1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster Wow, my first elecrtic shock!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by SiMonTiST, 14 Jul 2003.

1. death_star

death_star What's a Dremel?

A guy from india did that. he lost... well you know

2. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

I've done it by accident.... quite possibly the worst pain I've expirenced in quite a while

3. BlackMan

BlackMan Minimodder

almost every modder has been electricured before
    i mainly do it on capacitors but i have been done by 240 a couple of times it is sorta fun from 240 but the capacators get annoying :rock:

4. mbcx0tjb

mbcx0tjb What's a Dremel?

SteveyG if you're still around:

the back of the psu has a sunken 'kettle type' connector with male pins on it that link to the ripple smoother caps inside it. Since this is a bit less fatal than having the exposed male pins on the pc end of the wall cord (a la zapwizards ammo case pc), thats where they stick 'em.

Just came back to this forum as i was reminded of it after getting two quite hefty shocks off the bleeding water tap in the sink of this tip's coffee area. Since the whole place is soaked i reckon its mains, and am now lurking and waiting for someone else to make coffee. :naughty:

5. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

Sorry to be a tit, but that's actually quite dangerous and irresponsible. If you got shocked off it, you should find the wire that's grounding and sort it out. Someone gripping a wet tap with their whole hand and not being able to let go could easily be fatal.

Still funny though :hehe:

6. MikeTitan

MikeTitan Ling Ling: 273 Battle Points

hmm If everyone will bear with me.. I assume you have all played with or seen those track cars that are on a mini track and u race against ur friend. They have lille metal pieces. I took one off one day and for somereason i stuck it in a light socket. I took a shock before there was a loud pop the metal piece flew across the room and the breaker went out. I felt like Kramer on seinfield for like 10 mintues after. It buzzes ur body, didn't hurt to bad, but it was way weird.

7. hacnslash

hacnslash What's a Dremel?

i get 120 shocks all the time from exposed wires around the place, i also get shocked on psu's a lot, doesn't really bother me anymore(prolly fried my brains too much). i only got shocked 3 times on 240 (when i was living in europe), i was like 6 years old and stuck my finger in the lamp socket as my dad was getting a lightbulb bu left the lamp turned on and plugged in....it was...ahem....enlightening.

8. Starman97

Starman97 What's a Dremel?

Hmmm ..
    Touched the metal end of a HeNe LASER tube.. ZOT! about 2KV with a fair bit of current supply.

Working on my Jetski on day at the lake, it was running poorly, so I thought I'd pull a plug wire to see which cylinder wasn't firing. Of course it's in the water, waist deep and I'm all wet from riding it, so when I pull the wire off the plug, the spark finds the next best path to ground.. ME!
    OW.OW.OW.OW.OW good thing I pulled the plug off the running cyl and the motor stalled.

9. madhatter

madhatter What's a Dremel?

no but seen it done on some programs, and that's as close as i'd ever want to get, thankyou very much! :D

i built this device though that uses a HEX invertor to send 3v (ish) signals to your brain at different frequencies. if you get the right frequencies you can get your brain to release endorphins which make you feel all happy and jolly. i followed the design from some bloke, and the machine ended up the same as this one :- www.voodoomagicbox.com

10. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Wow, That machine promises what I already have, It will make you a Sexual Superstar!... Don't need more of what I've already got!

11. at_b

at_b What's a Dremel?

