1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Effectively managing Dual-WAN

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mister_Tad, 24 Mar 2017.

1. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

The Draytek 2800 range do triple WAN, you can have DSL, ethernet and 3/4G through a USB dongle, (if you buy a supported dongle).
    I'll have a look at one of the ones we use at work tomorrow and see if you can use it for the other stuff you want to do.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

The more homework I do, the more I think that a triple-WAN option is the best - 2x 4G + ADSL

1) Three all-you-can-eat phone tariff to hammer through until it's capped or throttled
    2) If/once Three ruins my fun (many users report throttling only during 17:00-00:00 once they go through 30GB, but no throttling outside of those hours), fail over to EE where it makes sense, and ADSL where it doesn't matter.

The 2925 has the two requisite ethernet ports plus a USB for the second 4G, but then that means a USB dongle for one of them, and they're not entirely ideal for speed - won't know until I try really, but it can't be much worse than the ADSL. I'd rather a triple ethernet option, for two fixed 4G modems in the loft, but options are then more limited.

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Sonic wall stuff is slow and clunky and buggy. The meraki license ought to be around £90 a year maybe cheaper if you get it grey from someone like router-switch.com

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Ohhhhh burn :D

I have maybe......at a guess 350 sonicwalls in production. They aren't THAT bad! SOS4 was a bit like that, but we are on SOS6 now!

I used to work at a forti house,l prefer the sw over the fortinet any day.

5. Mister_Tad

I've been playing with a Meraki demo a bit this morning, and it seems that shaping based on traffic type is easy, but you can't specify uplinks based on traffic type, just source/destination - unless I'm missing something?

Whilst I can manage a fair bit by simply calling out a few sources for the ADSL, it would be handy to be able to say, use ADSL for system updates across the board without having to define destination IPs (which wouldn't necessarily be fixed over time)

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I had a check on one of the Draytek 2832's we have at work, and not only do they allow you to decide which WAN you want to use based on source (IP or range), destination (IP, range, DNS and/or port), with failover, they also now include a bandwidth counter, so you can set it to stop using the 3G after it uses all 500GB (or whatever).

7. Mister_Tad

Thanks for that - I'm pretty set on the Draytek now I think - it does what I need now at the most basic level, and I really like the offboard traffic analyzer - this will hopefully be really useful in terms of figuring out if anything rogue keeps running me into the cap, or give me the info I need to tell me another 100GB tariff would be of real value.

It's also cheap enough that if I turn out to be totally wrong on all counts, I won't be in the hole by much if I resell - so not a lot to lose really.

8. Mister_Tad

I'm in business!

I received the Draytek 2925 on Friday, swapped that out over the weekend. The interface ins't the prettiest to look at, but easier to use than any consumer kit I've used (if less pretty).

I spent a bit of time making sure I have every MAC bound to an IP, with sensible IP ranges, to make traffic management easier.

The 4G kit turned up this morning, and after spending a bit of time initially stripping it back to modem-only, plubmed it into WAN2 of the Draytek in the cupboard to get it working in-situ. The cupboard where all of the kit lives is terrible for 4G reception, even with the modem perched on top of the rack, though the speeds were still much better than my ADSL (6/2Mbit).

After ingesting a few KB articles from Netgear, carved off VLAN for the router/4G connectivity on the cupboard and loft switches, and the modem is now sitting in the loft with much better results:

[​IMG]

I'm entirely content with this, however I always intended to hook and external aerial up to the modem (for which there's a port) - I was just waiting to make sure everything worked before going ahead with that. Once that arrives I'll play with placement a bit more. I have another switch in the front half of the house to experiment with as well, and I'm not even entirely against using an external aerial.

EDIT:
    This evening I mostly be wandering around my house with a modem attached to a long ethernet cable and extension cord...

[​IMG]

Turns out 4G speeds are changeable depending on placement, who knew? :lol:

Last edited: 5 Apr 2017
  9. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

An extra 10Mb just from moving it about, if only the ASDL connection worked that way ;)

10. Mister_Tad

You mean this way?

[​IMG]