1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics which 9600 Pro model or manufacturer is best?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DJMyst, 25 Sep 2003.

1. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

I am getting a 9600 Pro in the next couple of weeks and have a couple of questions.

1. I have seen 9600 Pro's with the normal small square mem chips, and some with the long rectangle mem chips. Aren't the smaller square chips the faster mem chips??

2. Who makes the best 9600 Pro?? I have seen models from PowerColor, Sapphire, ATI Genuine cards, and a Tyan model card.

Thanks for all the help!!! :D :thumb:

2. iandriver

iandriver What's a Dremel?

3. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I have a powercolor one it works great.

4. Johnny Napalm

Johnny Napalm What's a Dremel?

I just bought the Sapphire 9600 Pro a couple of days ago and it's really good : core clocks up to 470Mhz (400 at stock speed) no problems, and the memory is good for about 330 (300 is stock speed). Some people have had the core up to 490, but I haven't tried it as yet. It's a great budget card with decent performance.
    Can't speak for other manufacturers as I haven't tried them, just my $0.02's worth :)

5. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

Thanks for the info guys. The 'Built by ATI' model is the one I'm gonna get. I did some checking and it comes with 2.8ns Samsung RAM which will make for some wicked OCs. :rock:

6. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

7. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

Pulled from hardocp's review: "Let’s first take a look at the RAM, because there is something quite interesting about it. First of all the lettering on the RAM chips is very faint and hard to see, so the picture above was kept at a large size so that you can see the writing better. In-case you still cannot see it here are the specs: Hynix HY5DU283222 F-36. With this code we can look up the specs and see that it operates at 2.5 volts and is rated at 275MHz. But wait a minute, isn’t the default speed of the RAM on the Tachyon G9600 Pro 300MHz? In fact, it is. Tyan is confident enough with this ram to go ahead and run it at an overclocked speed. This means that overclocking the RAM will likely be hindered greatly since it is already overclocked by 25MHz."

I thought about the Tyan card till I saw this. I've heard good things about it, but want the best OC possible.

8. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

right now, im running the card at

520/304... granted i dont have the best cooling right now, but that is w/ the stock hs and i havent really fine tuned it at all...

i need to fine tune it, and actually learn a little about o/c'ing hehe... im gunna play around w/ it more once i get back... but eh..

my suggestions is read reviews... lots and lots of reviews...

9. 3N1GM4

3N1GM4 What's a Dremel?

"What can I say about the Tyan Tachyon G9600Pro other than I was extremely impressed? After recently testing both the GF FX5900 and ATi Radeon 9800 Pro, I really wasn't even ready to give the G9600Pro a second thought. But after days of benchmarking this card, and about 2 solid weeks of hardcore gaming including UT2k3, BF1942 and Star Wars Galaxies, I am not only very happy with the cards performance, I would easily recommend it to ANYONE looking to pickup a great video card for less than $200 US Currency. With adequate packaging, cables and software, great monitoring and overclocking tools, and an innovative cooling design, the Tachyon G9600Pro is the clear leader in it's class for video card performance. While in raw benchmarking performance, we don't see the type of numbers that the R9700 and R9800's are putting up, I uninstalled an R9700Pro from my gaming system before putting in the Tachyon G9600Pro. I honestly could not tell the difference in gaming performance whatsoever. Typically I like to run my games at a resolution of 1280 x 1024 with default settings and the G9600Pro did not see any slowdown or dropped frames. While you won't want to enable any hardcore FSAA at that resolution, those of you looking for great gaming at 1280 or less, and NOT looking to spend a car or house payment on a video card, the Tachyon G9600Pro should definitely be on your list. "

eh?

10. timosy

timosy What's a Dremel?

Umm ... screw manufacturer ... i just bought the "built by ATI" one (normal one?). I have it overclocked to 520/330 and thats not even pushing it :rolleyes:

11. DJMyst

DJMyst yeah baby

I didn't mean for this to be a bash on ANY manufacturer. [H] gave the Tyan good reviews, it just wouldn't OC as far as the 'built by ATI' model. The 'built by ATI' is what I will be using, but don't just simply say 'screw manufacturer'. :nono:

12. tgxiii

tgxiii What's a Dremel?

One thing that you need to be aware of are the extra letters that follow the name of the video card. Powercolor has a Radeon 9600 Pro EZ, which has a lower clocked memory. The same is true for Gigacube. They call it LV.

Sorry to leech off of your thread, but I am also in the market for a 9600 Pro. Can anyone recommend any retailers? YesMicro was the best reputable company I could find, but if anyone knows where I can get this video card for less than $150, please share.

13. timosy

timosy What's a Dremel?

Ack, i'm sorry DJMyst. I've been sick the past couple days and not really thinking straight. I didnt mean that to be an attack on any manufacturer. The point I was trying (poorly) to make was that you dont really need to turn to other manufacturer's when the "built by ATI" one performs as well as it does. For software bundes, I would still recommend Sapphire...

14. tgxiii

tgxiii What's a Dremel?

One more question: because the Tyan Radeon 9600 Pro is overclocked, does that mean it won't last as long as other video cards? Doesn't overclocking reduce the life expectancy of hardware?

15. neonplanet40

neonplanet40 Minimodder

:D so they say but i have had no problems as of yet :thumb: plus if it does the chances are u will prob have sold it by then and have got a ge-force 10 or somthin :D

16. Hyjnx

Hyjnx What's a Dremel?

Quick question...

Why is the AIW 9600 Pro coming out AFTER the 9800 pro?

kinda weird

17. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

18. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Well the best are

BBA. (Built by Ati)
    Sapphire
    Connect3d

Do NOT get a

Powercolor
    Tyan
    Card using 256mb ram
    card with a suffix such as Powercolor Radeon 9600 Pro EZ

The tyan is a rip off as they are selling a over clocked card as opposed to the saphire and BBA cards which are 50mhz underclocked on the ram.

I have a sapphire and am currently running it at 490/387 thats a 90mz core o/c and a 87mhz ram o/c

Its friggin gr8!!!!!!!! :thumb:

19. tgxiii

tgxiii What's a Dremel?

Why not one with 256 memory?

Also, Gigacube sells 9600 Pros labeled as "LV." The memory is clocked at 400 MHz DDR, underclocked.

20. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

The cards that have 256mb ram come with slower memory (200mhz as opposed to 300mhz) and therefore performe worse than the ones with 128mb but at the same time they cost more :duh:

Tags: