1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Help choosing a new living room TV

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Maki role, 7 Dec 2016.

1. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

So with the new year fast approaching, we're looking to replace the ageing living room tv with a much more up to date setup, but WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT TO CHOOSE??

Basically what we're looking for is a 65" 4k panel, nice and slim and with the best specs and longevity we can get. Budget is £3-4000, so there are lots of options around, which might be making it more difficult tbh.

• 4k is a must, I've been steadily accumulating as much 4K content as possible as I can watch it on my PC monitor at that res. So it would seem silly not to use it on a much larger screen
    • I know it's best to go and see them in person, but you only get part of the story there. If you go to a high-end department store you'll see tonnes of great looking TVs, but you don't get a feel for longevity, ease of use etc. For instance OLED panels look amazing, but I've heard less than stellar things about their longevity and burn-in problems.
    • A thin bezel is quite important too. The wall is only so wide, so making the screen that large does mean that there can't be wide speakers for instance around the outside. Currently the tv there is 50" but with a massive speaker bezel, having a significantly larger screen would really help given the viewing distance.
    • Curved vs flat? I don't buy into the points about ease of viewing on curved monitors tbh, but I do think they look very nice. I wouldn't be that fussed on either point, both would look good.
    • Input lag isn't a concern, this tv won't be used for any gaming most likely so it doesn't really matter.

So basically I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions or experiences? The pricing isn't all that important as long as it's within budget, but bear in mind that anything chosen will likely sit on the wall for 10 years at least. Not big on the whole buy cheaper now and upgrade in 2-3 years cycle, just end up with a worse TV now and a significantly worse one when you forget to upgrade in 5 years because it's not that important.

2. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

3. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Ces in January, can you wait to see whats announced?

4. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Saw one in Harrods last week, great looking panel. Thanks for the stack of info :thumb:

Could do, won't be buying until around then most likely anyway. That said I've had pretty bad luck with waiting on CES announcements. Tried that with monitors last time and waited 8 months for a product that as far as I know never hit shelves. An alternative popped up, which was fine, but it was still a bit of a bummer.

5. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Avoid curved displays. They tend to reflect any source of light and it'll drive you to distraction!

6. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Question?

While I appreciate you have a large budget have you considered the hisense range?

I recently purchased a 58" for my living room, and I cant be happier, admittedly i moved from a 8 year old 1080p LG.

All for the princely sum of 519 (including 50 trade in on the old one.)