1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Buying a mountain bike

Discussion in 'General' started by techhead, 5 Feb 2017.

1. techhead

techhead Minimodder

I have been thinking about buying a mountain bike I have £400 to spend and I need some advice. As I have not owned a bike since 1984(a long time ago)
    bikes i have had a good look at

Scott Aspect 970 2017 Mountain Bike £379.00
    https://www.evanscycles.com/scott-aspect-970-2017-mountain-bike-EV286177

Cannondale Trail 6 2017 Mountain Bike £499.99
    https://www.evanscycles.com/cannondale-trail-6-2017-mountain-bike-EV284083

Carrera Vengeance Men's Mountain Bike - £320
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vengeance-mens-mountain-bike-black

Carrera Vulcan Men's Mountain Bike £370( this is a higher spec)
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/carrera-vulcan-mens-mountain-bike

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated
    thank you

2. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Try looking for discounted 2016 bikes, you'll get a better bike for your money if you are happy not to have the latest thing.

BTW, I bought my first mountain bike in 1984, one of the first in the West Country.

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Of the ones you've listed my preference would be the Cannondale (I'm biased as I have a trigger though)

It's worth looking at some of the bigger retail stores offerings as they seem to come with better specs than the big name brands whilst also getting great reviews. At this price point I'd be looking for an air sprung fork and hydraulic discs, most of the bikes will have a mix and match drivetrain, but with a gear only shimano deore groupset coming in at around £120 it's a worthwhile upgrade once the stock stuff starts to wear/gets broken.

Calibre Two.Two V2 £399

B'TWIN ROCKRIDER 560 £525

Vitus Bikes Nucleus 275 VR (2017 not available just yet £489.99

A couple over budget but shows what a bump in price would get you, the 2016 Vitus was thought to be the best bike you could buy for less than £500. It's also worth bearing in mind that you can get some cracking deals on 2016 models, so don't rule that option out.

4. techhead

techhead Minimodder

Thanks for the reply's I was looking at the Vitus nucleus it has a lot of spec but i will keep looking around thanks again

5. techhead

techhead Minimodder

Has any one else got ideas for a good mountain bike .I will increases my budget up to £600 for the right bike.
    I do value 13eightyfour suggestions they ware all dam good bikes just not in stock. I would had that Vitus in a heart beat.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I would always avoid Suntour forks, always seemed to be rubbish when I started biking, my first Saracen had them on and they didn't last long.

I'd reccomend a Btwin from Decathlon, I've had a Rockrider FR150 for years and it's been great, you seem to get a pretty decent spec on the bikes too for the price.

7. techhead

techhead Minimodder

That's what I am thinking the low end sun tour are very bad. just been to go out doors and had a look at the Calibre Two. Two a nice little bike. I was going up to Decathlon to look at the Btwin later on

8. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

BTwins get really good reviews. Well worth considering.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

10. techhead

techhead Minimodder

the BTwins bike they have not my size in stock and the Kona Kahuna Mountain Bike 2016 is a little out of my price range

but keep the ideas coming

11. techhead

techhead Minimodder

12. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

13. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Like all things the recommendation will depend upon your needs and usage.
    • What sort of riding are you planing on? Commuting (asphalt, cement, cobble stones), Maintained trails, Single track, Downhill, etc.
    • What level of usage? Daily, Weekly, Monthly, etc?
    • Storage? Will the bike be left outside, kept in a garage, lockup cage, etc?
    But the most importantly factor is how it feels to ride. You cannot get this from a website.
    Personally I wouldn't buy a bike with out riding it first. I have gone to a store having done all my research thought I knew which bike I wanted then then went for a test ride... The bike didn't have the right fit/feel for me. A completely different cheaper bike with inferior parts felt so much more comfortable (same frame size but with a shorter top tube). A simple decision, better fit/feelings bike, and One can always upgraded the parts. There is more to a bike's fit then just standard measure by frame size.

14. techhead

techhead Minimodder

The cycle to work scheme does not apply to me as I am a long team carer for my mother(8 long years )
    I am one of these people who as to go the shops and test things touch and what ever else then go home and think about for a long time( it took me 6 months to pick a keyboard).
    No to downhill biking but everything else why not

shops I have been in
    Evans Liverpool
    Halfords Liverpool
    Go out doors and giant today

15. veato

veato I should be working

I recently went to Center Parcs and realised my bike is getting on a bit now. Started to look at what I could get quite cheaply and found a Sloope BTX 4.6 Disc 2016 at Evans for £359.99 in my size. Specs looks pretty good for the price (although I'm not sure about those front forks) and with Cycle2Work tax savings the effective cost would be £245. It's apparently reduced from £599.99 but that could be an inflated RRP?!

I'd prefer a better known brand with some better forks upfront but I don't think I'd have any complaints for the money. Now I just need the wife to agree it!

16. techhead

techhead Minimodder

17. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Oooh, that's a nice looking steed. Enjoy!

18. techhead

techhead Minimodder

I tried to get all the best bits from all the bike shown to me

air suspension, 2x10 drive train , race face crank, shimano deore XT shadow, hydro brakes

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Good choice. I'm not into mountain bikes but they are the same as everything else, you get out of it what you put into it IMO. Definitely a good idea to buy a last season bike. They are usually pretty much the same only in different colours but with a much lower price tag.

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

That is a lot of bike for £600, well done!