1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ PARVUM i1.0 Prototype-II (Final Pics III - 22nd December)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by imersa, 27 Apr 2017.

1. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Thank you to EK Water Blocks, ASUS ROG UK, Silverstone Technology, Samsung, Nvidia, Bitspower and of course JR23 for collaborating on this project.

For a long time we had been planning a new ITX build, getting parts ready and running through new case ideas, but the daily pressures of keeping Parvum moving forwards stood in the way of devoting any serious work hours to a project. However that very rapidly had to change when one of our work rigs started showing serious signs of old age. With a sketchy RAID0 array and everything bordering 5 or so years old the best way forwards was to quickly round up all the fresh parts and get a rig together. That being said, our office rigs have some serious standards to live up to!

So JR23 was summoned to Parvum HQ at the soonest available opportunity and instructed to bring some new case designs along with him. We had already discussed this build a while back, penciled to use an old Maximus VI Impact with EK monoblock and even drafted some layout concepts. Rather than waste this fresh thinking we picked it back up, threw in some fresh hardware and reworked it all into an elegant build that wouldn't be too time consuming.

Case - Parvum i1.0 Prototype
    CPU - Intel i7-7700k
    Motherboard - ASUS ROG Strix Z270i
    RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 3866C16
    GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
    SSD - Samsung 960 Pro 1TB x2 RAID1
    PSU - Silverstone SX800-LTI SFX 800W Titanium

Fans - EK Vardar F1-120 x6
    CPU Block - EK Strix Z270i monoblock
    GPU Block - EK FC Titan X Pascal - Nickel Plexi
    Radiator - EK PE240 x2
    Pump/Res - EK XRES 100 SPC-60 MX x2
    Tubing - EK HD 10/12mm - Acrylic
    Fittings - Bitspower Deluxe White (C47)

[​IMG]

Most unusually this time we start with the case rather than hardware. Everything had been measured and modeled ready for the build so the case could be cut straight off with no pass through's to add in or mounts required.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ice cream!

[​IMG]

May have noticed by the odd M.2 placement that this isn't an old V Impact and that's the main reason it got swapped for this one. A 1TB 960 Pro in the back...

[​IMG]

...and another 1TB 960 Pro in the front of this awesome little Strix Z270i.

[​IMG]

While everything theortically should of just fitted together obviously, mistakes were made, and the radiators didn't match up exactly with the drawings for the case. But thankfully enough rotaries can quite literally solve any problem. So rather than joining the rads in the middle we dropped below and joined the bottom port on each, sneaking around the other port.

[​IMG]

Quickly checked the midwall fitted properly with our new fitting fix, crisis avoided, new side panel not necessary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fans! Very slow ones, and lots of them.

[​IMG]

Without wanting to add a fan controller we didn't have or overload the board with loads of fans and pumps joining all 6 fans together was the neatest option, first they were all cut to the same length.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Jun 2017
  2. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Then the unsightly wires on the front fans heatshrinked black. Vardar's now have all black wires, that's how long we've been planning this for!

[​IMG]

All the PWM and Tach wires were removed as they will be used on a fixed voltage directly in a PSU peripheral connector.

[​IMG]

A + and GND wire soldered on to all the fans ready for sleeve and heatshrink.

[​IMG]

Quick check that the pumps fitted neatly, no problems here.

[​IMG]

Small tube between the inlet and outlet of the two pumps, configured in series for ultimate work rig redundancy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And the little board prepared earlier screwed down to the midwall.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the board screwed down we finally had the chance to see it on it's feet having built from the side panel upwards.

[​IMG]

CPU of choice being a 6700k, all the threads ready for occasional nesting and rendering duties.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So that wraps up our first day on this incredibly high speed build, already looking very different from any other Parvum, the first triple white and an eerily simple midwall with very little need for cable routing. Let us know your thoughts on this little guy so far! J.​

3. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Good to see you back here Justin :D.
    That's a good looking build there, dual M.2s look very tasty, and saving you a load of spaghetti too!

I'll be watching with interest. My prototype ITX case is still doing well, holding up better than I'd thought it would, with weekly trips to LAN night :thumb:

BTW, whatever happened to the lovely metal bodied ITX project that you started the other year?
    I don't recall seeing it in its finished form

4. el2k

el2k Modder

Lovely stuff mate.

5. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Once again it was another very sunny spring day in Essex and with the prospect of new hardware arriving in the post we made a very early return to the warehouse.

[​IMG]

Nothing like the morning light on a new Ti.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But before JR23 spent the entire morning on glamour shots of the card, creeping slowly back to the usual studio style we were interrupted by DPD with many fresh toys!

[​IMG]

A much needed CPU block, the only part missing from our watercooling stash as we anticipated using the old Impact and monoblock and a very mighty 800W Titanium SFX PSU.

