1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Any been successful with DVD drive cleaning kits?

Discussion in 'General' started by Porkins' Wingman, 18 Jun 2017.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I've got a DVD recorder with HDD storage function as my sole DVD playing kit in the living room. I guess it must be 7-10 years old. Never had any issues with it, but it has seen a surge in use in the last few years now the kids are on the scene.

Just recently it's started taking longer to read discs when you first put them in, and has been rejecting several too, though it seems there are certain discs it can still consistently read and certain discs that it can't. Once it has successfully read a disc, it doesn't have any problems playing it.

So I'm wondering if this is a 'dirty lens' issue, or a 'dying lens' issue.

Logic says to just get a cleaning disc and try it, but I'm pretty sceptical about them so want to hear that there are genuine success stories with them, if you have them, please.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Personally I would not use a cleaning disc. From experience they slap the lazer around a bit, and they're not so good because the lens is indented.

I usually use alcohol on a cotton bud personally, or window cleaner with vinegar. However, you may find you need a replacement lazer.

3. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

I second Vault-Tec's Comment.
    Before assuming that it is the player lens have you checked the disks?
    I am amassed at how dirty my sons can make a disk in thirty seconds. Dirty enough that the player will have the same issues as described. I now have taken to using a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol (i.e. glasses cleaning solution) and a microfiber cloth to each disk before I place the disk in the player. (Remember to wipe from centre to edge, perpendicular to the tacks.) This has curbed the issues.

4. Porkins' Wingman

My hope is that it's just my toddler's jammy fingers that have dirtied a disc (or 400) and that that dirt has transferred to the lens.

We recently got a brand new copy of Moana. I unsealed the case and put the disc straight in the drive..... no bananas. Meanwhile my Empire Strikes Back disc that must be about 13 years old plays fine.

5. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Open it up and give the lens a clean with alcohol as mentioned.

The mounts that the lens uses can also sometimes become a bit tired, cleaning the lens and jostling them a little sometimes helps.

Failing that a replacement lens assembly will not be expensive if you fancy a project.

6. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah I replaced the lazer in a Bose Waveradio a few years back and it cost me £4 for the entire mech from China. Just don't buy them here, I was quoted £35.

7. Porkins' Wingman

I tried opening it up:

[​IMG]

But after removing about 10 more screws I didn't seem to be any closer to getting the drive out, it wasn't budging, and it looked like I was going to have to strip the thing completely, which I don't really fancy ding when it dies completely, let alone while it's still kinda working.