I keep getting small shocks from my home made inverter and from my router s case because i always touch it having bare feets...I never learn though...except that, the usual 220v, 9v on tongue, blowing the transformer on my hi fi setting it to 110 out of curiosity

oh...and yeah... :sigh: blowing a STK 4321( as i remeber) based power amp while i was overclocking it s power source with around 20 volts on every branch to +-65 unaware that it cannot take all the current that my speakers are able to draw. it blew up, also breaking my car subwoofer and a large bass driver from one of my speakers :baby: feeding them with DC ...that really hurt :duh:

12. Butch

Butch What's a Dremel?

got shocked once by 330 volts in a disposable camera!! (makin a tazer :idea: ) and stripping fone cable with theath:S

not good ideas :eyebrow:

take a blowtorch to some big@$$ capacitor, i toook them to the tinnnnny ones on a graphics card, OMG IT WAS LIKE FIREWORKS NIGHT ALL OVER!!!! :D :D

mah old m8, he got a paperclip, shoved it from top to left (neg i think and top obviously earth) and it glowed and then from live to earth :eeek: well omg, the sparks that laid on the skool desks:p

Last edited: 2 Oct 2003
  13. deadfire

deadfire What's a Dremel?

Worst shock

I got a Electric kit for my birthday when i was like 9... I got bored one day so i stocked up on batteries... I put about 8 in the back to get the board started, grabbed a night light and 2 black wires... I plugged the nightlight half in to where it lights up. Then I connected one black wire to the board and to one of the prongs in the wall... I waited to see wut would happen.. Nothing... So I plugged in the second black wire to the board and connected it to the night light... Jeesus scariest thing in my life... It: shocked my cuz i touched the prong, it sparked out at me, it did a nice little white flash, then the 2 wires caught fire and raced towards the board... I did this 3 more times and actually had a race the last time... God those were the days :)

14. tamffc

tamffc What's a Dremel?

hacksaw blades and 240volt

try cutting through a copper cable 240volt with a hacksaw
    and watch that blade explode, luckily the shrapnel missed me

15. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

Man speaking of shocks!!! I remember getting this cheap beater case at a computer show.. (u get what u pay for) psu included..
    anything you would touch on the case that was metal would send your arm into a semi-convulsion if you werent wearing shoes and were standing on the concrete.. (HEY I LIVE IN THE BASEMENT!!) I at first thought it was some sharp metal that id keep jumping away from. then after putting my ear close to the case to listen to the beautiful humming of the cpu fan.. got the most enjoyable shock of my life!!! yay!!! my neck actually went stiff for about a minute :hehe: oh well.. if u get a computer show psu .. make sure the leads for the capacitors arent touching the casing!!!! :hehe: :wallbash:

16. tamffc

tamffc What's a Dremel?

that my friend is positively life threatingly, dangerous,
    imaging if a kid touched it.
    cheap psu,s dangerous to your health and your components health.
    a friend of mine had a cheap psu burst into flames he only buys enermax now.

17. Dogg

Dogg What's a Dremel?

nothing beats the time i messed up the phases when trying to wire a stage :wallbash: started a small fire.. ran like hell... didnt get shocked tho... but... yeah.. caused some panic (i only got in a little bit of trouble :worried: )

18. bluemoon280

bluemoon280 What's a Dremel?

:idea:

Share this with you....

I used to work in a pet store in a large shopping centre,,, and some customers approached and said 'look there are some wires hanging in the fish tank water, shouldnt you get them out before the fish get electrocuted??!!'.

So, i look and the fish are swimming around, pecking the wires, all looks fine, so i roll up my sleeve to pull out the lighting cable,,,, ......when 'BANG'!!!!!

240, volts through me arm , makes me jump like 'Bu****y' and yank me arm out,....

only to lean on the, now wet steel fish tank support frames... yup...bang, another 240v,,,,,,

Makes me feel a bit tingly, blows the whole, shopping centre's lights,,,

But the funny thing is ,,,, the fish were still happily swimming around,,,,

19. TheTazzBot

TheTazzBot What's a Dremel?

I swear, I was laughing so hard when i read your post.

But i have one for you.... stripping telephone live wire with your teeth.... and the phone rings :) DOH! Now thats a 48 volt jolt to the kisser!

20. tkwsn

tkwsn What's a Dremel?

How about down in a footer ditch reattaching phone wire when you touch the wire and it conducts between your ass and the phone wire? Ouch!