1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. marlowdrummer

marlowdrummer Minimodder

New specs + getting old = damn expensive....
    Having to go from single vision to varifocals - at 46!!!
    They better be worth it.

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Desktop just died. Started to get a bunch of IO errors, rebooted, and the SSD's dun gone vanished from the BIOS.

Not great timing, 'cos I'm massively busy right now, but I've got a new drive en route courtesy Amazon Prime Now (delivery window between 1600-1800 - ain't the future grand?) and frankly the thing needed a reinstall anyway.

Looks like I might be having a bit of a late night tonight, though...

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Excuse for a cheeky upgrade or like-for-like replacement?

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Upgrade: picked up a 500GB Samsung Evo 850 'cos it was the first decently-branded and large-capacity one I saw in the list!

5. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

A "mistake" by the home office when issuing me with a British Passport two years ago could mean it gets revoked and I get deported. £650 to an immigration consultant and a few days wait will tell... And the best the home office can come up with is "Sorry about that".

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That's usually how they go. However, I did have a Sandisk recently that did that and then magically reappeared after a few cold boots and has been there ever since. *shrugs*.

Sucks when they go though :( usually with no warning and the buggers always seem to catch me off guard feeling all comfortable about my rig and thus I have so start again from nothing :hehe:

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Minimodder

i had a ssd that went from 100% health to dead in 1 day. great tech but unpredictable still

8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Had a huge zit on my cheek yesterday which I "dealt with". Now I have a big black mark on my face, surrounded by a patch of dry yellow-ish skin and a red blotch around that. It looks ****ing hideous.

I never really got spots when I was growing up and now I've had two like this in the last few weeks (the last was on my arm, and I still have a scar from it)

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Sure it was a zit and not an insect bite?

10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Could well be to be fair. The first one was just behind the point at which my motorbike glove ends, and the one on my cheek is just above the cheek pad in my helmet.

Still looks ****ing hideous!

11. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I've been getting random teenage spots lately. Had one on the edge of my lip that was so painful I didn't shave for a week in fear of it hurting even more. Had a couple of beauts on my nose too where my glasses meet my face and a couple in the eyebrow area.

Sucks man. Well, pops would be more appropriate but yeah, not nice.

12. Gareth Halfacree

So, to follow on from the "SSD died:" installed the replacement and took the opportunity to upgrade to Ubuntu 17.04 GNOME edition ('cos 17.10 will be GNOME-by-default now Canonical's abandoning Unity.)

Final count: HDMI capture card doesn't work (awaiting drivers for the 4.10 kernel from Blackmagic), scanner doesn't work (no idea why), Eaton IPP software doesn't see the UPS (no idea why)... Oh, and my lovely CRT-emulating cool-retro-term is built against libraries no longer available, so I'm back on a boring grownup terminal.

Bah. BAH, I say. Call this progress?!

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

At least it's working... quit yo' whining :p

Here -

Phone died, meaning the amazon voucher i had accrued for an SSD had to be used on replacing phone...

...new phone arrived, and is DoA...

Also I've learned that CAPTCHA hasn't been all that effective at cutting down on spam on a website i'm responsible for the upkeep of. [Plus I wanted an excuse to use the gif]

[​IMG]

14. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

What's ruining my life is that I instantly recognised that as a BCN3D Moveo robot arm. I need to get out more...

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Chuffing password security at work. I just had an email advising that I will be locked out if I don't change my password, because some automated scanner has identified that I have a weak password (even though it meets the password complexity requirements set by Group Policy objects). BTW, how exactly does one do that without compromising password security, even if no human ever sees the passwords....?

I've just been having a read of the password advice - you know, for s#!ts and giggles. "Think of a sentence consisting of approximately 8 words. Now take the first letter of each word and randomly add special characters. There you go: a memorable secure password. Oh and, by the way, remember to do that ever single month without re-using any of your previous passwords from the last two years." Of course it goes without saying that we don't have any kind of two-factor authentication (even though we all need RFID ID badges to get in to any building); our passwords can't have more than 16 characters; and plugging in an unauthorised external device like a Mooltipass would get you into some serious disciplinary s**t.

It is at this point in the proceedings when any nerd worth his salt recites XKCD: Through 20 years of effort, we've successfully trained everyone to use passwords that are hard for humans to remember, but easy for computers to guess.

16. legoman

legoman breaker of things

I razored on the side of my face Monday which wasn't pretty, alcohol free shaving cream still burns an insult to injury I bunged aftershave on because I'm smart like that.

Best thing I found to do with them is not pop it but put some sudocreme on it as its an antiseptic it'll perform magic, do it overnight an it'll bring the swelling an redness down.

17. Gareth Halfacree

Spent 'til midnight last night setting up a shiny new EFI Ubuntu GNOME 17.04 install... and this morning it shat itself royally.

So, I'm now about a full day behind work-wise, but I have an apparently-working legacy Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS install to my name - and my UPS and HDMI capture card now work properly again, too.

Computers, eh? Who'd have 'em?

18. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

Could always use Windows :hehe:

19. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I found that my skin seriously improved when I switched over to more traditional shaving stuff and whilst the use of a single blade rather than the multiple cartridge jobbies certainly had an impact on that, the biggest change for me was the use of an alum block immediately after finishing the shave, It stings like hell on any small nicks and grazes but they never turn to spots and I also get far less spots than I used to, especially around the side of my nose - not that I shave there but I do go over that area with the block.

20. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

TROLOLOLOLOL