1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cases Transporting a full atx system half way around the world.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phoenixck, 21 Nov 2016.

1. phoenixck

phoenixck What's a Dremel?

So I'm moving to New Zealand for 6-9 months and wanted to ask you guys about transportation of a full sized atx system via plane.
    I think the cheapest and easiest way would be to pack CPU motherboard, storage and gpu in their original boxes (CPU installed in mobo) in hand luggage. And pack PSU and case in hold luggage.

Now the crux of the matter is that my build is currently in a phanteks enthoo primo, which could probably double as hold luggage. So I'm thinking of taking a test bench type thing as I don't trust taking a fully or partially built PC through customs in a Lian li tu300. I was also considering taking a disassembled case like a parvum.

Any thoughts?

Btw it's a full x99 atx build not the 2500k that's now a home lab.

2. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Take the mobo/cpu/gfx/ssd with you and buy the rest of what you need when you land. Dump what you bought on gumtree when you leave.

3. phoenixck

Prices in NZ are horrific, Australian horrific. As it is I'm also packing an IPS screen with me...... In the hold..... I'm going to put a piece of plastic over the screen pack it surrounded by clothes in a hard case and pray.

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

As a regular visitor to the SFF pages on [H], there are threads about transporting PCS by air and the smaller TUs have been used in that case.

Parvums are nice (I own an ITX one) and pack nicely flat.
    What's the used market like in NZ? Could make some savings there
    Any Kiwis on the MP????

5. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

If prices are that bad you should bring two systems with you and sell them both before you leave! Profit!

Also, you could look into getting one of the higher end Zotac Magnus PCs or buildings a SFF system before you go. There are a few "small" cases that will hold a full size ATX board.

6. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I would grab an ASRock mitx x99 board and mount the CPU. I would bring that, the ram and the graphics card in hand luggage (not assembled), all in their antistatic bags. I would put the power supply, air cooler, solid state storage in the hold. When I get there I would find a nice cardboard box and build the system on top of it.

7. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

I will be honest if I was moving to NZ for 6 months I am not so sure I would really need my gaming rig in full :p

Could grab a Alienware Alpha off eBay, they go very cheap (I got one for about £200 a while back) and are pretty decent for gaming with their 750 Ti.

8. phoenixck

This is essentially my plan, except paying 200 for the space savings an mitx in box gives over atx box seemed extortionate. I would also build it the other end on the mobo box but with waf (wife and gf acceptance factor) to think about she wants it looking like a computer........

I was all up for either building an mitx or matx system but being on the x99 platform makes it prohibitively expensive. I could almost get an entirely new mitx or matx system for the same price.

The Lian li tu series look awesome and I really wanted to go that way, but I can just imagine loosing my stuffing with security being idiots they open the case up and start pulling wires and components looking for the bomb that's clearly there because wires.

The used and new market is so horrific in NZ I was thinking of selling it off before I come back and buying a new system when I get back.

9. phoenixck

Gf thinks I'm unbearable if I don't have a gaming (and VM play box) system. And for some reason buying a new system doesn't meet waf approval even if it work out cheaper.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Well I'm thinking put the most delicate parts in hand luggage and that seems at least awkward if not infeasible with ATX. If you can bring two hold bags maybe just fill one with the computer parts.

11. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Then your only choice is to part it out and hand luggage it.

Also take a big bag of lego and build this at the other end

[​IMG]

ta da!

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've carried motherboards, CPUs, GPUs and HDDs as cabin luggage more times than I can count, with no issues whatsoever. No packaging, just in their anti-static bags.

A couple of cases (both large) with PSUs (and nothing else in them) have gone transatlantic in their original packaging, again with no problems.

Screen is the one thing I'd be wary about. A bit of shunting about in a suitcase/box isn't going to bother a case or any other electronic components, but unless there's a bit of free air around the panel, it's a risk.

If you're that worried about it, how about going cold turkey on gaming for 6-9 months and go out and take in the new environment and, y'know, do things and meet people, like, outside? I hear the weather is lovely.

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

TBH, I'd probably just sell and downgrade to a ITX machine that you can carry whole in your hand luggage (SGO5 fits easy for example)

14. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I bought an Alienware MJ12 home from the USA in a hard case. Plenty of bubble wrap and it got here fine :) However, I took a boat so I was the one to unload it (I chose to do so so I could have peace of mind it wasn't hurled into the hold).

I did send a bike cargo once. Cost me a fortune. Didn't realise that there was a tax on cargos when it got to the other end either !

Best method is leave the case behind and put it in your regular luggage.