1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

http://www.windowscentral.com/project-scorpio

Everything we know about the next Xbox: Project Scorpio
    What is Project Scorpio and what can it do?

Unveiled at E3 2016, Project Scorpio is the next Xbox, but this will be a generational leap like no other. Project Scorpio is slated for a Holiday 2017 launch.

Project Scorpio will be the most powerful console ever made. Microsoft claims that Scorpio will rock 6 teraflops of computational power and 320 GB/s of memory bandwidth, Microsoft is aiming for uncompromising 4K UHD resolution gaming with Project Scorpio. The current Xbox One has a peak throughput of only 1.3 teraflops with a theoretical maximum of 200 GB/s of memory bandwidth, making Scorpio potentially over 4.5 times more powerful than the Xbox One.

Project Scorpio will power high-fidelity virtual reality experiences. Microsoft is also making a VR play with Scorpio, noting that the next Xbox will power high-fidelity VR gaming. Presumably, the "high-fidelity" part of this statement alludes to bigger games more befitting of Oculus Rift, PSVR, and HTC Vive, rather than the VR "experiences" seen on mobile devices. It remains to be seen whether Microsoft will provide its own VR headset or simply defer to third-party headsets, as seen by the partnerships revealed in October 2016.

Further reading clicky:

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

CES this week may see Vive2 & Fove announcements, according to the BBC.

3. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

4. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

5. rollo

rollo Modder

I think the Vive and Rift could be priced out of the market quickly when you look at the pricing from competitors. The premium experience they may well remain problem with that is you lose the 90%. Think Facebook has too much invested to let this happen.

PlayStation VR has set a price mark that the consumer is willing to pay if sales estimates are to be believed.

Should all help VR either way. Let the price wars begin.

6. GTIgeneral

GTIgeneral Minimodder

I'm sure i read somewhere that oculus was working on a cheaper headset? might have totally imagined it tho. I'm glad I've managed to hold off buying a VR headset, I can see the cost of VR changing a lot over the next 12months, Wouldn't be surprised to see some good offers on the rift and vive once other headsets start to emerge

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I find it "interesting" that Oculus has no booth at CES this year, but Facebook has a huge one.
    "Rift by Facebook" incoming?

9. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

The RoadtoVR piece leaves out a critical line from the Verge article:
    They're supposedly only a few months from shipping, have a shiny and polished design mockup, but do not have a functional prototype to show. That's not encouraging.

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

all this will be in a pair of glasses one day

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Lol at nvidia shares up from 35 last may to 107 today

Guess most of us in the thread knew this was coming

12. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Best TPCast video summary I've watched so far...

Sold on the concept already, alongside the Deluxe Audio Strap. Not yet seen how the TPCast links to the Vive Link Box/PC. Anyone have any pictures or info on this aspect of the setup?

13. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

They're using a SiBeam 60GHz WirelessHD transceiver pair to carry the video. WirelessHD supports encapsulating USB as part of the stream, but SiBeam market the USb link for their modules as a 'debugging interface'. TPCast may just be using the debug interface for normal data, or they bay have added an extra transceiver pair for USb return.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Does that mean the Vive Link Box is still required?

15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Seeing reports of issues with PSVR temporarily blanking after a few minutes use. No word from Sony, but victims debating heat issues vs power management problems.

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Another good one from tested...

I hadn't realised the puck has pogo pins that can connect to a peripheral!

17. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I will be shortly receiving some juicy redundancy and have a new role all lined up.

I'm looking to get a VR headset and am torn between the two options or just waiting.

My current most played games are Xcom2, Gears 4, FIFA, Elite Dangerous and some BloodBowl 2.

Given most games (except ED) dont support VR should I just wait for the next generation or should I jump in now? If I choose to jump which way should I go given most of my gaming is done on a pad seated.

18. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

Rift.

I find the galaxy map frustrating to the point I don't play ED for very long (when I pick it back up) so you may well be better off waiting till gen 2.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2017
  19. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

+1 for rift. See Bit's front page. It's back down to £499 without controllers.

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

The Rift is the simplest and is tuned to seated experiences.

Having said that the Vive when setup correctly is a revelation when experienced in 'room-scale' mode. Also has the advantage of 'Revive' that enables play of Oculus locked titles on the Vive! Having said the Vive is a frustrating piece of hardware to setup and maintain. It needs a patient even tempered individual to persist with the weird VR specific problems you'll inevitably encounter! :thumb: