1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Moving an EFI partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by riggs, 9 Feb 2017.

1. riggs

riggs ^_^

I've just bought one of those cheap Chinese Win10 tablets which came with an Android dual boot setup. I read a few guides detailing how to remove Android and merge the remaining free space with the Win10 partition. What they don't describe is what to do when there's an EFI partition in the way.

Currently, my disk layout looks like this;
    [​IMG]

So I need to create a new 100MB FAT32 partition at the beginning of the disk and move the contents of the current EFI partition over. Is this even possible? I've got no install media (which would probably be the easiest way of doing things) and was hoping to do this without too much messing around.

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

It largely depends how locked down the bios is, as most of the utilities i can think of would require you to boot from a usb pen drive [even reinstalling windows from scratch would].

As for install media, MS have the media creation tool which'll download an appropriate image to a usb stick or an iso.

3. riggs

riggs ^_^

I figured as much. Got a USB-C adaptor on the way as well as an OTG hub, so it looks like I'll be doing a fresh install. Just need to figure out how to extract the Windows key/activation, along with all the drivers (as far as I can see, Chuwi don't offer the drivers for download).

Thanks for that MS link btw. :)

4. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

You Could check with something like "showkeyplus" for key/bios info.

But generally after activation by user win10 is activated by digital entitlement. So a hardware hash is stored @ MS and when reinstalling you should not need to input anything, it just matches up it's hardware hash and activates.

(works on my linx10)

5. riggs

riggs ^_^

Oh, ok, didn't realise that was the case with Windows these days. I ended up extracting the product key anyway, even if I don't end up needing to use it.
    Also managed to backup all the drivers with DoubleDriver, so I should be good to go as soon as this USB-C adaptor turns up.

Thanks for the replies btw :)