1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Little help with Physics coursework

Discussion in 'General' started by George, 2 Oct 2003.

1. George

George Bah

'lo,

I missed first year of this schools GCSE courses, due to moving house/plane/school. (Even country. ;)).

So I'm currently working substantially hard to try and catch up with an entire year of coursework.

This bit of Physics coursework is straight forward but has got me stumped on something. It's about how the length of wire changes the resistance. Can anyone tell me why the variable resistor is in there? Was it changed for each different length of the wire? If it was then obviously that makes it an unfair test??? If not, then what's the point of it being in there?

I don't know the above because I obviously didn't do the experiment like everybody else.

Here is diagram of the circuit

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

2. RTT

RTT #parp

No idea why that's in there.

Changing the length of the wire will change the resistance (longer == more resistance).

As long as the v/resistor is kept the same as you vary the length of the wire, the results won't be 'unfair' in any way...

I'd ignore it :)

3. George

George Bah

Yup, exactly what I thought. The results show an increase in voltage as the wire length is increased though? :/

4. RTT

RTT #parp

I just thought - the variable resistor might be in there to demonstrate that resistors in series add up?

Voltage shouldn't increase as length increases though...

*mutters something about welsh electronics :p*

5. George

George Bah

Damn, this is confusing.

The voltage increases as the wire length increases, and you're saying it shouldn't? Which means they did it with the variable resistor, which makes the test unfair?

:(

6. George

George Bah

I noticed that was slyy added in afterwards. Wales rocks! :rock:

The sheep will get you... oh yes, they will. ;)

7. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

surely as length increases the resistance increases (R=pl/A IIRC) so as V=IR, V will increase ??

Also the variable resistor might be to limit the current flowing. As i remember in college we did this with loads of wires and had to tweak the resistor to stop it burning :D as long as you dont toucj it as you increase the length it wont amke a difference

8. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

The variable resistor is there to probably show you that in a series circuit the two resistors will add up to the same resistance. As the wire increases in length the voltage goes up:

V=IR the current will be constant but the resistance will increase making the number larger each time

And yes the variable resistor must stay in the same position each time

Last edited: 2 Oct 2003
  9. George

George Bah

BjD: Yep, that sounds right.

The voltage is going up as the wire length is increased, and the current is going down, and the resistance is going up.

So, you're saying the variable resistor is kept the same, definately?

10. RTT

RTT #parp

Sorry, voltage over the *resistor* increases as the resistance goes up :rolleyes:

was thinking throughout the whole circuit :D

Vr = IR, I = constant and R increases making Vr increase!

god, and to think I have an A @ Alevel electronics :p

11. maki43

maki43 I can touch my toes 1,2,3

Lol, just realised i did the same thing over here Rich :D

12. RTT

RTT #parp

I was thinking "huh? how can you get more volts than you started with :D"

:p

13. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

yep, as i recall we used thin wire so obviouslt needed to limit the current, we just tweaked it and left it.

ph33r teh sheep!

14. xen0morph

xen0morph Bargain wine connoisseur

BjD, just as an aside, are you in Lufbra, and do you know a guy called Matt Kellet?

15. George

George Bah

By looking at others coursework online, it seems that the variable resistor is there to keep the current the same on each test (at 2A).

On my results, the current is different for each test, and decreases as the length of the wire increases. So I don't know where he got these results, but they must be wrong?

I'm going to see him tomorrow to try and resolve it. :wallbash:

Thanks for the help all. 8)

16. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

yeh that sounds about right, i remember doing this project, we didnt use a resistor though, just a variable power supply instead :D

17. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

yeah im in uni in lufbra :rock: that name doesnt ring any bells tho

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

They're still right. As the wire resistance increases it takes a bigger share of the full supply voltage provided the other resistance is kept the same or reduced to give the same total circuit resistance. The share is different for the two cases, but still bigger.

Ohm Rule for Yorkshire :rock:

19. Pflumingo

Pflumingo givem the bird.

Actually, Where the current is measured in your circuit, is before any of the x lenght of wire. using the Variable resistor to create the same current going into the measured Voltage section (x) And as the others said, V=IR, and if you keep I constant with the pot, where it is measured (before the Voltmeter), and you increase R, V HAS to increase, up to the supply V. You cannot go past the supply V in any case, and when the x is longer than that, it is unable to keep the current I constant. The voltage drop across the pot decreases as the length increases, but only till the resistance is 0 at the pot. At that point, the problem falls apart.

The circuit is really a way to make a constant current supply out of a constant voltage supply.

20. George

George Bah

Went to see him today, he said it's all right.

Apparently the voltage goes up as length is increased and the current goes down. The variable resistor is left alone.

So all is ok. :)

Thanks,