1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Food & Drink Any refrigeration engineers? (Help!)

Discussion in 'General' started by Yadda, 12 Jun 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Last night my freezer, a waist-height upright model about 7 years old, had a bit of a moment.

I was cleaning up after dinner and heard a series of sharp cracks/pops coming from the direction of the freezer. I ran over for a closer look and noticed a plume of fairly thick smoke coming from the top, behind the temperature adjustment dial, where the front panel meets the top panel. That area was also hot to the touch.

Things calmed down afterwards and the freezer still appears to be working, although I'm not convinced it's working as well as it was.

Any ideas?

2. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

Whilst not an Engineer I think it prudent to claim it as an insurance loss rather than risk a potential fire hazard waiting to go boom - personally I'd unplug it from the wall immediately (a defective dishwasher caused a fire in a friends home and it cost thousands and the life of his Daughters dog).

Better safe than sorry I feel.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm not a freezer engineer, but I think the default stance that your freezer is now a fire hazard is reasonable.

I assume the dial is connected to some crude method of controlling the compressor and that control component has probably burnt out. You might be left with some sort of partial connection after the fireworks.

So I would say unplug it and take it apart to see what happened....and start eating then throw it out.

4. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Cheers guys.

Don't worry, as a temporary precaution I've made sure there's nothing flammable above or around it and left the kitchen door wide open overnight (smoke alarm is on ceiling outside kitchen door). I also made sure the power cord is clear and free from obstruction so I can easily throw the bloody thing outside if I need to.

I suppose I could take it to bits and have a look, but I don't really fancy it tbh. If it is a PCB/whatever behind the dial that's blown, how easy are they to get replacements for?

New freezer time, me thinks.

5. asura

asura jack of all trades

A customer's (it's not this kind of shop) house burned down and the culprate was the fridge/freezer PCB. Not trying to scare you here, but it can/does happen.

Conversely my GF's father has blown 4 microwaves, two toasters and an oven this year without any drama other than a bit of magic smoke escaping...

6. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

Luckily I just got the magic smoke too (and a lot of heat but thankfully no external flames).

I can see how it could've been nasty, though. Dangerous things, fridges/freezers.

Edit:

I've now found temporary new homes for my meat and fish and unplugged the freezer. RIP cold friend. :)

Last edited: 12 Jun 2017
  7. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I have bought a spangly new freezer (not through the insurance though because mechanical failure isn't covered) and it's just been delivered.

Drama over. :thumb:

Last edited: 13 Jun 2017
  8. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Reading this thread, I'm a little bit gob-smacked. I can't believe that you A) left it plugged in overnight after the event anyway, and B) you felt you needed to first seek advice on whether it was safe to continue to use!!

9. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

It was fine, mate. Calm yourself. :)

10. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

:D I'm perfectly calm. It's not my house that'd have burnt down. :thumb:

11. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

That's good. Do you feel better after your little outburst? I hope so.

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

If you think that's an outburst, you've got bigger problems than a lack of common sense...

13. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

You came here to make yourself feel better by misrepresenting what I did.

It didn't work so kindly take your numbered points, **** off and annoy someone else, there's a good chap.

14. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I didn't misrepresent what you did whatsoever. You said that "last night" you heard "a series of sharp cracks/pops" from the freezer and upon inspection "noticed a plume of fairly thick smoke coming from the top".

The NEXT DAY, you feel you have to ask on a forum if it's safe!!!

Bearing in mind this was THE NIGHT BEFORE... How dumb do you have to be to endanger your own life, that of those living with you and potentially your neighbours (if you have them) by risking leaving it plugged in?

And you've got the nerve to tell me to **** off? Reality check, you romper.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Well, that escalated quickly!

16. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Luckily, unlike the fire that didn't happen :worried:

17. Yadda

Yadda Minimodder

I'm going to request this thread be locked before it sets fire to the forum.

Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.