1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Electrical advice / Bandsaw 'fault'

Discussion in 'General' started by Guinevere, 9 Mar 2017.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

I've got an old bandsaw which has a bit of an issue. It's nothing fancy, just plugged into a standard 13amp socket.

The basics : The 'on' button on the switch box can only be depressed when there's power to the machine, thats fine. When you power it up it 'hums' when it's not running. You turn it on, you turn it off - all good.

But occasionally the 'hum' won't be there when it's plugged in and the on switch can't be depressed. If you wait a minute or two it'll work again... at least that's how it normally is but the last time I used it I waited a good 10mins or so and couldn't get it to work again so moved onto other things. When it won't run there's no hum from the machine and the on switch has no 'click' to it.

But tested it again today and it worked perfectly. There's the hum when it's powered up but not running and the on switch can be used.

Sound like a motor capacitor issue? I've replaced such things on an old tumble dryer before.

A new capacitor is dirt cheap, so it's an easy test anyway - just thought I'd ask around and see if anyone knew about such things.

https://www.bedfordsaw.co.uk/spare-parts-for-elektra-beckum-bandsaws

2. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

From your description probably not the capacitor.
    I am guessing that the hum is from the magnetic seal in circuit for the on switch. The absence of the hum suggest there something wrong with the switch mechanism. Hope that helps.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2017
    Guinevere likes this.
  3. srgtherasta

srgtherasta Minimodder

Sounds like the no volt release switch is faulty, replace it there only a few quid off flea bay

Guinevere likes this.
  4. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Thanks guys.