1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

G-gnome's Orac³ - Part 2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by G-gnome, 1 Sep 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bugaloo

Bugaloo What's a Dremel?

Awesome work guy, you should get a nobel price for that case! :dremel: By the way do you have a zip or rar file with all of the pics? Would be a lot easyer than saving all the pics one by one. :thumb:

Last edited: 4 Oct 2003
  2. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Greatest inspiration has probably been Macroman for his creativity, sense of style and professional finish of his work, particularly Macroblack, Culance and 3G Clear

Most recently though, eddie-dane has also given me an inspirational boost with his VesperDeco HTPC (it totally blew me away when I saw it).

Works of other contributors to the site such as DaydreamingKnight, Mashie and Zapwizard have certainly inspired me as well.

By inspiration, I don't necessarily mean specific ideas or techniques I mean people who have the ideas, skills and enthusiasm and really do original works, set the trends and constantly raise the bar. The sorts of projects that make you want to just get out there and mod something. Pretty much how I felt when I saw Macroblack.

I think the biggest thing about the modders who are the most inspiring to me is that they went to a lot of trouble to show how they created these mods and to share it with all of us. If that isn't inspirational then I don't know what is?

:)

3. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

Will there at some point be an archive of all the pictures in this project available for download? It is really hard to save them all unless I just want to repeatedly save the page.

4. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

1) At the bottom of the first page click on 'show printable version'.

2) Then go to top right-hand corner of the page and click 'show all ### posts...'

3) When that downloads then simply save it to your harddrive as a 'Web page complete'. That gives you a seperate folder containing all the pics. Just go thru and delete any smilie pics or page graphics (easy to do as) and all you are left with is your own saved folder of the images.

Just remember the pics are copyright me and BiT-Tech.

5. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

Im sure that ppl are using your pics on other forums, i know one where you got your own thread but im sure you havent even been there :lol:

But when do you plan to make update #4? :naughty: or perhaps you dont plan it, its just, when you feel for it :D

6. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

I have a list of about 200 sites where threads on the project have been running (including the Norwegian overclocking site overklokking.no and a Swedish site which escapes me now - had a look though I can't understand them heh :) ) If people use an occasional pic as a teaser etc then so be it and of no real concern to me (flattering really). If the pics are used for commercial purposes or the whole project (text and pics) is ripped off and posted somewhere else without asking me then that would warrant some action. I'd likely stop posting updates and work on the project as articles for the bit-tech main site.

Fortunately the people that frequent sites like BiT-Tech are pretty ruthless when it comes to having a go at someone for bandwidth stealing or ripping off articles or reviews from sites.

As for the next update - whenever I have enough modding done to make it worthwhile :)

7. princexxx

princexxx What's a Dremel?

this is looking amazing man, i just read through all of your logs, and damn thats a lot of stuff you've done.

1 Question.
    How hard was the sata cable modding? looks real difficult and im interested in doing it. also would you have any suggestions as to wether or not using other wire and just using the connectors would be okay to do?

cant wait for next update :)

8. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

sweclockers.com? thats where i found it ;)
    and yeah, most larger places and sites as bit-tech and sweclockers dont like when you steal stuff, if you send a mail to someone on sweclockers (admin) if they would steal the entire article, they would slap, slay, kick, ban and then send a mail to the ISP, and then the user will most likley get a warning from the ISP, and then at least i would sh*t my pants :p

Ah, so can you tell us something about the future plans and how you will do with the other parts and before all, the watercooling, i want to see that one ;)

Wonder if you will beat that guy that had done a watercooling and just sealed the case and filled it with water :lol: :lol: that forum had like 300.000 visitors from other forums just to see that article ;) wonder if you will beat that ;) Cant remember which forum though...

anyway very proffesional work you've done there mate!
    (i need sleep :blah: )

9. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

Excellent modding G-gnome!

I've been reserving comment up to this point, because there isn't anything left to say that hasn't already been said time and time again. Your craftsmanship is astounding and your results are inspiring!

I saw someone mentioned something like this earlier and you did reply, but - I'm a bit surprised by the DVD drive fronts - specifically, that you chose to leave the volume, headphone jack, and the letters 'DVD'. How come? :confused: I saw you said you didn't use those 2 features anyway, so I'm just curious.

luvbug :dremel:

10. Confusitron

Confusitron What's a Dremel?

