1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Ryzen benchmark

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Vault-Tec, 6 Feb 2017.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That should work out rather well. You will probably need to wait for an Asrock board though. Asus may be planning a WS board but it will be very very spenny.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

Surely it's because of the lower common denominator as said above, you can't go full in if machines aren't there to run it, we've only really just started to see games refuse to run on a Dual core machine.

Most of the good consoles games thread aplenty spawning many CPU threads and many systems threads on the GPU also, so it can be done, you just wouldn't optimise your PC games for it right now as you can rely on brute force from high clock speeds and work for the majority rather than the minority.

Last edited: 3 Mar 2017
  3. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

from what ive read windows needs to be patched to make use of smt which should take about a month, i saw some benchmarks showing 10%-20% improvements with smt off

my plan is to carry on with my ryzen pre order disable smt and wait it out

4. rollo

rollo Modder

If windows was not making use of SMT then it's cinebench and cpuz scores would be much lower than what they have scored. It might not be using it well but it definitely is using it.

Some games just hate hyperthreading period, look at gamersnexus review, they tested certain chips with and without. Some gains gained fps without some lost it.

The fact it only shows in games is another issue, not one I expect Microsoft to patch quickly.

5. Vault-Tec

Cinebench and CPUZ have likely been optimised for it though. There's a strong likelihood that AMD contacted them and got the support in, hence why AMD used it to display the raw power of Ryzen.

However, as you say, gaming support is a whole different animal.

As for Microsoft? not so sure. They did not patch Windows 7 for the FX series. They tried, but failed. It was only in Windows 8 that we got real support for those. It made a huge difference in benchmarks too. I guess it all depends how much spade work AMD have been doing.

Bethesda are on board now, so we should see nice gains in their titles. Hopefully AMD will push things and get more devs on board.

I would be very interested to learn how Ryzen does with VMware and virtual machines.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Just guessing but i would assume rewriting (optimising) code in a benchmark is quicker than a game.

7. Vault-Tec

I would imagine so. They are written from scratch I would imagine, or, using open source libraries. Which would make it far more simple.

Many years ago a friend of mine used to code an emulator in Delphi. He said "What rig do you have again?" I reply "Dual P3 Xeons". Then he says "try this" and sends me an emu.

All he had to do was literally copy and paste a library that supported dual CPUs.

However with a game I bet it's far more complicated than that.

8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Well given the poor gaming performance of Ryzen, I think my upgrade is going to wait for a while. Once the bugs have been worked out and stock availability has been sorted I might re-consider.

For now though, I have other expenses in my life so my old Xeon will keep serving me well. :)

9. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

i3 is dual core only and plenty of them have been sold due to a large number of people being unable / unwilling to pay the premium for the i5 / i7.
    So game developers have to maintain downwards compatibility to dual core CPUs, with R3 bringing 4 cores for the price of an i3-7100 they can cast off that shackle.

Some games already do it, like for example Cities Skylines needs three physical cores, anything less and it runs like absolute trash, while it doesn't really benefit from more than three it still serves as an example of a developer willing to make use of more than two physical cores.

There is also GTA V, one of the best selling games of all times that benefits even from going past four cores.

There are a couple other examples... enough to justify a 6+ core CPU for a gaming system over a four core one? Not really. The justification for those lies in software like handbrake, adobe after effects and so on.
    But with four cores over two cores it is a lot easier.

10. killingit

killingit What's a Dremel?

I think that AMD is dedicated to releasing more than 4-core processors because they know that people nowadays also stream their games. Streaming and playing games at the same time would benefit greatly from 4+-core CPUs. Just my two cents tho.

11. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

The market for those who play and stream simultaneously must be vanishing small as a proportion of the total market.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

3 biggest games on twitch, so the ones you could get enough viewers to make a living on are Overwatch and League of Legends and counter strike source.

All 3 super low system requirements.

Not many people stream the big games and have a good viewership.

AMD used DOTA 2 at 4K for there test case, How many people are really going to stream at 4k and have that bandwidth to do so in a game where Ping is Vital, 720 to 1080 is a much more likely scenario.

The benchmark most take issue with is BF1 how was AMD getting those fps figures at 4K where even a Titan cannot hit the numbers AMD was seeing at anything above medium.

13. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

14. rollo

rollo Modder

Why the 4 core such low clock speeds, Expected 3.8ghz base in all honesty.

15. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

if the rumour is true that is a very low watt part , they are matching the T series of intel kaby lake

16. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

Better results all round under windows 7 - seems SMT regression is a windows 10 problem.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Something i found interesting is that apparently Ryzen sees big gains when paired with faster RAM, in Witcher 3 with a GTX1080 it goes from 92fps when using 2133Mhz RAM to 107fps using 3200Mhz RAM.

19. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Any details on how these will cope in 3D modelling/render programs?

Usually more cores means better performance but I can't seem to find anything.

20. tristanperry

tristanperry Minimodder

I've been reading that as well, definitely does seem a big improvement. I can't find the link now, but one of the motherboard manufacturers was saying that AMD hadn't overly prioritised RAM speeds in the initial launch but subsequent microcode updates should resolve this.

Certainly is the case for me - my Asus motherboard currently only natively supports my 3,000 Mhz RAM at 2133 Mhz. (Granted I could OC this back to stock easily enough).

Also on the note of performance niggles, an Anandtech poster has found some decent differences between Windows 7 and 10 gaming performance.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the coming months wrt gaming improvements.