1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete (Completed) Codename WarpDrv ▒▒❚❚❚❚╫

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by thomasz, 3 Jun 2017.

1. SiZZiGY

SiZZiGY Nano Evolution in progress...

Oh Ok I haven't seen thoses 2nd pads with stickers at your pictures, I better understand why you don't feel to use better solution for vibration :)

For the Area that will depend at your personnal skill of cutting proprerly and the size of screw/bolts. If u have some holes to create, this tool (dont know the name in english...) can do nice job, you have just to cut proprely the circumference, the easyer step.

[​IMG]

I thinked more to use them at the 2nd place with stickers both sides of the rubber, and ths most important is to not to use any screw beacause they will transmit the vibrations. The best is to found a great quality of sticker like 3M professionnal and I think this only fixation solution will be enough and provide to you the best result in the time when HDD will star to vibrate more because of long years of use.

Last edited: 19 Jun 2017
  2. thomasz

thomasz What's a Dremel?

Thank you for this very detailed instruction! Will try on my next build. There is a lot I need to learn. :cooldude:

3. thomasz

thomasz What's a Dremel?

Then I am going to make a curved fairing for the engine.

I decided to make it transparent. All I wanted to show in the hardware inside the machine, rather a case.

Manual design:

[​IMG]

The raw material - acrylic sheet was purchased, and I was informed that customized heat bending will be charged for a minimum of 250 USD. So I decided to DIY it.

I tested 1/8 in, 1/16 in and acrylic sheets. This is the 1/8 in one, which was proved to be too thick.

[​IMG]

Cut to size.

[​IMG]

My heat gun was the cheapest I could get from the local store.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I designed and 3D printed some molds.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I was going to push the soften acrylic sheeting on to this curved surface with pure man power.

[​IMG]

Push push push. There was some progress. However after 3 hours I decided that there was no way I could make it with a simple heat gun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I thought that a space heater might work better than a heat gun. Yes it did. However the strong heat bended the acrylic from middle, and left multiple air bubbles in it.

[​IMG]

After staying away from the project for one month, I tested again on a 1/16 in acrylic board.

[​IMG]

It worked!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Though not perfect, it roughly looked like an arc.

[​IMG]

Let it weather for a while. A fairing is completed! If my "WarpDrv" project may be considered under the category of "scratch build", then this fairing is the major reason.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 21 Jun 2017
  4. thomasz

thomasz What's a Dremel?

Then I took care of air intake. I designed and 3D-printed a turbo fan, no, a turbo fan-shaped fan grill.

[​IMG]

Tiled up the turbo fan, a random Corsair 200mm case fan and an aluminum fan filter.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This is it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached the fan complex on the fairing.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

This log is awesome... I've been looking at those types of motherboards for a while trying to figure out how a person could use one as a desktop/workstation as a standalone thing! This almost makes me want to actually go for it lol

6. thomasz

thomasz What's a Dremel?

Thank you! You can try it and like it!

7. thomasz

thomasz What's a Dremel?

The machine is completed at this stage.

[​IMG]

The operating system is Ubuntu MATE 16.04, with a custom theme.

[​IMG]

I placed the machine on top of my office closet, which is quite far and not directly contacted from where I sit. Temperature and noise are both at low levels. I have been using it for over two months, and I love it!

[​IMG]

Let me call it the end. Thank you everyone for watching!

[​IMG]

David likes this.
  8. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Thank you for posting your project - I've enjoyed reading it.

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

10. thomasz

thomasz What's a Dremel?