[​IMG]

Which didn't quite fit in as planned. It was evident from the product photos that the fan grill protruded every so slightly so we cut a hole for that to sit in, which it did, however the screw heads holding it in place also stood proud. Didn't need it anyway :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fans tested with the PSU and new shiny RAM installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that seemed like a great opportunity to tidy the ever growing pile of boxes from our work area ready for tubing and sleeving tools and go get some lunch! J.​

neSSa likes this.
  6. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Thanks for the interest. Dual M.2 is awesome for speed and the Raid 1. Really ideally for my work setup.

Sadly that steel case did not get complete and a lot of the hardware got used elsewhere. I still have the case. It needs someone to finish it!

7. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

No time was wasted fitting the card along with the 24-pin. After JR23 changed PSU in his R1.0 build we had a huge amount of wires to pick through, re-pin and make up a new set. All sleeved in MDPC-X shade 19.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unlike in the back this time around fittings and routing were going exactly according to plan

[​IMG]

So very quickly bending commenced.

[​IMG]

The first was a very straight forward 90°.

[​IMG]

...and the second could of easily been the same however we decided to switch it up and take a slightly more direct path.

[​IMG]

The first attempt was good, however, we felt it looked too parallel, almost as if it was unintentionally off.

[​IMG]

So next time we exaggerated the angle a little more, paying slightly more attention to lengths each side of the bend.

[​IMG]

Success!

[​IMG]

Tubing to the CPU block was next up, we tried a few different combinations of fittings, contemplated slight bends and even tried something different on each side.

[​IMG]

But the obvious option prevailed. Continuing the loose angles while mirroring the pair of DIMMs, pumps, fans...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All starting to piece together now. J.​

8. step

step What's a Dremel?

Will you get the new EK monoblock?

9. CroyAlore

CroyAlore What's a Dremel?

I'm liking the color scheme, and the pipe path is really great. :thumb:

10. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Yep! Actually have it on route now for an upgrade at some stage.

Thanks :), first case we've done triple white actually. I am enjoying it!

11. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Sorry for the big gap since the last update, someone decided to run away with all the photo's and then take his daily PC apart :eeek:

Anyway, right back to it. Where were we?

[​IMG]

Yes, building up cables!

[​IMG]

Being the first and only Parvum with a front mounted PSU that made tackling the cables quite a unique task so we took a unique approach.

[​IMG]

We wanted to achieve a really organic form, a contrast to the harsh straight lines of the loop but still purposefully direct.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enough admiration for the moment, prep for coolant!

[​IMG]

With the case completely together you can see just how exactly the GPU fits inside

[​IMG]

I'm so used to seeing a PSU fan on the side, this just isn't right anymore.

[​IMG]

Mayhems Pastel white incoming! Both little reservoirs filling simultaneously was great fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

**coolant intensifies**

[​IMG]

Well this was the end of our 2-day build, but a little package from Slovenia arrived today... J.​

12. atc95

atc95 I have the upgrade bug!

Loving the design of this already, how likely is the prototype to become a product at this stage?

13. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

Yeah we see no reason why not to add it to the range. Thanks for the interest!

14. kingpraun

kingpraun What's a Dremel?

What can we expect in future updates?

15. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

[​IMG]

Although we had it running good there is always just a little more to unlock and aesthetic tweaks to be made, so we pulled it all apart ready for the latest Slovenian care package to be installed.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bye bye copper/acetal!

[​IMG]

One moment please RAM, we'll get back to you soon.

[​IMG]

Right, new 7700k for extra ghz! The 6700k was benching at 4.9ghz an exceptional sample but some very rushed screening was showing potential for 5.1ghz with this new guy.

[​IMG]

And here it is, the new Strix 'i' (totally not impact) block.

[​IMG]

Preparing the Impa... i

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here we go now, pace is building.

[​IMG]

...and a new GPU block to match! Another Titan block rather than the Ti or FE variants because the hefty new terminal definitely wouldn't fit in our mm perfect chassis. Wishful thinking also, we may find an extra 1GB IC on the warehouse floor to turn this into a Titan one day!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now everybody, remember there is a fan header right under the block, erm, we didn't and we were using it. But if you remove the Wi-Fi header and try hard enough, it can be done. (mileage may vary on finger size)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As if by magic though, we managed to get the pumps in under the block.

[​IMG]

Some ~7mm longer tubes were needed to make the extra distance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got a proper EKWB backplate in that fancy nickel, very shiiiiny RGB enhancement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We know some of you are eagerly awaiting those coolant shots, well maybe the tease has gone on long enough.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting real close now! J.​

Last edited: 15 Jun 2017
    neSSa likes this.
  16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Sweeeeeet.:D

17. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

Looking good!

I designed that monoblock you know.....

18. imersa

imersa Parvum Princess

I had a strong guess that was the case when it got released nice and quickly. Great bit of kit, likely the nicest ITX block so far. I asked Robey when he was down and he said you designed it.

Top skills.

19. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

And here I thought they hired you to be a colorful mascot!

20. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

They probably did but they dont pay enough to deal with their 'research and design managers' bullcrap.....I love the rest of the team and would work with them on anything but the 'manager' (lol!) is an ass.