1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

annoyance with mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Luda, 25 Sep 2003.

1. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

good day mates,

-first post while livin in the uk :lol: -

right then, well i love my motherboard to death, Chaintech 9CJS Zenith, but there is one thing thats "a bit dodgy".. it seems like everytime i plug in a usb thing, it gets power and everything, but isnt dected or recognized or w.e untill i restart. this gets really annoying when i want to plug in my minidisc player. i have to plug it in and restart everytime i unplug and replug it back in.. im not sure if this is a mobo problem or bios or OS or what

one more thing. my HDD got labeled as I: instead of C: and i cant change it thru MS's disk manager or diskpart in prompt any ideas?

2. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

anyone?

3. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

firstly, what os so i can give you more help on the drive letter problem...

with the other one, not sure what bios that mobo has, but is pnp os enabled?

4. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

xp pro.. what is pnp os? if default then probably yes.. the bios is phoenix i think..yes its Phoenix - awardBios

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

now i can help better:
    pnp os - plug and play aware os, which xp is, so make sure this is set in the bios:eek:n my one its on the last screen of the bios. this might help with your usb plugging problem, but otherwise im not sure...

for the drive letter, right click on "my computer" and click on manage. this should load up the computer management. click on disk management, which is about halfway down on the left hand side. this will then show all your drives attached to the system, select it on the right, rightclick and one of the menus is change drive letter. you will need to reboot aswell iirc. if this is a bit confusing and doesnt work, let me know and ill try and get a screenshot up...

hth

6. HellDiver

HellDiver What's a Dremel?

You can't change the drive letter of the boot partition. Well, you can, but Windows breaks horribly. You're best off reinstalling.

7. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

nope, i tried it tht way before but no avail.. ugh i dun wanna have to reinstall... arent there any prgs that wud do that?

bout to try pnp thing.. ill keep posted

Cheers

8. Luda

Luda What's a Dremel?

ok update..i have an old usb hub thing that i plugged in, restarted to get it working.. now using this, i can plug in my minidisc and other usb things and have them auto detected, however, the ports directly connected to mobo still only recognizer the device after reboot.. could this be since it is USB 2? and the hub is USB 1.1? also, i changed "resources controlled by" to manual from Auto(ESCD)

reset configuration data is at diabled, pci/vga palette snoop is at disabled, and fdd airq can be free is set to yes. hope this helps..

9. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

If your boot drive is I:\ then upon a re-install disable all USB ports and disconnect anything USB from the machine also if you have any extranal storage devices remove them also.
    remember this may not fix the problem if you only go "Over-the-top" you may need a FULL format.

I always found chaintech's to be dodgy with everything.