1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU 7700k is it defective or not????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sniperdude, 22 Mar 2017.

1. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

HI guys just looking for a bit of advice who knows maybe someone would be kind enough to run a quick test for me to help get a proper answer

Just got a new cpu (well its the second one ive had looking like this will need RMA too)
    last time there was a heat issue staff at the shop changed it

new one arrived to day basically the latest version of prime95 instantly causes the CPU to hit 100C
    the last CPU didn't do that yes it was hot but never anywhere near 100c

heres a vid of what's actually happening

https://youtu.be/ue15LWDhfmw

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

What cooler are you using?

3. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

dark rock advanced but this isn't really about cooling

like I said the other CPU didn't do this at all

must add these are pre delided chips the first one was sent back because there was a suspected issue with the delid

Last edited: 22 Mar 2017
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Have you looked at the cold plate when removing the cooler (with TIM on) to make sure it is all nice and even and it's making proper contact?

I heard that some coolers could bend Skylake chips, not sure about yours.

IIRC it's not a good idea to run Prime on Skylake/Kaby either. I would run Realbench and see if the temps go as crazy.

If you've had two CPUs do the same thing it's either down to the cooler or some fault with the temp reading on the board. Which? I'm not sure tbh.

Edit. My apologies I thought you said the last CPU did this too.

Delidded? maybe they're not doing it properly...

5. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

They might have de-lidded it, but did they forget to re-apply TIM??

Either that or as Vault-Tec says, your cooler mounting is doing something funky - I know Thermalright has started shipping some HSF's with a special Sky/Kabylake plastic shim...

6. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Not the OCUK "binned" chips are they? If so you're not the first person with this issue.

7. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Realbench was fine btw

Yeah the last one was a little too warm for a CPU that's been delided I was seeing almost 70C in BF1 while only using 50% CPU and when I primed it I was in the 80s (thread of people having issues with delids too so I wasn't alone)

But knowing what I know now maybe the other chip wasn't so bad.

The reason new prime versions isn't so good is on Kaby is using AVX in benchmarks causes much more heat or so I was told ( older prime versions don't use it )

if Id have know that yesterday I would have primed with an old version instead.

Anyway getting back to this the old CPU didn't act like this at all....if you look in the video its like it don't even read the temp it just bugs out and says 100C right away.

8. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

YES!

9. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I've got a stock 7700k here and it runs hot - but not up to 100°C!

At stock settings with a large Noctua heatsink and Arctic Silver 5 it goes up to around 80°C at load using Prime 95. I'm currently working on undervolting it and I've managed to drop 5°C off the load temperatures by adjusting the voltage slightly.

My CPU has not be de-lidded.

But TBH, it sounds like whoever de-lidded your CPU didn't apply TIM properly afterwards! I'd return the CPU and get another one.

10. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

oasked are you using the latest version of prime?

Don't use anything above v266 then test you should get better temps..so they say

11. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

What's the point of testing software that doesn't max out your CPU temps? That's the whole point. :)

Max load temps:
    Prime 95 v28.10 (Win64) - 76°C (core temp)
    Prime 95 v25.9 (Win64) - 66°C (core temp)

12. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Yeah I agree.

After what you just posted and the fact that the first chip didn't hit 100C like this and either is yours I will send this back.

13. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Also worth checking for a new motherboard BIOS. I know Gigabyte had massive issues with their default settings that were running the vcore way higher than it needed to be, but they weren't the only manufacturer. Latest BIOS sorts the problem out no end and keeps the temps in check.

Worth checking out before you RMA at least but the fact that a single core is playing up is a bit suspect.

14. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

on the latest BIOS mate the voltage fix one is installed.

I suspect I have ruffled some feathers at OCUK yesterday after I complained about the way a member o f staff spoke to me .......guessing they have sent me the worst chip they have as payback.

15. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

As others have mentioned, their QC on these chips isn't great so you won't be the first (or to be honest the last) to have this problem.

As long as you are certain the mount is good I'd just get it swapped out if they are local.

I always find Linpacks (in particular LinX) to be better at stress testing (and as a result getting the highest temps) compared to Prime95 tbh, so this is what I've been using for years and haven't had Prime95 installed in quite a while. Link here: https://github.com/sanekgusev/LinX-old/releases/tag/0.6.5 ..That being said I've not tried it on a KabyLake CPU yet.

5 years ago that wouldn't have surprised me, these days not so sure. At the end of the day they are just creating work for themselves and if there is anything retail staff hate.... its work!

16. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

yeah the mounts good I don't get the issue in a old version of prime I'm guessing something isn't right with the cpu when it does certain tasks.

blend test works fine no 100c ffs test 100c right away

17. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

From what I understand they guarantee the overclock in all non-AVX tasks. So maybe that is why, the temps get too high and stress it too much in the newer version of Prime that supports AVX (I assume that it does).

Have you tried something like OCCT? I understand the latest version of that supports Kaby Lake.

18. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

I realise ocuk say that about AVX because of the higher temps but as oasked pointed out he's not getting this 100c problem... other than a 10c rise in temps that's the only difference between the prime versions

yes newer version prime uses AVX but as its a feature of the CPU I shouldn't have a problem at all on stock clocks.

What I don't want is to accept this CPU then 6 months down the road try and use a game
    or a program that causes this issue and my CPU to throttle because of it.

19. Speed

Speed I'm all you need!

Indeed, get it replaced then ASAP!

20. sniperdude

sniperdude Minimodder

Just to update.

I had 3 delided CPU's from OCUK in total

1st Hadn't even been delided
    2nd Had an issue with AVX instructions (what this thread was originally about)
    3rd Arrived very delided lol no lid on it at all and covered in TIM
    [​IMG]

Got a retail chip from Aria now ....very happy.