1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ Mahogany Desk by Husky Bongs [Build of the Year 2018, FINISHED]

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Huskybongs, 21 Feb 2017.

1. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Let's do an update:)

My ODAC came home. I just love the sound of this thing. Paired up with my sennheiser hd 650s listening to Pink Floyd has never been this good:) What a beast this little thing is. Lathed a new volume button though since I prefer the feel of metal:)

[​IMG]

Got my CAD drawings watercut. Well they were supposed to be watercut but the machine was broken at the place so they plastmacut it. Also got my custom hinges watercut but you'll see those pictures later.

Gonna be a riddiculus amount of filing and sanding before I can send these to get chromed but we'll get there, fingers crossed.

Sry for the pictures but I cant place it inside yet but at least you get a feel for what I'm trying to achieve here

These are the sides (port-side specifically)

[​IMG]

both

[​IMG]

Big radiator grills. 566 mm's across

[​IMG]

Actually lathed them in so you have a skirt of wood covering the first 4 mm's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's the stuff from Icemodz huge shoutout once again! Thank you for believing in this project

[​IMG]

2. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

As mentioned in the first post I do have help with the woodwork from my friend Mikael and I can't take the credit for this end result without including him. While I did do the shaping of the wood and drawing stuff up etc when it comes to making the cuts and glueing these together he was with me every step of the way.

And no neither me or him do any woodwork for a job. We're both studying engineering.

3. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Hey, having a build buddy is far more productive than having a drinking buddy.
    Although not as fun as a f*ck buddy. :(

4. Ally

Ally What's a Dremel?

I would PM but I don't seem to be able to. May I ask how you obtained the Icemodz sponsership? I see this is your first thread on this site, have you done builds before? I have my first scratch build ticking along and a log should be on here once approved by admin, and I'm looking to get a low lever sponsor. Any help would be appreciated.
    Ally

5. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

There's literally countless treads on this topic and I don't want my build-log to be about this sorry. I don't know what is appropriate to say so I'd rather say nothing and focus on the build in question instead. I must say though. It's an affront to any decency to refer to the company in question as a low level sponsor. .

6. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

It's friday friday

[​IMG]

Redid the hole for the DAC to fit will show you some stuff on sunday. Have a good weekend

7. Bartacus

Bartacus Minimodder

My god! :jawdrop: :jawdrop: This is some BRILLIANT work!! So sexy / classy / elegant / and a bunch of other compliments!! :rock:

8. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Time to continue then..

So finally getting some components in. They will go out and in quite a bit before it's all said and done but still feelss like a great milestone

Here's some overview shots.

Chassi only

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Body on

[​IMG]

Made some custom steel mounting pieces for the pumps. They've been powdercoated after that

[​IMG]

The motherboard tray is also in it's natural habitat now. We made a cable hiding tool behind the motherboard tray and had a panel lasercut to make it look nice. The 2 holes are for some temp-monitoring

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And on the starboard side there's the 360 rad, the ax1500i psu as well as the custom mounting bracket for the psu, harddrives and ssd's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Had to level the reservoir. This was a bit of a headache but the solution was to cut a 3mm thick solid steelplate and have that as the reservoir mounting and at the same time leveling it perfectly.

[​IMG]

Bolts and bricks Cheesecake

[​IMG]

Decently happy with how the radiators are being hidden, but they are big. Hopefully the fangrills will clean up everything a bit

[​IMG]

That being said I can't wait to see these things in action

[​IMG]

Redid the back holes and added these hexagon nuts. they look better

[​IMG]

9. ADmodz

ADmodz Go hard or Go home

Totally stunning.
    Attention to detail is fantastic
    Subbing this one

10. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I'm sure my heart skips a beat every time i look at that first pic :D

Not much excites me nowadays in the modding scene but this get an old modder's juices flowin again :D

11. kim

kim hardware addict

Yeah, this desk is a masterpiece and i agree 100% your coment sir...
    I apologise to Huskybongs interfering in his thread, but I jump on this occasion to say that...
    Not much excites me in art but modding, a real passionate I am, I discovered Bit-tech few years ago, when you were already a great modder for a while, I am the kind of guy who is following almost all threads, and it includes all old threads like yours mister DÈF¥âÑt, and I regret to have missed the 2000/2010 years of the modding scene, luckilly plenty of those wonderfull creations are still online, and unluckilly, most of the pictures are not visible anymore, like much of your work in all the threads you started...and it's my regret, because your work was really great and it's a tribute to modding that should never disappear...I feel like a part of the history is missing...

12. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

It's nice to see you 2 getting along:)

13. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

WoW Kim tyvm mate :) they were the good o'l days when modding felt a lot more raw.
    We were all a really tight bunch of brothers back then inspiring one another along.
    You alone my friend have inspired me to take some time and re-link pics to those threads :)

Please take the time to check Some alonso bistro worklogs :rock:

Appols to you also Huskybongs pls don't let an old modder enjoying a stroll down memory lane distract from this amazing project :thumb:

More updates! :clap:

14. kim

kim hardware addict

Thanks a lot for your kind reply mate, I am so happy if you can re-link some of your work, that's so great...btw, I was checking for alonso bistro worklogs, I didn't really found out, but it led me to OCAU and i'm so glad to find another very quality site with a great modding section as well...
    ps: I think Huskybongs is also an open mind person, but let's focus on his amazing desk from now:)
    best regards and mod on

15. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

One can hope I'm around after a few years too:)

16. davido_labido

davido_labido Your Alphacool Contact.

Excellent progress on this build!

We have added it to our March Modding Update Here!

The winner of the Modding Update gets some nice Corsair fans :)

17. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

This is pretty cool:) Thank you very much

18. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

So I've been waiting for the watercut parts for a while and they finally arrived! There's a fair amount of sanding needed before I can send them to get chromed but I'm back on track now:)

[​IMG]

Temporary workbench:)

[​IMG]

Tested how they would look before they got screwed to the frame

[​IMG]

Pretty painful as we had to lathe the entire inner wood in about 2 mm's to fit these

[​IMG]

I will be updating more often again as I'm not waiting for parts now

[​IMG]

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ah, hardware limbo. That explains the hiatus. Waiting for parts sucks sometimes.

20. Huskybongs

Huskybongs Minimodder

Sucks :D but tonight im planning on drinking and listening to pink floyd so over and out;)