1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Reveals Ryzen 7 CPU Lineup and Pricing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 22 Feb 2017.

1. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

They've been reduced since Scan put their prices up lol.

PRICE WAR !!!111oneone

Yeah totally agree. I am hoping stock levels remain and thus the prices don't go northwards. I hope AMD have chimed in here to stop that happening, because it made a mockery of the Fury X. It wasn't as fast as the 980ti yet it cost more and then ended up £60 more than that just to compound its misery.

Oh and 13? totally agree. The coolers are RGB so I am hoping that shaves £20 off etc.

3. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Promising.

Despite all the "sanctioned" leaks (most "big" tech leaks like this usually are sanctioned), and the numbers in this launch, I'm still waiting for independent benchmarks. I don't play many games these days and those I do play are rarely above 1080P, so aside from heat generation (and LOL @ AMD's record on heat!) at the moment I have little compelling reason to upgrade beyond my i5-4670K (this is a very toasty chip though...)

4. Vault-Tec

TBH Byron if the leaked Firestrike and Cinebench scores are real then for me they have already been reviewed. Those are the two tests I use to grade a CPU. So hopefully they are real scores and not just made up BS.

5. IamSoulRider

IamSoulRider Minimodder

I think people are getting a little over excited yes, especially as AMD themselves have said Ryzen IPC is equivalent to the Intel Broadwell architecture.

This means in gaming usage, we may not see AMD winning as much as some people expect, leading to claims of over-hyping etc.

6. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I don't think at these prices they are being overhyped. The entire tech community, apart perhaps from ardent green and blue fanboys, are glad that AMD are making an enthusiast CPU comeback.

7. Vault-Tec

How can they be over hyped? the 1700 offers double the cores of the 7700k at the same price.

The 1800x offers 10% (or around that figure) more performance than the 6900k yet costs half.

How does one not hype that up to the eyeballs?!?

Any way thanks to the Linus video I have pretty much seen all I would ever need to see to completely believe. Ryzen is bloody fast and it's bloody cheap.

8. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I'm delighted for AMD and think that it'll be a huge boost for them at first as they'll likely sell a lot of CPUs. Whether or not they can sustain these sales is the question, because that's what it'll take to truly dethrone Intel.

And let's face it, while the benchmarks show AMD ahead of Intel, the actual performance difference will be virtually intangible, and that's what's being overhyped here. The real winner for AMD is the price, not the performance...that's just the icing on the cake.

9. Vault-Tec

If the performance was poo then it wouldn't matter what they cost. Of course the performance is important. That's what we've had rammed down our throats for years with Intel CPUs. IPC, game performance etc.

AMD have handled this whole launch about perfectly. BTW, the 1700 outperforms the 7700k in gaming (BF1). So hopefully now we can put this whole Ebeneezer McCoreScrooge Intel thing behind us and actually move forward.

10. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Also if AMD are making money from Ryzen, intel are probably making money from the platform too from patents or whatever. Like how MS [iirc] make more £££ from patent royalties from Android than they do their own mobile OS. [Question: Do AMD still have to pay a license fee to intel for x86?]

If Intel are skittish about a 3-letter acronym beginning with A eating into their business, it'll be the other one.

11. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

I didn't say the performance isn't important; I said it's being overhyped. Intel have managed (barely) 10% with every new architecture they release, and AMD are claiming less than that but making a huge deal out of it. Even if Ryzen had been 1% better than Broadwell-E you can bet your bottom dollar that AMD would've gone to town on that, just to claim the title "Performance Leader."

People are going batshit crazy because Ryzen is unbelievably cheap, not because it's better. Even if Ryzen was 5-10% worse than Intel's CPUs, I reckon the community reaction would be much the same.

12. Vault-Tec

People are going batshit because it's cheaper and it's better. Not just because it's cheaper.

And yeah you are probably right though. People would go mental regardless. That's usually what happens when you get freed from the oppression of a controlling tyrant like Intel.

Thankfully (well no, not thankfully I wouldn't have had the money to pay any more than I did) I got my 5820k at that slight lull just after launch. My lady and I did some maths and it turned out I paid about £320 for my 5820k. That was nearly two years ago, so not bad at all. It's still comparable with the 1700 which costs about the same.

It is what happened after that that people are so angry about. Intel keeping every one on 4 cores and a max of 8 threads since Sandy came out.

BTW did I ever tell you about my I9?

A few years back I bought an ES Intel chip. 1.8ghz 6 core 12 thread socket 1366. When I ran the ES name I got some Chinese website with a load of info calling it an I9. Basically Intel were preparing to launch a product called the I9 right about the time Bulldozer launched. So they were about to take the desktop market to 6c 12t. Of course when Bulldozer turned out to be a wet fart they must have laughed and then canned that idea and that name.

But they have been holding us back. New launches have been exactly the same CPUs with a slightly higher clock speed and + 5%. That was somewhat exciting with Ivy and they have just done the same thing again and again and again since.

So yeah, expect people to be losing their frikkin minds when AMD release an 8 core desktop CPU that costs the same as Intel's quad. That's big news.

13. rollo

rollo Modder

Anyone buying one?

14. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

So, any news/clarification on ECC, IOMMU support?

15. Vault-Tec

Not yet no.

I would also be interested to find out the instruction sets too with regards to virtual machines etc.

16. grimerking

grimerking Minimodder

Once they start to perfect the fabrication process, you should be able to buy a 1700X that overclocks like an 1800X.

To be honest, my 3750K @ 4.2GHz / 290X watercooled is still fast enough for another generation of CPUs. I think I might upgrade my GPU next generation and then the CPU after that.

I have a soft spot for AMD and used them for years - 1700XP, 2500XP Mobile @ 2.4GHz, AMD 64, Opteron, AMDx2 @ 40% overclock. I hope this stops the rot that started with the purchase of ATI and gets them back on top.

17. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

Even though I very recently upgraded my PC, I sincerely hope this turns out as good an architecture launch as it appears.

No single thread performance yet though, but the fact is they can tweak that ready for my next upgrade in a year or two.

When's the NDA lifted on reviews?

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I've not really looked at hardware prices since upgrading to my current sig rig early last year. Christ things have gotten expensive! My CPU is £50 more expensive now, my ram £25 and my GPU £40 from the places I bought them.

19. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Consensus seems to be February 28th but that could be wrong

20. rollo

rollo Modder

March 2nd according to anandtech.

Tags: Add Tags