1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows I can't open games in steam... Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bulldogjeff, 24 Nov 2016.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Right chaps here's the problem. I recently fitted a new HDD and decided to do a fresh install of W10.

Now my prvious OS was the upgrade from W7 to W10 and everything worked just fine.

Now when I open some games it says loading, opening etc, then does nothing. Some games run, but the newer ones don't wanna play nice at all.

I've read all sort on the forums but nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas lads?

I'm going into withdrawal from not playing my fav games :wallbash:

2. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

Have you tried re-verifying the games??

3. bulldogjeff

yeah tried that one also treid reinstalling and running in W8 comparability mode

4. techhead

techhead Minimodder

Are your games on your C drive under the steam default location. or are they on another drive if they are on a separate drive have you set the pathway so steam knows which drive read from

anti virus can stop game from working try disabling your AV

you said that you have done a fresh install have you down load all your .netframe work files

5. bulldogjeff

I have tried disabling windows defender, .netframework is on and the correct pathway to my drive set up.

The bit that's got me stumped is some games load and others won't

6. Cajoma

Cajoma What's a Dremel?

Try unplugging your game pad and put the relevant dll in your directory folder. You can download the dll from here

Or you can check the compatibility of the games. Set it to default W7 if it is set to W10.

Last edited by a moderator: 29 Nov 2016
  7. bulldogjeff

W10 only has W8 compatibility mode, which I have tried to no avail.

I don't actually think thats the problem, the game that won't start are all recent ones

Last edited: 1 Dec 2016
  8. techhead

techhead Minimodder

a couple of last things too try .first one
    back up your games to a safe place on your pc and uninstall steam clean out registry's if C cleaner still works on win 10 reboot install steam client then verify the games which will not run first .
    It has something to do with the appcache in steam getting a bit messed up . people have said you can delete the appcache folder or remove it to a safe place on you pc and get steam to reinstall it again

I have also read that some times win10 and steam has a problems with C++ or DX runtime library's and get corrupted .But I know nothing about win 10 and is run time environments or if it still uses C++

I hope this helps you but after that I am fresh out of ideas

9. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Are you 100% sure all your HDDs are OK? It kind of sounds like one of them may be having a slight meltdown. Get them tested with HDTune or GSmartControl.

10. techhead

techhead Minimodder

Good point ....also check the windows event logs to see if any thing is in there

11. bulldogjeff

Thanks for the replies lads.

I have reinstalled steam twice but it's the same every time, as I said only the newer titles.

I have heard and read about a few problems with C++ I've deleted it and retried, I tried to put an older version on but it's not having any of it, has to have the latest version.

The HDD is fine, I was going to clone the old one as everything was running perfectly, but decided as it's a new one do a fresh install and get rid of the old junk from doing the W10 upgrade.

12. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Have you moved your hard drives around recenty? As in possibly swapped the sata ports they were on?

13. bulldogjeff

I did, but I can't see how it would affect anything with a fresh install, especially as some of the games still work fine.

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Well I had the situation where I couldn't open the likes of Origin and other programs because my disks were not in their original order of SATA ports that they were when installed in the OS. I swapped the disks around and everything worked again.

15. bulldogjeff

I have had a similar problem, but hunting around the web, it does seem that its a W10/ steam comparability issue.

16. bulldogjeff

I have now totally run out of options.

My final thought is the steam can f**k off and I'm going to go back to discs !!