1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Suggestions for Portable HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arboreal, 4 Dec 2016.

1. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Please let me know your recommendations for a 1TB Portable HDD that is USB 3 and bus powered.

I haven't kept up with machinations of whose drives are OK this year and who owns what.

Thank'ee kindly

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I've got a HGST branded 1TB external that gets absolutely thrashed on my Xbox. It's still going strong a year later, with zero signs of it breaking any time soon. :)

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I have a 1TB WD My Passport Ultra that resides in the car as an encrypted off site backup of my important data.

4. Mighty_Miro_WD

Mighty_Miro_WD What's a Dremel?

Hi @Arboreal!

Since you're looking for a portable external drive I can recommend WD Elements or WD My Passport Ultra which was already suggested by @David. They both are very good and reliable drives, and the only difference between them is that the second one is hardware encrypted and password protected while the first one is not. In terms of capacity, WD Elements comes with maximum available storage space of 2TB while WD My Passport is up to 4TB.

Here are links if you want to take a look:
    WD Elements - http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=yDcBwS
    WD My Passport Ultra - http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=SqOM4S

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have. :)

5. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Hi Mighty_M, thanks for your links.

I was thinking (having done some research online) about getting the WD My Passport Ultra as the encryption could be handy for work data.

Thanks B & D too - I think your choice is the winner D (artist formerly known as Spreadie:thumb:)