1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Reveals Ryzen 7 CPU Lineup and Pricing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 22 Feb 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

This is true.

Whilst I have not been gaming as much as I used to lately I have been trying to buy/keep up with the latest games. And nearly all of them use four cores now. Mostly the new "console slop" but yeah, they are threading better.

I've got quite a few games that will refuse to run without four cores. Just Cause 3 as an example (which also tells you you need 16gb ram and then crashes shortly after when you only have 8gb).

Just a shame they are so crap really. I mean they look a tiny bit better than last gen but nowhere near enough to justify the grunt you need to run them smoothly !

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

A more pertinent question is; Does Bit-tech have one of those nice big wooden Ryzen boxes, containing a CPU, Board and Ram for testing?

Considering a couple of people have posted images of them; I take it that they're allowed to say they've got it, just nothing more at the minute.

3. DbD

DbD Minimodder

No, plenty of games played today basically still use 1 core + a bit on the side, more still bottle neck on one of the threads (ie. the main game thread) even if they do have lots of threads. e.g. world of tanks - a game still actively updated (patched today in fact), played by many more people then most games mentioned in these lists, and still suffering frame rate drops if you don't have a fast enough cpu. Remember we don't just play games made in 2017, most of us play games older then that.

Hence for gamers once you reach 4 cores single thread performance becomes more important then more cores - sure more cores is nice, and may help on occasion, but not worth it if it lowers single thread performance.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2017
  4. Assassin8or

Assassin8or Minimodder

It's a bit shortsighted to not go for as many cores as you can afford now given that the gaming APIs, DX12 and Vulkan, are both designed to be multithreaded and have been around for long enough that they're starting to appear in more games.

These APIs and their high parallelised nature become increasingly important when you have more than one GPU to feed as the old APIs required you to have an exceptionally high clock speed to see the best results.

I have 16c 32t (for the motherboard and CPUs, for less than three cost of the 1800X) because I planned for the future when I upgraded, and that future includes dual GPUs just as I have now.

5. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

frostbite 3 engine will max a quad on all cores as does cryengine - so that's a good 50% of the last 3 years of AAA game titles.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Crosshair 6 unboxing, and what seems to be AM3 mounting holes.

[​IMG]

Tags: Add Tags