Thank you!

11. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

Ive stealed your idea regarding shower tubes :worried:

Hope you dont mind. And damn it looks good !! :rock:

12. Fyberwire

Fyberwire What's a Dremel?

This has to be the most origional case i've seen in awhile. The ideas are just fantastic. Keep the updates coming!

13. GurnBlanston

GurnBlanston What's a Dremel?

What he said :)

I was wondering that myself. As everyone else has said, this really is the coolest looking mod yet, and it isn't even finished!

But this is the first thing you've done that kind of buggers up the look of the whole project. The 'DVD' looks ok, but it really looks kind of amatuerish to see the volume control and headphone jack there, but covered up - it would look a lot better if they weren't there at all. Incidentaly, would the plastic chrome plating you use work, if there are holes patched and puttied in the plastic piece?

Great work, though. This case is really in a class by itself :thumb:

14. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

one mother of a case.

have a [​IMG] on me.

15. Stilgar

Stilgar What's a Dremel?

G-gnome,

Your project is breathtaking. Words can't describe how beautifull and original your design is. the BEST casemod I have EVER seen !!! Like everyone else I'm also looking forward to your next update and especially for the stealthed motherboard !

Words are not enough, but smileys are !

--> :eeek: :eeek: :jawdrop: :eeek: :eeek:

16. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

Have to agree with you there GurnBlanston (and Luvbug) and the plan is to fix it when the case is finished.

I had been of two minds about covering the headphone sockets etc. and they will eventually be covered. I went out a few weeks ago and bought some silver auto trim with this intent but it wasn't right with the chrome. I then looked about and saw a place that sold self-adhesive chrome sheet and I ordered some about a week and a half ago. I plan on cutting the sheet into a shape similar to the VFD window (but just big enough to cover the sockets) and I'll be doing this when it arrives (should be here any day - had to order form the US so it takes a while to get here). I agree the DVD lettering looks ok and I do quite like that the way it is.

Things like covering the sockets etc are the sort of little jobs I intend to leave to the very end (what I meant when I mentioned in the latest update where I talk about 'toning up (or down)' parts of the case once finished). When I can take a step back and look at the finished case as a whole I can fix the niggly bits to blend everything a bit better. The reason I haven't fixed these sorts of things yet is so I can get the updates out in a timely fashion. In this case, when I realised the auto trim wasn't going to be any good and ordered the chrome sheet, waiting for it to arrive and then modding the drives would have delayed the update by a couple of weeks (and my time off work runs out soon). By that time I would have done a lot more on the project, then had to write that up as well, and then the update would have been delayed even more (maybe a month?) etc etc. I prefer to crack on, leave the wounded til the objective is taken then go back when the battle is won and tend to the injured (to use a military analogy). :hehe:

There are a few more niggly things like this I have left in the stuff I have already done though no one has mentioned them yet as they likely only bother me.

Well picked up on though and I'm glad you mentioned it as I'm positive that someone will eventually pick up on something that I have totally forgotten about before the end of the project and that will help me greatly to improve the look of things.

17. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

I must say that the chrome paint really does the job, It looks like chrome :rolleyes: No but seriously.

I had no idea that it would look that good even on common plastic?

Did you prime them first or simlpy applied it directly?
    Is chrome sprey color avalible in color or car shops?

Or hard to come by? I heard someone saying that its expensive thats why.

Finally, Just so you know you are a insperation to modders everywere (Did that sound to muschy? :worried: )

Best of regards dude.

/Chrille

18. G-gnome

G-gnome Peter Dickison

*G-gnome has a heart attack as another person reveals he hasn't read the project logs*

Click on the image:

[​IMG]
    Part-1 of the Orac³ Project (Original Project Log)
    Introduction, PSU, Junction Box, Cables, Reservoir Mounting

;)

(It's not a paint...)

Ya' big muschball ;) :hehe:

19. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

Hehehe... I was talking about this for an example:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Isn´t that painted? :worried:

And for the record i have been reading your logs :thumb:

20. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

No. those are all chrome plated, not painted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.