1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Carrack isnt being sold atm, so cant get it.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Good shout. I have done this.

Reckon they will bump the price of both before they go on sale again realistically (though maybe the Merchantman again too?)

Yep, you can only get XXX - Merchantmant CCUs at the moment.

So, there's been loads of chit chat on reddit about how big the new MM will be. Its supposed to be 100m at the moment, I feel it may end up about 150m? Can't see it being much bigger as an Idris is 238m and that is a basically a cap ship.

3. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

ahh my mistake, I knew the ship was not being sold but incorrectly thought the CCU's were purchasable at any time.

I am really hoping the Carrack does not get a price increase by the next sale. It would be nice to have a free CCU option to it in case the Banu changes for the worse against its current concept.

4. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I'd honestly expect those large Wave 3 ships to go up by $50 assuming they've not had significant changes in size, and ive certainly not heard anything to suggest they have.
    At the same time, i'd imagine they'd want to do an 'update' on a few of these ships and bump the price up before they get to Nov when they sell pretty much everything again, simply because they probably dont want us to buy that BMM to Carrack/Reclaimer/Hull-D/Endeavour/Crucible upgrade at their $350 price and lose out money because people used it on a $250 ship.

The Reclaimer is projected to be the first of those available with 3.2, and i'd fully expect the anniversary sale to come first, Carrack & BMM are earmarked for 3.3, Orion & Crucible are 4.0, so i think CIG might plan on doing a summer update to manufacture an occasion to raise those prices, but they could just as easily announce it the day before the Anniv sale started, too.
    Hopefully they wont, but seems unlikely.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

That is the trend. The Carrack had quite a big sale when the Dragonfly first got released @ $350. They usually increase the price when a ship has had more work done on it, and I think the Carrack is quite close to being started IIRC.

You may get lucky, the anniversary sale may include both at $350 - then you can CCU to your hearts content.

6. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

The Carrack was said to be focused on once they'd finished doing the Caterpillar, so i'd assume they've already put a couple of months into it by now.
    I've not been following things too closely beyond watching AtV, so im not sure on minor comments from the Friday show about Carrack etc progress, although i do get post notification for the Carrack thread on SC Base, i've had almost 60 notifications since Thursday on the BMM, the last one for the Carrack was Dec 30th, so i dont think much has been said.

7. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

hmmm that's interesting info. In the past people have got lucky with the upgrading of their ships (hell, it's built into the system) with these price rises, plenty of people have made those big free jumps. Fingers crossed.

On looking, I have:
    ANVIL CRUCIBLE TO CARRACK UPGRADE
    HULL D TO CARRACK UPGRADE
    ENDEAVOR TO CARRACK UPGRADE
    RECLAIMER TO CARRACK UPGRADE

Maybe I will get lucky with one of those!

Might never apply it even if I get a BBM to CAR upgrade, the BBM might be so nice as to be a keeper but it's nice to have options.

8. Parge

TBH the BMM is looking like one of my favourite ships in the game right now (aesthetics wise). The only thing I think I'd trade it for would be a medium sized military ship.

9. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

Yeah that's what drew me to it! I like the idea of a flying bazaar also.

At previous prices the Carrack was out of the equasion but if there is a future zero cost CCU from the Banu's new price, the awesome looking Carrack is very tempting!

Ultimately, I need to find a long term upgrade path for either the Sabre or S Hornet to something that gives me access to alternate gameplay types when they become available.

10. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Am I the only one going to be in my fighter earning this stuff?! :D

I totally get why people want a mid sized ship, they look awesome. Please CIG let it be reasonably OK to earn them the old fashioned way.

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

No lol, course not.
    There will be plenty of stuff I want to earn in game (assuming it is not a miserable in-game process aka Elite D) but the money is already spent. I'm just using existing fund and the very flexible upgrade system to optimise my start point to my taste :)

12. Parge

I'll have have the BMM, Hornet/Bucc and a Cutlass. I've probably spent $100 of my own money, rest is from trading old accounts and Radeon Omega codes, so may as well buy ships with it, otherwise it'll just sit in my RSI account (since its RSI credits that I traded them for, not real $)

Still plenty to earn in the final game I hope! Just playing with one fighter will be totally rad though, can't wait to fly with ya!

13. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Im into trade & industry stuff, so those are my primary interests, and my mate has the Hull-C and might return to a Freelancer MAX before release too, but the BMM has always been high on our wanted list. However a 2nd large hauler is a bit harder to justify dropping something else for it.

If it could be treated as a persistent ship, like capital ships will, so you could park it in safe space with goods, and leave NPCs there to handle interactions with customers, then it'd certainly help make a convincing argument as to why i'd want one over say a Hull-C/D beyond aesthetics or luxury. Its a case of making an argument as to whether the exclusive gameplay stuff it offers over a barebones hauler is enough to pay the extra for it, rather than work for it in-game. If it turns out to be very hard to get one in-game (long waits) then maybe that becomes a reason, but its a wonderful ship to work towards getting if your into hauling plenty and doing it with a bit of style.

Another aspect we need to be mindful of is whether we can even operate some of these larger ships in a respectable manner, a C seems like it'd be easier to crew & protect with smaller numbers, compared to a BMM. It might not be hard to get help, but if it turns out good ringers are hard to find, it might end up feeling like its not worth it, and this applies to more than just the BMM.

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

"Flying bazaar"? The latest concept pics show it to be more of a flying Wal*Mart!

(Note the people around the edge of the pad)

Linked because pic resizer STILL b0rked

15. Parge

I have a feeling that is just concept art though... with no relation to actual size. Would be awesome if it was though!

16. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

That is nice concept art for sure! I am also sure the size will increase as other ships have but I suspect there will be other changes, especially in the Cargo Capacity maybe? They need to be careful with the BMM not to step on the toes of other ships, like the Hull C/D, if the BBM had equal to or better, who would bother with dedicated haulers?

I do worry that increasing the size might also increase the cost of running or crew requirements. It already lists 8 crew as max capacity, assuming that does not change again between now and release.

Still if CIG showed us anything, it's that they can now do big ships well! if you think about the Starfarer, it looks damn good inside and out and is the kind of size and layout as to offer some excellent 'on ship' FPS combat encounters or boarding actions.

17. Parge

Disco just described the BMM as 'around the size of the polaris' (155m) and 'as a Banu capital style ship'

18. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm being very good and not touching anything. The new ships look great, but I'll earn all this stuff in game. The addition of VAT was the kicker really for me, as it just made stuff way more expensive overnight.

I mean, I've got a Polaris plus a whole bunch of other ships. It's fine. I've also got buyback on some very rare ships (890J!) if needed.

19. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yeah, just read that myself. Now to start back-tracking on the idea of holding off on the BMM :D

I wish we could have had more information on it though, something more than concept art and a 40% price increase. Something that gave me a real understanding as to what i'd do with it, because purely for hauling it seems a Hull C/D would be better, but that ignores what the BMM is built for. I can see a Retaliator Base being like a security van, moving small quantities of high value goods, and a Hull C moving potatoes around. However more needs to be understood about this mobile marketplace to understand its value, and i suspect we dont know much because CIG dont want to say something that they cant guarantee.

Its hard to know exactly how much should be read from Discos comment in reference to capital ships, but i mentioned the other day it having persistence would make it very viable as a 24/7 store-front you could leave to operate in safe space and sell stuff to passing customers. If it disappears the moment you leave the area or log off, you'd basically be playing as a shop assistant to operate properly. The difference is quite significant.

20. rollo

rollo Modder

Persistence is super hard to achieve in a player universe. Most games use Auction Houses for trading.