1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Arcturus by PEXON

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by shrop, 13 Jan 2017.

1. shrop

shrop El Jefe of Sleeving

Welcome
    this transmission
    from a fallen star
    otherwise known as Arcturus​

[​IMG]

CASE:- Lian Li PC-V1000L
    MOTHERBOARD:- MSI Z270 Gaming M5
    CPU:- i5 6600K (7700K TBA)
    GPU:- SLI MSI GTX 980Ti 6G GAMING or MSI GTX 1070 FE
    RAM:- Crucial 16GB Sport DDR4
    SSD #1:- Intel 600P M.2
    SSD #2:- Crucial MX300 525GB
    HDD:- Samsung M8 500GB 2.5"
    PSU:- Silverstone Strider 750W or SuperFlower LEADEX Titanium 750W​

Hello! Time for another build log. Off the back of my Overwatch build, I was itching to start a new build, something a little different this time, no theme really, just a nice, clean and sleek build; only one chassis brand to help me achieve this... Lian Li. My first big project was a Lian Li and I have been wanting to build in one for a while, the PC-V1000L caught my eye and got the creative juices flowing.

Lets get the case out of the box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

inb4 it looks like a Macintosh ;)

[​IMG]

Easy LAN access with those wheels!

[​IMG]

Original plan was to go for MDPC-X Platinum Grey and Shade 19, but I am still unsure as the idea is to keep it clean and simple; however, it may need some colour later on down the line

First up, sleeving those USB 3.0 front panel headers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Light is bad on the following photos (sorry)! I ordered some aluminium angle and some plexi to mock up a lightbox/ midplate and mother board tray cover

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have some more pictures to add this weekend, just waiting for them to upload on imgur!

Happy weekend! See you soon.

James/pex

Last edited: 14 Jan 2017
  2. shrop

As promised, here is another update :)

I order a sheet of 6mm thick aluminium for the midplate, but when I picked this up from Overclockers on Friday afternoon and installed it in the case, it wont work, its way to thick...

[​IMG]

I went with the M5 as the dark grey heatsinks and reasonable sleek visuals will suit the build better than most of the new Z270 boards from any vendor, so many RGBs. The XPower board would have been great, but 350 for a Z270 is a little too much for me, maybe if I was going X99, but hey.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will be reusing some Crucial RAM from a previous build, the white heatsinks will add some nice contrast to the black/ anthracite mobo

[​IMG]

I think I will remove the stickers once the boards been tested etc

[​IMG]

Next up, some drilling. I wanted to create a nice clean look for the cables, namely the 24 pin as I am still undecided on the SATA cables, or if I should go all M2 SSDs or go for an external NAS.... Anyway, I used a cable comb as a guide and drilled through the plexi mobo tray and case with a 3.5mm drill bit, luckily there wasn't any chipping of the plexi, I took it nice and slow.

[​IMG]

NOTE:- SLEEVING COLOUR is not the final product, just some spare wires I had ready sleeved

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It needs some filing to neaten up a little (but I cant find my round jewelers files). With that said, I am really happy with the result using an old Makita 240v drill lol :D

[​IMG]

I realllly like Vanilla sands, it was my original idea to go with Plat grey and VS, but I don't think I can make it work.

Anyway, cheers for looking!

3. shrop

Right, cable update! :D

Managed to get the 8 pin and 24 pin, they need to be taken down a little bit. I plan on cutting each wire to different lengths to get all the cables laying perfectly in the rear of the case...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty time consuming getting each cable through the mobo tray and secured in each connector!

[​IMG]

and even MORE time consuming pulling them through to the right curvature!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Progress looking good! Next update will hopefully have some watercooling stuff involved :D

[​IMG]

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Shrop build :rock:
    Is it bad I see a metalhead with fetal alcohol syndrome and a comb-over in the MSI logo?

5. shrop

Cheapskate :dremel::thumb:

Erm, no comment lol :idea:

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ooooh, I dunno, that cable braiding looks a bit ropey. :lol:

I'll get my coat

7. shrop

woah! :O lol

P.S in regards to the cables, I realllly think there should be some dark blue or purple in there to match with the astral vibes, thoughts?

8. Impatience

Impatience Minimodder

Agree with the Dark Blue or Purple.. Seems very monochromatic atm!

9. C4B12

C4B12 Minimalistic PC's

Yay! Looking forward to this. :D

10. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

This looks great, but I think you definitely need some colour in the mix - it wouldn't need to be lots of colour, just an accent or two.

11. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Possibly a neon strand of purple or two into the mix (ultraviolet purple), something to distract yet compliment :thumb:

And I love that case, one of my favourites :D

12. shrop

Cheers lads, I deffo think it needs some, I have an absolutely manic week of work so I will have a look one night this week. The watercooling gear comes in this week too, hopefully :)

13. shrop

Hey guys, sorry for the lack of updates, I've been really busy with work, plus no sign of the watercooling gear as of yet, so not a lot of progress can be made yet...

I managed to have a play around with the 24 pin however and I found that a few strands of MDPC-X Vivid Violet and a shake up with the pattern works wonders breaking the cables up and made them pop a little better. I am planning on integrating more Vivid Violet in one way or another and perhaps adding some light purple/ lilac fluid... hmmm.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also had to do a bit of bodging with the top rad, even though the case is massssive, the top will only really support a 30mm thick rad and a set of Scyth 12mm fans in order for me to get a nice cabling job on the 8 pin showing through....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Small MDPC-X Cable clamps and some stainless countersunk screws later...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers for stopping by!