1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 2500k upgrade to 4770k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Concrete-Coffin, 7 May 2017.

1. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

just need a bit of advice to see if its worth it. I can get a 4770k and a msi z87-gd65 gaming mobo and a 128gb msata card for £140 as my 2500k still going ok in games etc

Last edited: 7 May 2017
  2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

For that price, yes, go for it.

The performance increase won't be huge but upgrading two generations for that price is worthwhile, plus you'll claw back at least half of it by selling your 2500K and mobo.

Cheap upgrade.

3. Concrete-Coffin

Cheers David think all go for it then

4. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

A great price but upgrading to a platform that still doesn't have M.2 or DDR4 is a bit pointless imo.

5. Concrete-Coffin

i would of liked to go newer but funds at the moment for a full overhaul are limited and this would last a little longer

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

M.2 isn't all that big a deal - I've been running an NVMe SSD as my OS drive for over a year, and it's not noticeably faster than a decent quality SATA3 SSD; despite boasting 4x the read speed and over twice the write speed of any of my SSDs.

Also DDR4 is fooking expensive right now, and the prices are set to either increase or plateau for the rest of the year - this upgrade won't require new RAM. From a value for money point of view, this is a no brainer.

A Kaby upgrade will set the OP back £500, without m.2.

7. silk186

silk186 Derp

not going DDR4 means he can reuse his DDR3, that reduces cost now. When he finally does move to DDR4 prices should have improved.

8. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Bargain. You should jump on it! The CPU is worth the £140 on its own. :)

NVMe can be used on Z87 with a bit of tweaking. It's not too difficult. I definitely notice the difference between my 850s and the SM951 when it comes to loading things. It doesn't have as big a difference between going from a HDD to an SSD, but the difference is still there.

9. Concrete-Coffin

just bought it from a m8 at work so hopefully have it up and running when get a chance to pull me pc apart thanks for the input lads

10. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah that's a great price. I saw loads of people go through Sandy/Ivy/Haswell etc. Very worthy upgrade IMO. Extra threads are always nice too :)

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Will definitely keep you going for longer than your 2500k and a great price too.

Bargain!

12. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I can't figure out if it's a testament to how good the 2500K was, or how bad Intel have been at actually moving the performance post forward haha.

My 2500K was the first CPU I've ever owned for more than 3 years (was actually close to 4), was a sad day to see her go...

13. Concrete-Coffin

Yeah been a great buy got it a few weeks after they fixed the sata problem on the boards so that's easy 4+ years ago

14. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

It's probably also an indictment on how games have stagnated in terms of CPU utilisation.