1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks The parent problem - Fixing computers remotely

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by meandmymouth, 20 Feb 2017.

1. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm sure there are a lot of you out there that have the same problem - parents or other family who, no matter what you do, still manage to clog up their PC's and laptops with all sorts of driver update programs and toolbars (I don't know how they do it, I really don't).

Living 200 miles away means I don't visit much. My mum has had a new laptop for just a few weeks and she already had it clogged with crapware (she swears she doesn't download anything...) and so even visiting every couple of months wouldn't be enough.

I need a solution to the problem that doesn't involve Windows remote assistance and someone to turn the laptop on.

TL;DR - need to stop parents breaking their computers with viruses and crapware from far, far away

So, I'm thinking hardware firewall, beefy NAS and dynamic DNS service. Oh, and a VPN.
    I'm wondering if anyone else has set something similar up for family or friends and has any advice? I'm only just starting here so I haven't looked at any specific hardware or services.

I'm aware that this is going to cost me a bit, but in the long run it'll be worth it.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not that it's something i have experience with outside of a LAN but couldn't you use WOL, either over the internet or by logging into something like Raspberry Pi that's connected to their router, once the systems powered you could use something like TeamViewer or UltraVNC.

3. nimbu

nimbu Multimodder

Keep it simple is my advise.

I use teamviewer for my folks pc, with accounts so its all setup. If they need support I can just remote in and take a look.

Funnily enough for work we use a mixture of skype / zoom. Whatever gets the job done, but does require User to cede control. Been looking at remote support solutions as our webex support license was not renewed. Teamviewer is the tech teams solution of choice so far.

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I could keep it simple, but I'm also trying to go down the prevention route also as I don't want to be doing this every couple weeks or so.
    Maybe I'll start with something simple and see how I get on.

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Change their user account to remove their ability to install programs? You'd then be asked to install things for them but at least it's better than having to deal with viruses et all.

Also, if she/they are unaware of where the rubbish is coming from, it'll soon be obvious if they keep being spammed with permission requests for installation - I imagine this might lead to a few phone calls until they understand what it is.

As another idea - no idea how effective it is - UBlock Origin has a few malware lists. Might be worth a shot to install that on their browser of choice and select all of them.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I used to get calls all the time when my mother had a Windows PC. Since switching her to Ubuntu Linux, the calls have gone way down. Like, I might need to manually do something once a year or so, if that. Perfick.

7. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Tried that with Linux mint a while ago, it didn't go well.

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Perhaps consider giving her a limited account rather than the default admin account. Perhaps install some parental control software (yes really to stop her from going to some of the wrong places and to log for you, where else she goes).

And dip in with teamviewer - providing the PC is on, you don't need her to be logged in.

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Teamviewer.

10. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Yesterday I talked my sister in Australia through installing a hard drive, downloading Windows iso, creating a bootable usb drive and installing windows and all drivers. All this over whatsapp with photos. Its time consuming!

Having done remote support across continents and to countries with crap internet, teamviewer has been the best. That and limiting access on the local pc. Trust me, giving so much freedom to the end user just makes life difficult for you. Start restricting app installs and blocking sites, plus a decent ad blocker and antivirus/firewall.

11. dinoscothern

dinoscothern Minimodder

I went down the `buntu Linux path with my folks. Its worked very well, they don't get a random neighbour trying to 'fix' things and the Spanish techies seem quite familiar with it.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I got my mum a Mac years ago. Support calls went from multiple times weekly to about twice a year. Problem is the prices have shot up - I bought them an iMac for £700, whereas now it's over £1400 for an equivalent.

13. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

This! My mother managed to break every laptop she got her hands on in hours. More than five years ago she got on of the last 17" MBP. No problems whatsoever since then. The machine is running strong. If I would have known I would have bought her a Mac myself.

All fandom aside OSX really is much harder to break for the average user.

14. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'm going to give Teamviewer a go and see how we get on with that, then work from there.

15. saspro

saspro IT monkey

The free version of Meraki Systems Manager works rather well, gives you a bit of alerting as well as remote access.

16. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

I'll have a look at that, thanks!