1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

Ordered my Touch Controllers yesterday, Wounder when they will ship. Shame the price on Amazon has not dropped so could of had them already with Prime...

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Oculus home setup.
    If you do not already own Elite, buy it from the Frontier store rather than through Home, as Frontier will give you keys for both Home and Steam.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I did that. It found the camera but not the headset USB or HDMI. I've got them both on USB3 ports and the headset is plugged into HDMI 1 on the GPU :S

Will try again.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Check the cables are seated properly at the HMD end (the little door at the front slides up), and that the HMD is powered on (power button on top, IIRC LED will be blue when HMD is on)

5. teamtd11

How are things connecting up. I found a Displayport to HDMI adaptor would work to drive my monitor but not my Rift. So I had to juggle connections around.

6. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Do you have steam VR downloaded, does that detect anything?

7. Vault-Tec

OK it seems I can not run the set up because the controllers are missing. I had to skip past that.

Other than a few warnings that DK2 was not supported it's been plain sailing. I've done a couple of VR experiences (mind blowing !) and am currently playing the free platform game Lucky's Tale which is just incredible. I thought it was just like 3Dvision on my head but the way that it pans in and out and you can look around is just awesome.

Not got SteamVR working yet, but I think that is because I didn't have a controller connected. Will try that again later :)

8. teamtd11

I can never find the right way to explain VR to someone. It's so much more than a 3D screen strapped to your head. Its like having a 3D screen in a sphere around your head, strapped to your head.

Lucky's tale is a great game visually and how it smacks you right into the VR world. You want to reach out and tap him on the head but you can't.

9. Dopeyman

Dopeyman Minimodder

Have fun! As for sims I've tried ed, dcs, project cars and dirt. All of which work well on the vive.

Subnautica is good fun as a seated game too.

10. Vault-Tec

I just watched a bit of Dear Angelica, is it? wow. That is mind blowing.

And I nearly fainted in Dreamdeck. I was doing fine, then I said to myself "oo this looks like Arkham City" and then I looked forward lmao. Didn't realise I was standing on a building. Good thing I wasn't standing up, my legs went to jelly (don't like heights). So I did it a few more times (dared myself) and did get used to it.

Best fun I've had in ages though.

Oh yeah forgot to say. So I did find it a bit blurry. I wear glasses but I had taken them off. So after a while I thought I would try the other lenses in the box. OMG, so much better ! tried with my glasses on made no difference. So yeah, if you wear glasses definitely try the other lenses out. They're shorter too, so far less prone to getting your forehead dragged over them when you put the headset on.

11. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

There are firms out there that will machine a set of lenses to your prescription. :geek:

12. Vault-Tec

Wow that's nuts. No need to atm.

13. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

14. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

This will be just amazing to have in game.

15. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I have a pair for my Vive. There is a bit of reflection between the HMD lenses and the prescription lenses but you don't notice it once your paying attention to the game you're playing. A big bonus is that you can order them to be tinted to reduce eye strain and this for me at least has been a major benefit.

16. Vault-Tec

When I wore my glasses I got a reflection. I found it rather off putting tbh. Thankfully the short lenses seem to match my vision impairment rather well, so I can actually take my glasses off. Which is a bit of a relief if I'm being honest.

17. teamtd11

The DK2 does not have its focus at infinity like the CV1. I could use the DK2 without glasses and it was sharp. But unfortunately no chance with the CV1

18. rollo

rollo Modder

CV1 is a prescription job if you wear glasses.

19. Vault-Tec

To be honest I don't think I would buy one of the new headsets. Having browsed through the entire store last night I can say that there just isn't enough content there yet. It's not missing because I am on a DK2 either, it just says "requires touch controls" or whatever.

So then I looked through the games, and firstly they are honkingly expensive (almost to the point of me laughing aloud) and again there just doesn't seem to be that much.

Steam VR feels like a bit of a mess, with it not being clear enough about what is VR and what isn't, so as of now I have had no experience of that yet. I might buy Dirt Rally later, but after what I am hearing about it on the reviews on Oculus store I am in two minds...

That's the thing really, the reviews paint quite a depressing picture if you read them.

Which leads me back to my initial question about VR absolutely ages ago. Is this simply a device with some very basic "bat and ball" like games? yes, yes it is totally.

The best experiences I have had so far have been from free apps and a free game (that tale thing, which I am sure I will complete at least once). But other than that? yeah, there really isn't that much there that excites me.

Tried to play Half Life 2, but it seems Valve have pulled all support for that so you can't play it in VR any more. Probably because it was making people chunder and making them look bad.

So they have pretty much nothing worth using either.

Also? I am perfectly happy with the resolution of the DK2 and the performance I am getting from my overclocked Titan X. I really wouldn't want to spend the thick end of a grand to improve it.

20. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Nah, they just never bothered to update the SteamVR version it was built with. Valve are nothing if not consistent with starting things on a whim and abandoning them on a similar whim.