1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bethesda teases Doom VFR, Fallout 4 VR launches

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Jun 2017.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

More importantly:

Bethesda announces paid mods (again).

Because a six year old game sold twice to many players at full price and over several console generations has not made them enough money yet.

Please do not buy mods guys.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Never have done, never will. Would rather abandon Skyrim than do so.

Probably Zenimax responsible for this change.

4. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Until/unless Bethesda decide to go full evil and remove free mods from their website, and then go after other platforms like nexus, I don't really care about this creation club.

It just creates a two tier system, of the already available free mods, and the creation club, which presumably will be higher quality, polished etc etc (of course that remains to be seen).

Realistically the fallout 4 mod scene is already mature, it's not going to collapse because of creation club, and based on the press release, the creation club sounds like it'll be limited in what it will offer e.g. It'll be skins and weapons mostly, so I can't see massive game overhauls, or new lands being part of it.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

well bethesda are doing a "hold my beer" and are on course for the most downvoted video on YT, to make matters worse they got caught using bots to promote creation club over on /v/ :hehe:

6. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Agreed it almost seems worse than pre-ordering games.

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Apparently some of the negative comments have been disappearing from the video as well...

8. anawiaty

anawiaty What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 14 Jun 2017
  9. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Well, it depends on the amount of work Bethesda will be willing to put into such a system - and how fair the payment for content creators is. Judging from previous tries: Not a whole lot.

In truth both Bethesda games just are not really suited to this kind of paid user created content. Paid mods are user created DLCs that are curated and published by Bethesda. By taking payment Bethesda enters a contract with the buyer of said DLC that the DLC will work with the game (in its current and future state). There are no "if"s and "when"s, the player paid and Bethesda has to deliver.

That is fine for examples like DOTA or Counter Strike where only skins and the like are added. Even for maps such a system would probably work quite well. The scope of said content is so limited that it is very easy to update. Also I believe every content is actually quality checked in the case of DOTA by Valve before release.

Bethesda has to do the same, but the scope of mods in their open world games is just so much bigger. Paid mods will have to be checked for conflicts somehow, will have to be updated when the game is updated (and in a timely manner), wil have to be checked for required mods, will have to be checked if the license of the required mods allows for commercial use and so on.

This is of course disregarding the fact that there have been scumbags that outright stole mods from the Nexus last time. This has to be checked as well of course.

Note that most of these things are actually done by the free mod community. The Nexus for example takes asset theft or disregard of permissions and licenses very seriously and will ban people for that.

But what happens if a modder is fed up by game updates breaking their work or bugs destroying their users safe game? Quite a few of them stop giving support or outright take their work offline. And that is fine for free user created content. But in case of paid mods Bethesda will have to enter a contract with the modder to see these problems resolved. We'll see how well that'll go.

The Skyrim modding scene is several years old an entangled mess of dependencies and conflicts. Fallout 4 will be very much the same I guess. Adding money and greed to that is a legal clusterf**k. One that Bethesda will be legally responsible for I might add, at least over here.

TL;DR: Mods for Bethesda games are to complicated for Bethesda to ensure quality, also the modding scene for both games in particular is just way to old.

---

Also this kind of greed really rubs me the wrong way. Skyrim is six years old now and it's safe to assume that the lasting popularity of the game is due to mods - content created by users for Bethesda's game for free. Quite a few console users bought the legendary edition due to the promise of mods. Are they content with that? Nooo, they cannot leave the game well enough alone. They got to milk it even more, drain every. last. cent. If the game community dies in the process, so what? There's always ESO...

10. alf-

alf- Minimodder

Fallout 4 is coming up to 2 years old now, all the DLC has been released, so realistically updates will be minor and far between. And I can't see them curating/approving mods that depend on existing mods either, as they're blocking existing mods.

And after rereading the press release, It does seem the creation club is going to be quite restrictive and controlled, with "Most of the Creation Club content is created internally, some with external partners who have worked on our games, and some by external Creators."

I know I previously didn't think new lands would be part of it, but I had forgotten about the vault nvidia added, so if content like that (although more fleshed out) is added, I'm all for for it.

Price and quality will be the deciding factor, after all nexus has 20 odd million files, so for creation club to compete with that, the content will need to be up to scratch, and of course make sure submissions aren't stolen from existing mods.

As I previously said, as long as they leave nexus alone, I'm fine with creation club, it simply creates an alternative, if it's rubbish so be it.