1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding I'm done with my case... maybe?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bladesilver, 10 Oct 2003.

1. bladesilver

bladesilver What's a Dremel?

probably not, but I've done a lot of work since I last posted pics. I got a 500w power supply and re-sleeved it all before it even went in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm probably going to paint some orange UV paint on the fan for the CPU fan.

The mods I have are 2 UV cold cathodes, soon to be on a sound-sensitive system, 5 case fans (2 mounted on bottom front behind the bezel, intake, 2 on the back, one intake one exhaust, the one in the center of the panel is an exhaust). My PSU also circulates air from the top inside the case out the back.

wires are all sleeved with shrink wrapped ends where I could do it. I actually ran out of shrink wrap so I need to get on top of a few of those wires with some more shrink wrap.

Fan grill over the Thermaltake Volcano 7+ heatsink is painted UV reactive blue. The fan grill on the center of the window was replaced with a biohazard laser cut fan grill.

Front of case includes an Enermax fanbus with LCD output of fan speeds and 2 temperature monitors (monitoring my video card temp and my CPU temp)

Edges of all my PCI and AGP cards are painted UV reactive blue, drybrushed the edges of the sockets for internal connectors for my SoundBlaster Audigy with UV reactive orange and UV blue paint.

UV reactive blue rounded ATA cables.

UV reactive molex connectors (these were a pain in the ass to do, took me a LONG time). All of this took me about 5 hours. I got almost all of the parts from xoxide.com, but a few others like the molex connectors from other random sites.

I still want to do water cooling in the near future.

Also, if anyone saw my last post with my ice-effect drybrushed keyboard, unfortunately a lot of typing wore off most of the paint on the keys, so I've decided to redo it, this time I'll use a clear-coat on top and hopefully have more success. My next big mod is to use a dremel to cut into the front of the bottom lip of my monitor and replace it with plexiglass, and mount a UV cathode behind that to shine on the keyboard. I bought the UV lazer LEDs off of xoxide to shine at my keyboard and they turned out to be garbage. They were more like purple LEDs than UV. The cold cathodes are definately the best UV lights out there.

2. Justin Time

Justin Time What's a Dremel?

No offense, but your case is full of premods. You did a good sleeving job. Even if your wires are sleeved you should really work on wire management. Organize them, hide them, etc.. You dont need all your wires showing. To much of a cluttered look.

Fix the wires.. Although i am not fond of premods, but the fact is that people DO use them and that is cool. Just isnt HARDCORE modding.

Good luck!

3. bladesilver

well, yeah, I'm a college student for CS and am usually pretty busy and don't exactly have a garage to work in to do my own mods from scratch, so yeah, I have lots of premod stuff. But I still put it all together and its still not easy.

4. RancidFlannel

RancidFlannel What's a Dremel?

spend less on pre-mods and get a new monitor man, that thing is ghetto!

i know what you mean about being a college CS student...but i dont even have the money to spend on stuff...im gunna need to do it all myself

whats the lcd in front? is that a polarized temp mod possibly? heres hoping...

5. Twernmilt

Twernmilt What's a Dremel?

just clean your wires and it should look fine, the only real wires that should be showing are the power to your cd-rom/hardrive which will only be one cable, the ribon-cables which i hopw you rounded and you should only need one of those unless you have 3 drives, beyond that try to hide everything else, removing your floppy drive helps if you never use it.

6. bladesilver

I have 4 drives.

3 HDs and a DVD-RW. Monitor I don't want to buy a new one until I buy a flat screen but I can't afford anything that I want. I need a monitor capable of at least 1600x1200, which means $$$ when it comes to flat screens. Also would need to be at least 17" or higher

7. bladesilver

here's some pictures of it in the dark...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Twernmilt

looks cool but why do you have 3 hard drives? how big are they?

9. bladesilver

60 60 and 120, cause I keep having more and more stuff and I don't like burning it to CDs or DVDs because they get scratched and I lose my data, plus it takes forever to find what CD stuff is on when I need it.

10. Twernmilt

wow you must be saving full movies or something, i'm still rocking out with my first 80

11. Zeke_D

Zeke_D What's a Dremel?

Very neat. I like the colors and the inards remind me of some sci-fi cover from Omni magazine. A chicky babe from Soyamas twisted mind or Major Matoko?(whats her face) from Ghost in the Machine would be right at home with that box.

I started a project that I must give up. Maybe you can do something with it. I intended on putting EL pads on top of every key on my keyboard. The wires would break too often and keys would go dark, not to mention I only had patience to do about half the keys before I gave up, just a bad execution... Now here is where it picks back up. Today I found a string of purple micro lights that might go well UNDER each key. Sure it is cheap Halloween decoration stuff, but I really like purple. Hot glue is a good thing.

About 8 bucks for a whole mess of micro purple lights on a stringer. Gotta be good for something neat.

Its not about how hard you work or even, really, the end result. The journey and the pumping of the creative juices that drive us all. Makes life interesting.

12. bladesilver

werd, I also do some degree of video editing on this machine, not professionally or anything but it still takes a lot of space to edit videos and burn DVDs and such

13. jake^the^cake

jake^the^cake What's a Dremel?

Very nice, but your never done with a case :)

14. flyboy -|-+

flyboy -|-+ What's a Dremel?

definetly gotta clean up those wires
    [​IMG]

15. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Nice!

16. bladesilver

I dunno, I like the wires there. I might like wind them around a little more so they look like they have more order, but I like them to be somewhat visible.

17. Twernmilt

they look pretty neat to me

18. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Hardly :p

19. flyboy -|-+

flyboy -|-+ What's a Dremel?

i like the way they glow, they just need to be organized some, it will help your temps too :D

20. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I love the orange and this usage of it is pretty similar to what I am going to do with my current project (see sig) so :thumb: on that one.

Its already been said but im gonna say it again, the cables are really a bit of a rats next and could be cleaned up plenty.

But still.. its orange and orange = teh win! :p