1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Chroming...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Mhiran, 6 Oct 2003.

1. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

Does anybody know the normal cost of chroming say a PSU drive cover?

Thanks
    Mhiran

2. malcs

malcs oops! i put a hole in the ***** :(

g-gnome

is your friend :)

3. Lightning

Lightning What's a Dremel?

he is? :worried: ;)

4. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

yes g-gnome is your friend.. Look at his Orac³ in the Project Logs.. wow what a project.. but anyways. He got a ton of things chromed and if it doesnt say in the project log.. ask him.

5. kevbarlas

kevbarlas What's a Dremel?

mmhm,, im kinda sure the prices for australia and the uk are differant
    just find out the are your anting to be chromd and phone a few places up for quotes

6. Mhiran

Mhiran What's a Dremel?

None of them say that i can get a quote over the phone :duh: . None will even give me a rough estimate... so I will either have to make contact with g-gnome or actualy go down to a chroming place and get a quote.

7. Clockworks999

Clockworks999 What's a Dremel?

Most of the cost of chroming is for the preparation work - stripping, sanding, polishing, etc. The better the finish you can get on the item before you take it to the shop, the cheaper it should be.
    This is the reason they will not quote without seeing the item. If they can just degrease and plate, it might only take 10 minutes of labour. If they have to sandblast and polish, it could take half a day....

My brother used to run a custom motorbike shop in Croydon. He used to use London Chroming (Old Kent Road, I think) - reckoned they were the best, but not the cheapest.

Cheers

8. Lightning

Lightning What's a Dremel?

how about chroming aluminium? I quite fancied having my lian-li chromed, but after ringing around a few places they all pretty much told me they couldnt do it without first knowing what kind of aluminium it was :(

is it possible? chromed lian-li would look awesome :rock:

9. taliban_raider

taliban_raider Just some guy; you know

You shouldent relay do that stuff you know kills a damn lot of brain cells. :waah: haha jk :D I do not know of any places where you are. But CW999 is right it does cost a crap load more if you are lazy and dont prepare well or at all.

10. Clockworks999

Clockworks999 What's a Dremel?

Chroming aluminium certainly is possible- many ally custom car and bike parts are chromed, but they are usually cast or machined from solid. I guess the problem with thin sheet is that if it is poor quality (or too thin) it may disolve in the cleaning or plating bath. I suppose you could get them to test-plate a spare bay cover?

If you just want a very shiny finish on aluminium, why not just polish it? You should be able to achieve a very good shine with a few hours work. You will need to sand off the anodised finish first though.

As long as the case doesn't get damp, it should stay shiny for a few months at least.

Cheers

11. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

12. SysCrusher

SysCrusher What's a Dremel?

You can get aluminum to polish up just like chrome if you put the elbow grease in it. Use some jewelers polish.

13. TekMonkey

TekMonkey I enjoy cheese.

Re: Chrome plate plastic

$50, not $500 :lol:

14. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Re: Re: Chrome plate plastic

:lol: :lol: I was thinking about their 3-plate Chrome Plating kit, which is $500 :duh:

15. ATi Loyalist

ATi Loyalist Who throws a shoe?!

why not just sand it with some 2000 grit paper, and polish it, it will stay shiny if you clearcoat it as well. and it will be glossy at the same time :D

16. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Nothing beats the 3 plate chrome plating process on metal. For plastic, that silvaspray with a clearcoat might be better.