1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics DIY Mechanical Keyboard Advice

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guinevere, 11 Jun 2017.

1. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

My matias mechanical keyboard has died. The USB hub was a bit unreliable and now when you plug it into any computer the lights stay constant and it doesn't register to the host system.

So I'm thinking whether I can salvage it. Either fit a new board and wire it into the matrix of keys, or desolder the entire thing and build the amazing switches into a new keyboard.

I know DIU keyboards are a thing, but where should I start researching my options? I've not taken the keyboard apart yet, it's on the todo list.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Give Margo a shout - he's built more than his fair share of boards.

Guinevere likes this.
  3. asura

asura jack of all trades

The teensy is a commonly used controller. Beyond that... yea, PM Margo.

Guinevere likes this.
  4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

this is what you need:
    https://deskthority.net/workshop-f7/how-to-build-your-very-own-keyboard-firmware-t7177.html

Couple of options with the hardware, you can either probe out the matrix off the pcb, which is nice and smart, or you can build your own matrix with some wire and 1N4148 diodes, ideally for this you are going to want to take the switches off the pcb. Enameled copper wire that is normally used for making coils or windings is good for this as it's thin and has a super thin insulator, just remember to properly get the enamel off the bits you are trying to solder :)

Ive done a few little keyboards which haven't had a pcb, teensy 2.0 is the controller you need. If you can't get one without ridiculous shipping I think I have 5 or 10 in stock and can do you one shipped from uk.

Guinevere likes this.
  5. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Thanks peeps. I'll work out my options when I get the chance to take the thing apart. Back to using an apple full-size aluminium jobbie at the moment. It's okay... but not quite what I like using these days.