1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling H100i - Should I panic?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeK, 20 Feb 2017.

1. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

Interestingly I've just had a look at their two websites (Coolit and Asetek) and Corsair used Coolit for the H100i but Asetek for the H100i V2...

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

FWIW I was very impressed when I had the Kraken X61 in my system for testing, as it walked all over my Thermalright cooler. If I ever was to get an AIO (which is unlikely), it would have to be an Asetek unit...but these horror stories (now adding yours to the list George!) make me wince. :lol:

3. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I don't understand it, as I said above.

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You asked, should I panic?

5. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup I would imagine there is a good reason for that !

I've had a ton of AIOs and only ever had one leak (Coolit Eco II? something like that). The best I had was my H110 dual 140 thing. That was Asetek.

I've got two Aseteks in my Triad rig (one EVGA one Alienware but both Asetek).

After my experience with Coolit I would never buy one of their units again. Not even if Corsair are the middle man and offer their pretty good warranty.

6. doyll

doyll Minimodder

If you don't understand why many CLC users are moving back to air I'm not going to spend more time trying to explain it more than I already have. :rolleyes:

7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

That's not what I said.

I said I don't understand why some people hate them, not why some people choose not to use them. It's not the same thing.

For example, I moved from an air cooler to an AIO for my current PC. I do not hate air coolers.

It's just a simple choice, I don't see what the big deal is.

Last edited: 21 Feb 2017
  8. doyll

doyll Minimodder

I guess the 'big deal' is 'it' so 'it' is the lack of informed choice. CLC advertising has been hyped from day one with the word 'water' .. which most uninformed readers interpret to mean 'better' then good air cooling. Then when these same uniformed readers buy and install a 240mm CLC because their air cooled system is probably not cooling because of poor airflow they are not only changing coolers but installing 2x additional 120mm fans moving air into or out of case and of course get better CPU temps .. which they then assume is because of the CLC cooler, not even considering the added airflow of the 2 additional case fans .. so uninformed people making illogical incorrect assumptions of CLC cooling lead to more uninformed people believing not only the advertising hype but all the additional uniform illogical user hype.

And that hypes me up. :lol:

9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

You're reading far too much into this. It isn't a movement, just makes your choice and pays your money. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

10. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Or people can read information posted by other who care about their fellow man that explains the shortcomings of CLCs and then make informed choices instead. Sheesh :rolleyes:

11. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Stop it. Now. Your AIO/CLC/whatever flavour of cooler isn't your favourite-bashing isn't helping anyone.

12. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Siding with Yadda the troll .. not the kind of thing I expected from you. I though you were better then that, not to mention your above post isn't helping anyone either, so why post it?

I hate CLCs, but I don't bash people who like them. I try to explain why I hate CLCs.

Maybe you missed it but about this time yesterday I apologized to GeorgeK, but Yada keep at 'it'. I've explained the whys now

13. jinq-sea

Bye. Go and look at CLCs for a week. While you're at it, take a look at the zeroth rule. You started by being aggressive, like you always do. You also insulted the intelligence of those who use anything you deem 'wrong'. It's not in the spirit of BT. This also isn't the first time you've behaved like this.

Also, Yadda makes frequent (and non-inflammatory) contributions to BT, whereas you just basically decided to be 'schoolmam-y' and tell me that my calling you out was 'not the kind of thing you expected from me'.

Enjoy your week off.

14. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

When did air cooling become a religion? :worried:

Sorry to see his temp ban but some time to cool off won't do any harm. Air-cooled-off, of course. :)

15. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

I see what you did there :clap:

16. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You've obviously not met many VW fans. :p

17. jinq-sea

:hehe:

18. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

He has raised a very good point though guys which I think has been missed. Consumers, wanting cooler temps, add a CLC into their system, with an extra fan, and believe that the water cooling has improved their temperatures, when actually; the extra fan is all that would have been needed without having to jump to CLC.

A fair point to consider.

19. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

doyll reminds me of a 16:9 zealot from the widescreen gaming forum who was raging against 16:10 monitors in a thread here a few years back. Weird the things people choose to get obsessed with.

20. doyll

doyll Minimodder

Thank you aLtikal. That is basically it. CLCs do clear access to RAM and x16 PCIe sockets (for GPU), but I think most users moved to CLC because of the 'magic' words "water cooling" assuming they were getting something like a real H2o loop .. and like you said, their case was not flowing air properly before and radiator on vents with fans lowered the temps .. and they bow and pay homage to great 'CLC' that solved their cooling problems. When all that was probably needed was a little attention to case airflow .. and maybe a little better than stock cooler. ;)