1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How brilliant are Apple?

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 9 Sep 2003.

1. penski

penski BodMod

I have weird hearing...I can hear 13 or 14Hz tones and 23KHz tones...But I have a 'dim' bit between 18KHz and 20KHz where I can still hear but it's slightly lower in volume and a little muffled.

*n

2. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Thread Resurection!! :D

It's been shipped! :rock: :rock:

3. penski

penski BodMod

*stares envy through GOO's forehead*

*n

4. GreatOldOne

Owww!

/GOO rubs forehead.... :)

5. andrew

andrew What's a Dremel?

/Me runs and slaps GOO on the head because he has a new Ipod and I dont.

6. kanuslupus

kanuslupus Minimodder

I only have about 350 CDs that take up about 40GB. I don't like them all, but thats why I have them on my PC. Randomizing thousands of tracks is very nice. I maybe have a few CDs worth of tracks that I could do without hearing.

If I had the money and certainty that I'd be able to use the CDs, I'd buy more (no, I don't download music). Not having much money is the only thing making it "easy" to not buy CDs right now. *sigh*

7. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

8. CrOaKeR

CrOaKeR Host warrior 4, Vengence!

I have been looking at the creative jukebox zen nx, which is about £260 for 30 gig. But I look back at the ickle 20 gig ipod for £300 and somehow convince myself its worth it! Neeeeed\ :rock:

9. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

INTERFACE!!!

thats why the Ipod is so good, it has an easy to use interface. its simple and clean and without clutter. simple controls. like almost everything apple has put out it has alot of thought put into it.

lots of thought into the little details as well.
    but i dont need an IPOD, i have a laptop. it goes everywhere with me, so it is the heaviest CD/MP3 player i have ever owned LOL.

10. penski

penski BodMod

That SomethingAwful bandidth leech is gonna get replaced with SomethingNasty soon, Kevo.

*n

11. maj

maj What's a Dremel?

damnit! i ordered mine just before they released the new ones :( - got the 30 - still extramly happy with it though! such a sexy piece of hardware!!

While that thread on SA was damn funny penski is correct - host it yourself or this thread may start showing its onlookers some lovelly transvestite (sp?!) imagry (the bandwith leech image used at the moment by most sysadmins seems to be that lovelly picture!) - though they could go for the good old clasic goatse ;)

12. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Maybe ;)

13. maj

maj What's a Dremel?

for some reason it never entered my mind that you could be a server admin either - meh!

edit - probably cause there has been a few 'OMG found an image leech!' threads recently

14. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

sorry to be quite rude, but roughly how much did you pay for yours, and if i understand correctly its coming from the states?
    does that mean you used the apple store??

15. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

It should be £299 inc shipping for the 20GB version. I don't think it comes directly from the States to your door (bad business sense) but no doubt it somehow originates from there.

I'm about to order one from the Apple Store (UK site) as it's the exact same price everywhere I've checked (£299) and you're guaranteed to get the new 20GB version.

16. felix the cat

i might just have to get one of those....

what are you doing software wise?

17. GreatOldOne

Correct - I ordered from the Apple store UK (which is based in Ireland), and it did indeed cost £299.

I expected it to arrive yesterday, as it had been shipped on Friday. However, I hadn't realised that it was comming direct from the Apple factory in TAIPEI! (Haz probably crossed paths with it on his way from the airport to the hotel.... ;) )

According to the shipping tracker, it's currently sitting in Luxembourg of all places.

Software wise, I'll probably stick with MusicMatch (the iPod shippes with it) for the short-term, as there are very strong rumours that iTunes for windows should be available sometime in October

18. felix the cat

sounds like youre one lucky guy, having that coming to your door...if i knew where you lived/worked, id try to hijack the shipment :p

nonetheless, keep us posted on first thoughts, and any problems you have, as that will help me make up my mind either way...

i take it on the us apple store, where the 20gb version comes out at about 240pounds, that is without good ol' english tax and delivery right?

19. GreatOldOne

At Apple store US, the 20GB iPod is $399, which at the moment is around £241. The problem with that is that a) there's no international shipping option on the US site, and b) if there where, you'd get stung for import duty on and whatever 'handling charge' the couriers slap on it for paying the duty for you when it arrives at customs - so if you could do it, you'd probably end up paying more for it if you got it from the states then from here.

So unless you have understanding rellies over there that can buy it for you and then send it 'under plain brown wrapper' so to speak, I'd go the UK route.

20. Marzupial

Marzupial What's a Dremel?

I purchased a 15gb Pod in July. Absolutely stonking piece of hardware!!! :rock: It will definately get me through my Uni years, without my car stereo.

Eh well...i got mine for £276 with apple educational discount (i dont start uni for another 2 weeks either! :hehe: