1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Intel vs AMD - A question or something to think about?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nealieboyee, 1 Jan 2017.

1. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

...sounds it.

The whole thing came across as - OMG this is the best thing ever! Why? Because I'm being paid to say so!

2. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

so that's all you got from the video?

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

I'm always sceptical regarding claims made about a product when they're being made in a video sponsored by/paid for by the company who made the product. Also having worked for Apple, I know feigned excitement/enthusiasm when I see it.

But then I'm an eternal cynic.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

I got from the video is Vega is further away than we would like, and that using DOTA2 of all games is pointless. Especially with the gpu they used.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

DOTA2 was used for streaming whilst playing at the same quality , rather than offloading (paying for) separate hardware

6. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Yeah - I'm definitely going to reserve judgement until I see something that isn't being sponsored by AMD... Impartial that video ain't.

7. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

a non sponsored by video :p

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I can't fathom why you think the excitement is feigned. This is the first time in over ten years that AMD has been anywhere near Intel in the CPU stakes so it's momentous to say the very least. I follow Linus's channel and don't see anything other than genuine enthusiasm on his part - like most of us, he's taken aback at the staggering performance AMD has coughed up for CES 17, and we don't even have benchmarks from retail hardware yet (still engineering samples).

9. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Ten days and no updates? I thought this was 2017!

Any more news on Ryzen? I had a wee look and couldn't find much other than a little more info on upcoming motherboards. Still no pricing yet...

10. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

It's been mentioned they'll probably clock 4.2-4.4 for the 8 core stuff, maybe a little higher for quad, and should be cheaper along with the boards than the 6/8 core stuff from intel due to not having as complicated a memory controller etc.

I'm hype about it even though I've no need to upgrade, but just because I like the idea of competition and I've got a soft spot for AMD cpus, no idea why!

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'd say I'm in the same boat. Ever since Intel dominated with Core2 I've been quite anti-AMD, mostly out of frustration that they always seem to fall short. I remember when I had my Athlon 64 4000+ and was dominating my friends who all had crappy Pentiums. Oh, those were the days!

And I'm totally hyped about it too... even more so since my wife's on board with my £1K upgrade ceiling (which should be more than ample for 8/16 cores and 32GB ram). If Ryzen is as good as it's being made out to be, I should be sorted for the next few years. And to think I was totally primed to jump on the X99 bandwagon... eep!

12. rollo

rollo Modder

AMD clock estimates are always super high see gpus. Pre AMD 480 I saw screens of supposed 1500mhz gpu core. When the base clock on launch was 1100mhz ish you saw some major back tracks.

The biggest worry for me is that the 4 core has only just started sampling now, If it follows Intels pattern sampling to launch is 6 months. Which would be looking at a August launch.

13. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

TBH I'm not too bothered about overclocking - I'm buying primarily for a "work" machine which means I might have to endure all the nonsensensical gaming branded stuff just to have the option to overclock. There simply isn't enough information available on these motherboards yet and I am not in the least bit interested in their 4 core lineup, although I appreciate that others will be considering how stale Intel has become lately. :)

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I think it's time to bring this thread back into the fray so that Vault-Tec's benchmark thread doesn't get waylaid by impertinent discussion.

Prices for the Ryzen 8-core CPUs are now "known" (insofar as they can be at this time) and for me, having just shelled out on an X99 build, I'm not really phased by it. I made a decision not to over-spend on components I don't need, and it looks a lot like that would have happened if I was to buy the 1800X.

I'm still really excited to see the actual performance of these chips when they fall into reviewers' hands - it'll be nice to see AMD put up a fight for a change.

15. rend

rend What's a Dremel?

Just seen this on Scan

[​IMG]