1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Removing AM4 Cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by shoxicwaste, 12 Apr 2017.

1. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Hi All,

I have a quick question in regards to removing AM4 socket CPU's and their respective heatsinks/coolers.

The other day I was removing my H115i to install the new brackets (using am3+ on a Asus RoG board) when to my horror found the CPU glued to the bottom of the H115i copper plate dangling around in the case! At first I was thinking, wtf...where is my CPU.

I was especially worried because the CPU lock mechanism didn't shift and was still in the "locked" position.. despite my new Ryzen hanging off the copper plate. My initial thoughts led me to believe that perhaps the pins may have bent or become misshaped!

Long story short, no damage.. All good, But still a little annoying. :duh:

Is this the norm with AM* Sockets? Can this be prevented? and has any experienced this type of issue before and perhaps even damaged their beloved CPU?

Thanks!

2. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

It is normal with these sockets and has been ever since their invention. The best way to avoid the issue is to twist your cooler off rather than pulling it straight off.

3. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Normally if you run the PC for a while before trying to remove the cooler, it'll twist off the CPU more easily. It should also help to prevent the issue you had (and that myself and numerous others have had too).

edit : (obviously the PC is OFF when you remove the cooler).

Last edited: 13 Apr 2017
  4. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

^ that. Phenom 2 940 user for almost three years, FX 8 user for over two years.

That is the secret to not ripping the CPU out of the socket. It also works very well on GPUs etc too. I used that very method to remove the cooler from my Fury X the other day.

5. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

When I reseated my stock cooler it pulled my r7 1700 straight out the socket on a Gigabyte AB350M. But as said above, twisting loosens it enough if you remember :duh:

6. shoxicwaste

shoxicwaste Minimodder

Twist and pull :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

7. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i was using a cheap am3 air cooler on my 1700x for about 3.5 weeks before corsair finally got an AM4 bracket for my h100i v2 ...

i literally had to unscrew the plastic bracket from the backplate to release the cooler ... the upside to this was that it came off at an angle and left the cpu firmly in my b350m-a ...

8. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

i run prime for 20min to soften up the tim a bit