1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Why the Core i3-7350K Is a Good CPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 26 Jan 2017.

1. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I wouldn't specifically have an issue with it being dual core, if it actually delivered. But what this review proves is that it might perform more or less the same as a similarly priced 4 core CPU does at standard.

Without counting the platform cost, you basically have to overclock it as much as you can to approach the same performance of a standard chip of comparable cost which is guaranteed to perform at that level out of the box.

Even before factoring in overall costs this chip doesn't make sense.

p.s. I fully with you Bindi - Intel should ditch the iGPU completely on certain chips. AMD managed it on a couple of chips recently, and they're much more into selling the integrated product than Intel are.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

In principle I certainly agree. Haswell-era is doing me and the wife just fine - now 3 generations behind!
    What I mean by we "shouldn't" is "this shouldn't be happening". There's a lot of gushing over 5GHz Kabys and not a lot of criticism on the PCH platform stagnation.

This is worthwhile, but you should include a H series if you want to make a better comparative, as the feature-set of the B's is about half that of the Z's, so it's not entirely fair. At least H/Z is pretty close.

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Ignoring AMD's Bull... CPU, at least their Radeon commitment gives is real value. 512-cores + constant driver updates gives pretty decent entry-level game play and faith that it'll continue to have support in newer games. Intel's marketing claims for gaming are based on 3DMark ffs.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Is someone who's buying a mainstream non-enthusiast locked Core i5 processor likely to need any of the H's features over the B? You've got, what, 12 PCIe lanes instead of 20, same number of SATA ports, 25 HSIO lanes instead of 30, support for 12 USB 2.0 and six USB 2.0 ports instead of 14 and 8, double the M.2/SATA Express devices, and no Smart Response tech.

Show me someone buying a locked, mainstream Core i5 who needs five extra HSIO lanes, eight extra PCIe lanes, more than two M.2/SATA Express devices, and two more USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports, and I'll show you someone who shouldn't be buying a locked, mainstream Core i5.

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The 7350k is beyond any shadow of a doubt the fastest dual core cpu in the history of mankind.

Does that redeem it at nearly the same cost as a quad core?

No, especially considering it does not oc much better than the chips with more cores, if the 7350k did 6 - 7 Ghz without problems it would be a different situation, but with quad cores easily reaching 4.8+ Ghz the ability to get a dual core chip to 5.x just loses meaning.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2017
  6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

you can play borderlands 2 on a phone :p

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I think the thing with BL2 is that it looks great even on low settings, so forgiving is the art style. At my gaming res (2560x1600) and with all settings maxed out, even my 980Ti dips well below 60fps at times.

8. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I get lows of 50s running it 4k on both my Fury X and Titan X via VSR/DSR.

Still a great looking game that has stood the test of time very well due to the art style. Desperate for BL3, but might be next year :(

9. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

its not adapted

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJtkvYNbELY

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Ouch. I wonder how Anthony will respond to that pretty convincing assessment of the situation. Prepared to continue recommending this pathetic offering from Intel?

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

^ I think it boils down to "paying above board for the thrill of overclocking". Basically you get the enthusiast experience at an enthusiast price-tag, but forfeit the enthusiast performance. :lol:

12. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I think Intel just got the memo... "overclocking I3 please"

From about ten years ago.

13. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

It's a dual core/HT with one of intel's middling iGPUs - even the laptop I bought for £299 new has a vastly better intel IGPU, and it's 2c/4t. It's an incredibly overpriced chip, it's that simple.

If this had an iris pro, they might be on to something, but it doesn't, so it's a horrible, horrible chip.

The time spent overclocking a chip is not free, likewise the associated platform cost and non-stock cooling requirements are not included in the chips price, which makes for a *devastatingly* poor value.

14. Taua

Taua What's a Dremel?

exactly this, Intel are asking that you fork out to do their work, but you don't even get anything to show off at the end of it, just a 2c/4t cpu that will be instantly obsoleted at that system price point.

15. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Cinebench, my SB2500K @ 4.8ghz on a less than clean system manages 600 on the cpu benchmark.

I realise that this cpu could be classed as a gateway to a modern Z270 set-up but it's only 20% cheaper than the 6600 or 7600 and its clock is at max achievable OC to perform.

More significant is that it's no quicker than someones existing SB set-up - meaning no reason to upgrade unless you really want those extra Z270 features.

Regarding gaming, an online MMO like World of Warcraft (although to benchmark) is more cpu limiting, I can tell you from experience - I had to google search optimisations when my new 1070 appeared no quicker than the 770GTX it replaced (reducing view distance and environmental detail which in that game lean on CPU performance).

I would prefer to Grab a cheap 2600K and Z87 motherboard instead or save a little longer for the 6600K or higher.

I sometimes wonder if die shrinking SB and making it an OC monster would of been better for the consumer?

PS: Totally agree with other comments above, had the CPU come with latest Iris Pro GPU onboard, could of been a real winner (assuming price wasn't changed as a result).

Tags: Add Tags