1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD unveils Epyc chips, Ryzen Threadripper, and first Vega GPU

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 17 May 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Maki role

Maki role Dale you're on a roll... Lover of bit-tech

Those are some ridiculous numbers. I'm very curious about the "Threadripper" chip though, if their pricing is right it could be a really successful option IMO. Being able to pack that many threads into say the cost of a 6900k (maybe a bit ambitious that...) would be an instant success I would have thought for video work, of which there is such a large market now.

I do hope that 16GB will make its way onto the consumer cards too (given HBM2 it should do right?). Nvidia has been dragging 12GB along and it's frustrating. I may not be able to use an AMD card for Cycles flawlessly, but at the least it could prompt Nvidia to drop their own 16GB cards into the mix.

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I'm being rather hopeful about the prices. Two 8 core Ryzens cost less than a bag of sand, so I am hopeful they can get it in at around a grand. That said they're not a charity, and will likely murder Intel's pricing on Xeons any way so maybe it will cost more..

Also hopeful that by the time they come out Ryzen will drop in price a little and the 10 core may come in around £500? that would be amazing :clap:

Either way it's nice seeing AMD "back" in this segment.

4. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Very smart approach by AMD, the CCX/Infinity Fabric structure really has given them the tools to scale this architecture up AND down while not relying on huge, expensive single die solutions.

They just need to get it working flawlessly and keep pricing competitive and Intel will go from shitting bricks to squeezing out a meteorite...

5. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

Really interested to see how the mobile APU's work out. Fancy one in a cheap chinese tablet to compete with the current M3 chips

6. blackerthanblack

blackerthanblack Minimodder

I'm looking forward to the APU's too, would be great for some small powerful HTPC's (those Zotac boxes with one of these and some RF capability would be fantastic), or laptop that can do some light gaming without being overly expensive.

I think over on Hexus they claimed AMD has got some commitment from the 'big 5' OEM's. If that's true and they can get some good mobile APU's into manufacturers products then they really will be making inroads. That's assuming Intel doesn't do the dirty like last time - I take it people will be watching out for that or something similar now, won't they?

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Going to the "Big 5 OEMs" bit. I'm 99% certain that they have a deal going with Dell/Alienware. Not in the APU side, but the HEDT side. A couple of benchmarks came out recently in an OEM Alienware machine showing, IIRC, the 10 and 12 core Ryzen chips. I also saw some benchmarks come from Alienware using X299 too.

So being a bit of an Alienware buff I am not sure if they are going to be coming in the existing 2015 Area 51, or whether Alienware have a new model coming out. They usually reserve the Area 51 for high end. The 2015 came as X99 only, with no quad core models being available. So yeah, seems like Dell/Alienware will be producing rigs with Ryzen chips in.

Which is pretty sweet for AMD :)

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/systems/asus_rog_tease_their_first_ryzen_powered_notebook/1

So Asus are in too :)

Last edited: 18 May 2017
  8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

1700 is £300, so even £1000 would give them an extra profit margin on the 16 core beast, that is 6900K price territory and Intel adding 2 more cores is going to be nowhere near enough to catch the Ripper.

But what I really want is to play fly on the wall when the ASRock Engineers brainstorm ideas for the boards it goes into:D