1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics AiW 9800 + Shuttle = no boot!? (update: possible workaround!!)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Toric, 9 Oct 2003.

1. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?

I just got my new All-In-Wonder 9800 Pro and when it's installed. My computer doesn't boot!!

The power light blinks once and then the system shuts off and I have to unplug and re-plug it in to get it to even recognize the power button again.

I'm pretty sure it's the power supply shutting itself off for saftey but wtf!? The card must be pulling too much power? If I leave the extra power plug on the card off, the card won't let the computer start up, it says "You must plug in the extra power cable" or something to that effect. With the card plugged in, it doesn't boot. :wallbash:

How do I get around this, this is really anoying considering how much I just paid for this card.

I'm using a Shuttle SN45 case with a SFF 200w power supply. If it's the power supply, do I need a more powerful one? Where could I find a better SFF power supply? The computer shuts off almost instantly, is there anything in the BIOS setting I could change to get this to work?

I'm going to call ATI tomorrow and ask them a bunch of questions too, in the mean time, I can still use my old card to access my computer and stuff, it's just too bad... :(

I remember someone said they had a Shuttle and a Radeon 9800, could they offer any insight?

Last edited: 10 Oct 2003
  2. micb

micb Minimodder

3. micb

micb Minimodder

My brother has a Shuttle SK41G and a Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9800 pro and it works perfectly.

It looks like there is a voltage/power issue with some ATI AIW cards and some shuttles.

Last edited: 9 Oct 2003
  4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

your powersuply might be a factor. i had problems with my 9700 in a dell. curse there 200w PS. anyway ATI recomends at least a 300.

5. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?

6. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

m8 had the same problem with his powercolour 9700 pro. the only answer is to buy a new card. both shuttle nad card have been back to ocuk *shudder* but when tersted with other cards its fine.....
    He's gonna buy a hercules 9800 pro which work fine instead

7. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?

Found a work-around, a bad one, but it works! I just can't shutdown or I have to open the case up again. :p

The 4 pin header on the graphics card can't be plugged in because of the PS overvolt protection, but if you boot the computer and within that second after it starts plug in the header, everything starts up fine!! And even a restart won't turn the PS off so that's safe to do to, just can't shut down cold.

I think a more permanenant solution to this problem would be to add some kind of capacitor in the line between the card and the PSU, this might make the voltage straighten out and the time the cap would need to fully charge might be just enough to let the card settle down before it draws more power than it should. Not sure about the electronics of this though, I'll keep looking around. Until I find the true answer, I just won't do a hard shutdown for the next several months! :D

Now that I have the AIW 9800 working, I must say that watching TV as my desktop background is pretty cool! :lol:

Tags: