1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Can't decide which graphics card to get!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by civicteer, 26 Nov 2016.

1. civicteer

civicteer What's a Dremel?

Hello

I have been thinking of getting a new GPU for a while now as my MSI R7870 TWIN FROZR is really showing its age.

I was all set to get ASUS TURBO-GTX1060-6G

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-TURBO...F8&qid=1480174388&sr=1-2&keywords=NVIDIA+1060

But now reading the recent bit tech review I'm thinking I should be getting

Sapphire AMD RX480 Nitro+ 4 GB

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sapphire-P...eywords=sapphire+radeon+rx+480+4gb+video+card

Which benefits from being £35 cheaper BUT I only have a corsair 550 PSU and the higher power worries me a little

The rest of my system is:

MB: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard
    CPU: Intel 3.30 GHz (i5-6600)
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB
    PSU: corsair 550 VX

I only have a 1080 monitor but I was thinking of getting a bigger size, currently only 23 inch was going to get 27, not sure but I'll probably just stick with 1080.

Currently playing planet coaster which on max gets about 20 - 30 fps but can drop to 15. Far Cry 4, which struggles on max, also playing the remastered Skyrim. So that's the kind of games I play. I want to get DOOM too.

I dont play PC games as much as I used to, so don't want to spend crazy money but I do think think the GPU needs updating. I want to spend £250 max which is why the AMD looks quite appealing but I don't want to blow up my PSU ha.

2. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Your PSU is nowhere near being maxed out, maybe 3/5ths with everything under full load :) I'd personally go for the RX480 (FreeSync Cheesecake!) and performance is very similar to if not better sometimes than the 1060.

3. Deders

Deders Modder

If it really is a VX then it's likely to be quite old. Any idea how old? It's probably time to replace if it's older than 5 years.

Other than that, if you are not overclocking then the rest of the computer will draw less than 100W easily. That leaves you with about 350W for the card so 550-600W is around the wattage you want to look for if you need a new PSU.

4. civicteer

awesome thanks, I'm super paranoid about it ha. I did consider getting the 8GB one but according to the review its not really worth the extra £45! :)

5. civicteer

It might be at least 5 years old as I got it in my old house, I've lived here for just over 6! I guess I could get the 4GB 480 and then use the money saved to buy this?

6. Deders

Deders Modder

If you've not used the PSU much over the years it might be ok. Personally I'd avoid the VS series, it's supposed to be lower than their CX series.

Have you considered something like this?

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

8. civicteer

9. civicteer

Thanks for the replies, I'll have a think about which PSU to get and I also need to decide between the 4 and 8GB version. The 8 GB is 239 on amazon so might just get that :)

Last edited: 26 Nov 2016
  10. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

deluxe upgrade , you still have to own the base game.