1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Recommend a current Android Tablet

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RickDawson, 7 Jan 2017.

1. RickDawson

RickDawson Minimodder

anyone know of a good current android tablet to get?
    I want to replace my old (very old) iPad2
    numerous issues software wise.

Since I got my iPad2... two apps are now on android (Lemur and TouchOSC)
    I will go for an android tablet.

2. doobleshaft

doobleshaft What's a Dremel?

The last one I bought was an Acer Iconia B1. After an initial battery problem was sorted the tablet has been great. My daughter seems to constantly use it with few complaints.

But for value and features it is worth looking at the Chinese suppliers. Reliable ones I've used include Everbuying, Newfrog and dx.com. Of course you have to wait a while and may have to pay import charges but the value one the higher end ones is pretty good.

3. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

All depends on your budget really, if you want a high end tablet then look no further than the Galaxy Tab S2 9.7 (I have one and it's easily the best Android tablet I've used) which can be had for £350, sometimes less if you shop around.
    Mid range I would look at the new Galaxy Tab A1 for £200-£220, below that I would say an Asus Z300m which are about £150.

4. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Not currently, problem is that most of the chinese brands have pretty much given up on android tablets and are still selling the same stuff that was nice 2 - 3 years ago.

With smartphones the chinese brands have the brands available in the west beaten to an unrecognizable pulp not even worth p***ing on, but android tablets? its pretty much tumbleweeds.

I'd suggest pick your poison among the usual suspects: Galaxy Tab S2, Asus Zenpad Z3xx / Z5xx, Huawei Mediapad M3, or consider Windows / Apple tablets.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2017
  5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Tbh i'd struggle to recommend any of the current 'droid tablets.

6. doobleshaft

I have two Chinese Android phones and for performance and features they knock spots off what's available from better known brands such as Samsung for similar prices. For the tablets I can't comment from recent experience but smartphones I can when I say they are worth considering.

But, I'm also aware that some have GPS issues where the accuracy isn't good enough and that some are certainly not recent hardware. Some were as you say and still are selling same old stuff which is often what was cutting edge a few years ago.

This is why I found a Chinese smartphone I liked the look of and the spec and researched it before I considered buying it. There were plenty that are just junk or old hardware but I'd still argue it is worth considering a Chinese model, just research it and look for independent reviews first... If you can't find an independent review then don't buy it.

7. doobleshaft

I forgot to say in the previous post, yes agreed these are good and while they may be more costly I'd be happy with for example a Galaxy Tab S2. The main negative thing about buying the cheaper ones for me is that accessories are harder to find, non existant or you need to buy generic items and this is likely to mean my next tablet will not be a Chinese one.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Thats the thing, their phones are brilliant, but those who make the brilliant phones often don't even have tablets, ZTE, OnePlus, Vivo, Qiku, LeTv, Elephone and so on have very good phones, but none of them have ever even attempted to make a tablet.

There are some brands that do make tablets like Teclast, Chuwi, Cube etc, but in recent times they have focused almost exclusively on Windows tablets.

9. Chunkers

Chunkers Meat Popsicle

From what I am reading, the market for Android tablets has crashed and a lot of manufacturers have left the segment.

I am in a similar position looking to replace an ageing Nexus 7. The problem for me is that for the price of a premium tablet it looks like you can buy a competent 2 in 1 Chromebook which will (soon) have full access to the Android play store and be able to run all the apps, like this Samsung one.

Choices

Chunks

10. ashchap

ashchap Minimodder

I was thinking of getting a tablet a while ago and remember the latest Sony tablet looked awesome... Xperia Z4 I think. It was very expensive at the time though so in the end I got a new laptop instead!

11. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Why not the NVidia Shield K1? It had the Nougat update earlier this week.

12. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

I recently bought my wife a Lenovo Yoga Tab 3, and must say it is well worth a look.