going to struggle to get it through the buyer!

250GB will be plenty so anything of similar speed to a 960 for less money or same sort of proce and available now? (The boss is on holiday so I'm more likely to get it through while he is off!)

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Does it need to be that speed? a Kingston 240gb with 500 odd RW is £105 or something.

3. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Not necessarily but I would like to go for as fast as I can get away with.

4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

FWIW I was using a Asus RAIDR which was terribly fast for the time and I thought it died so I replaced it with a standard SSD. It turned out to be fine (wasn't inserted properly, it's PCIE) but I noticed so little difference between it and a Sandisk I didn't bother switching back.

I now use the RAIDR for my fave games.

sparkyboy22 likes this.
  5. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

Still not sure, 500MB vs 800MB in your example or 500MB vs 3000MB that I am looking at, would I notice the difference?

Manage to persuade the buyer to go for the 960 Evo showing on scan as available in a week or so!

Thanks for the help though

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

You will absolutely notice the difference. I went from a Samsung 850 EVO to an M.2 drive, and wow... the difference is unreal. The massive difference comes from both the speed and NVMe over AHCI.

Have a Google and read up about NVMe vs AHCI, and you'll soon see why the difference is so big. :)

On a separate note, my Ultrabook came with a dog-slow Samsung M.2 drive that I replaced with an 850 EVO and the difference is night and day. It's so much faster and so much more responsive now. Unfortunately, it is only a B+M key (not full M.2) but it is still mega quick for the machine that it is. Passive machines and a high-speed NVMe drive would be a bad idea anyway... they run pretty hot.