1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Intel Core i9-7900X (Skylake-X) Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 16 Jun 2017.

1. Dogbert666

Dogbert666 *Fewer Lover of bit-tech Administrator

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Good performance (obviously) but as usual with intel you need lots of money and basically a system overhaul because of the new chipset. Meh.

3. Methanoid

Methanoid What's a Dremel?

And if you're gonna get hit for a new mobo you might as well buy Threadripper for less money and lots more cores. Intel needs to drop prices a LOT more to offer a compelling deal. And since they engineered an excuse for forcing a new socket and hence mobo I can see many people just not bothering to upgrade OR going straight to Threadripper. Intel shot themselves firmly in the foot (and testicles) IMHO

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Wow!, Intel are being real douche bags when it comes to PCI-E lanes on these...only 28 unless you spend £$1K.

..not impressed.

5. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

I disagree this is not a reaction to Ryzen. Although the chip may have been in the works, the price would have been much higher had it not been for genuine competition.

6. Guest-56605

Guest-56605 Guest

And the afore mentioned competition has summarily slapped them in the Daddy bags :hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

£999?

You could build an entire gaming PC, based on R7 1700 and a GTX 1070, for that kind of cash.

8. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

The price isn't too bad compared to the previous gen HEDT chips from Intel, +2 cores and better oc potential than the 6900k.

But....

Bring on the Ripper:D

9. rollo

rollo Modder

A deal to who? Intel is not targeting the same customers as AMD. If you think they are with a chip thats double its cost your a bit mad.

Not sure threadripper will be cheaper either.

10. tonyd223

tonyd223 king of nothing

100 C - really? Well, I suppose if you're spending this much then full custom water cooling...

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

When will we have the review of the 7820x?

12. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'm not sure Intel is really targeting anyone with HEDT as a platform. I mean, they're going to sell a gazillion of the Xeon variants anyway, so why not slap a "Desktop" badge on it as-is for a halo product to sell the mainstream platform?

13. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

The X299 launch is a flop. Bringing Kaby-X to the HEDT and then disabling most of its features because you're skimping on PCI-E lanes (which can't cost any extra, surely?) to nerf the board you've just bought...? Come off of it.

100c is also due to the fact that it isn't soldered. Another thermal paste job ... Intel really are doing such a swell job. :D

14. beef1e

beef1e What's a Dremel?

Sorry Intel not good enough! I'm currently in the market for a upgrade, been in the market for years tbh. Nothing has made me want to go for it, either not much of a performance jump or the price is a joke.

I am going to wait it out for Threadripper, if Amd drop a good Threadripper cpu for the right price (like the Ryzen 1700) then i will go for it if not, i will grab a Ryzen hopefully for an even better bargain.

Either way and even if Intel is clearly superior i going for it. Consider this my protest vote!

15. sandys

sandys Multimodder

You at least know what your are getting when it comes to stability with Intel, that would be the one justification for one of these over a threadripper.

TRs PCIe lanes are very appealing though, the reviews can't come soon enough.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Threadripper is 2 8 cores combined. From my previous experience of duel socket cpus. It will be super hit or miss. Software will love it or hate it.

If you use your own software it will be awesome, Friend of mine is buying a few on this premise as he can code the software to it.

There is benches already out of geekbench where it is basically a 1000 points clear of a ryzen 1800 chip despite double the threads. As the software does not know how to use them.

( https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-ryzen-threadripper-specs)

said benchmark / By comparison, an AMD Ryzen 7 1800X at 3.6GHz with eight cores and 16 threads scored 4,208/23,188 and quad-core, eight-thread Core i7-7700K at 4.2GHz scored 5,805/19,942.

AMD have alot of work to go to say threadripper will be the cpu choice at £1000 ( does such a market really exist)

17. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

That benchmark is bulls**t.

18. sandys

sandys Multimodder

I'm more interested in the platform than the chip but that platform needs to be stable, every chip will suit my needs.

19. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

As above. That bench is bull.

Edit: it's due to the bench being heavily optimised for Intel. That's why it's bull.

Last edited: 17 Jun 2017
  20. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yup as we found out on another forum yesterday.

That benchmark is only good on OSX for comparing Intel CPUs and that's about it.

Tags: Add Tags