1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build - In Progress ⭐ Projekt Alphatier Casecon with two Monster Radiators

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by mapim, 16 May 2017.

1. mapim

mapim Minimodder

[​IMG]
    Hi guys this is my first Casecon called Alphatier

I am from germany and all typos ar for your Entertainment XD but i try my best.

The name Alphatier is because of the two massive Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 180mm Triple Radiators. They are the biggest Radiators Alphacool offers. I have build the case around them. There is no Case wehre these Monsters fit so i had to build one.

Alphacool Germany and hardwarmax.net helped me out with massively the Watercooling Components so a BIG THANK YOU to them. Without them i would not be able to afford a Projekt like that.

The concept of this whole Build is to create an open unique PC Case that is practical an can handle any Hardware you throw at it.
    I just cant see BIG BLACK BOXES anymore.
    The goal ist to create a mostly passive ultra silent PC .
    I also build the whole thing at home, basically in my room with pretty basic tools and materials that everybody can buy in the local hardware store.
    I did this on purpose to inspire people who think they can not do nothing cool because they do not have a whole workshop.

This is how it looks right now but still a lot to do i will update this pic like i progress.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jul 2017
    Cheapskate likes this.
  2. mapim

mapim Minimodder

so lets begin with some Aluminum basic Tools and a Plan.
    behold my high-end workbench XD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 16 May 2017
    Cheapskate likes this.
  3. mapim

mapim Minimodder

behold the mighty Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta 180mm Triple Radiator i added a 120mm Fan for size compression.
    U can also see the doner Case for the mainboard tray

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mapim

mapim Minimodder

now it ist time to add some profile to the Monster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  5. mapim

mapim Minimodder

The fans are Phobya Phobya G-Silent 18 700rpm Red LED an they dont look that Bad in the Dark. This will also be the outer radiator frame. i do not believe i will need to turn up the fans that often.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  6. mapim

mapim Minimodder

making some more framework

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  7. amagriva

amagriva Minimodder

Nice start but very bad pics format (dimensions...) almost unwatchable and the pics host is engulfed with pop ups and other devilish push commercials (behold the pale sheep german-only speaking...)

8. mapim

mapim Minimodder

thanks for the Tipp amagriva i uploadet and resized all the Pics . This buildlog has to be convenient to watch for you guys. I hope it works better now

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  9. mapim

mapim Minimodder

So the outer frame is almost done and i have to add some fett of course. So you also get an idea why this is not youre nor normal tower build. And it is huge

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 17 May 2017
    Cheapskate likes this.
  10. mapim

mapim Minimodder

next step will be the Mainboard and Hardware Aera. MB in front res, pump and cabels on the backside
    After i pulled the PCI Slots out of the doner Case i had to cut some Aluminum sheet to size that i found on the scrapyard. This will work as the backplate and NT holder

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 17 May 2017
    Cheapskate likes this.
  11. mapim

mapim Minimodder

Mainboard Tray was a pice of work. I build it in a way that it can remove it when i need to. it was al lot of Fidelin around but it worked out quiet well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  12. mapim

mapim Minimodder

I added some vinyl. I do not like to use Paint. Remember this is all done in the room where i also sleep in ;)
    U can also see here how i attached the Hardware aera to the outer radiator frame and wehr the PSU will sit.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  13. mapim

mapim Minimodder

I was not happy with how the Mainboard Backpannel looked an so i did some cuts and foldes and changed the colour to silver for a more uniform look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  14. mapim

mapim Minimodder

Alphatier is a german Word that describes the BOSS Animal in the Pack ( Alpha-male) . Such a Beast needs some Claws of course. I also made a cross bar. That thing ist really sturdy i was pleasantly surprised how stiff the construction is when the radiators are mounted. OK i already have used over 100 M3 Stainless screws and washers at this point.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  15. mapim

mapim Minimodder

I made a hole in the Mainboardtray. You guys know the drill XD. And i also put some white Vinyl on the MB Tray because the original paint i was not looking that nice anymore.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  16. mapim

mapim Minimodder

While i was cleaning up my current system, i took out my Seasonic Platinum 1200 Watt PSU. Thank God for Modular Cables.
    Yes total overklill for my system but i bought it second Hand for a very decent price and could not rissest. I will have to make some holes for better Cable Management over the whole Case. But this ist the PSU that will give the Alphatier the Power that a beast like that needs .

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also made a unboxing Video of the Seasonic Platinum 1200 Watt PSU

Last edited: 21 May 2017
    Cheapskate likes this.
  17. mapim

mapim Minimodder

Now that i test fitted the PSU i can make the cable routing holes. Altough Alphatier will be a reative open Case i still wannt to hide as much cables as i can. I planed a portion on the backside of the MB tray for that. On the backside will be also the positions for the D5 Pump and a small tube-res. But lets see when te watercooling gear arrives.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheapskate likes this.
  18. mapim

mapim Minimodder

I am not a big fan of hard tubing. For Show builds or when you do not plan to change the hardware for a long time it is a good choice. But this is a more " easy" homemade situation Build, so i of course choose flex tubing.
    I use 13-10 tubing because i like the look.
    BUT If u start a new water cooling build i would recommend a 16-10 tube.
    The thicker Wals will bend better.
    I have used black Norprene tubing for a few years now and it is a very good tube, but i kinks quite fast (13-10 )
    A few months ago Mayhams announced Mayhems UV White Tubing (3/8 - 1/2) 10/13mm Tubing . And i used it in one of my other Builds.
    I really love the sleek white look ( do not care about UV ) and so Alphatier will have white vains. I made a few pics ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 24 May 2017
  19. mapim

mapim Minimodder

I have to wait for the Alphacool parts now, not much modding without that. The Alphacool guys are now in Taipei for Computex 2017 so it might take a while longer than usual until they have time to take care of my little order.

Bad timing on my side XD . Eddy and Matthias if u read this i hope u have a good time there although i know that such tradeshows are  stressful. But a made some Pics of the Stainless screws that hold the Alphatier together. Already over 100 Washers were used. No rivets will pierce this Beast XD

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 26 May 2017
  20. mapim

mapim Minimodder

I have build some simple Radiator Grills. Tried some different styles but less is more.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]