1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Need expert opinion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GandalfDDUK, 30 Dec 2016.

1. Slizza

Slizza beautiful to demons

Good time to upgrade from a i7 920 if you can afford it. You can get a good performance leap.

2. GandalfDDUK

GandalfDDUK What's a Dremel?

thanks that might be my next step if all else fails but have managed to get 920 overclocked and running at 3.92ghz with max of 4ghz at present.

3. GandalfDDUK

K running stable at 3.92ghz so think next step ssd then increase memory then new gpu and hey presto fairly decent rig again

4. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

Nice. Just keep in mind that you may want to back that off a bit for a long term OC, especially when summer comes around and ambient temps go up.

5. GandalfDDUK

right just found on amazon can get the exact same memory i have (6gb) for £55 making my system 12gb, would this along with my oc improve my system for now in minecraft and ark? with a view to getting an ssd for faster loading times as well, and further down the line a better gpu or would i still be p"£$ing in the wind?

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sounds like a good plan to me as the SSD and GPU can always be used in a new system a few years down the road if, or when, the OC'ed CPU and extra RAM no longer cuts it.

7. GandalfDDUK

Thats what I was thinking but would doubling my ram now make any difference considering age of processor etc (6+ years) or would I be better going for new build considering the memory wouldn't be able to be used in a new system whereas most other things would as that could be £55 towards a new build. IF extra memory now would cut it I'll get ssd and gpu as oc as already improved system performance.

8. play_boy_2000

play_boy_2000 ^It was funny when I was 12

I'm beginning to sound like a broken record here.....
    YOUR PRIORITY SHOULD BE A SSD

If you can afford both a SSD and the RAM, then by all means, spend away!

9. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

A SSD while great for all round snappyness if you have a issue with lag in a particular game it will do squat for that.

Will load faster but won't help games performance one bit.