1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project:ONE | Detail Shots and Explanations | UPDATE:11-20

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by DETN8R, 30 Dec 2002.

1. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

Maybe a thin piece of plexi in front of the light source, sanded down, will even the glow?

2. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Nah, I already have all the lighting positions planned out.

Hopefully I can get this done within a day or two then I can start looking for a place to paint it for me.

Also, I just applied some small strips of fiberglass to a few of the areas the hold the screws. I did this in hopes of the fiberglass and the fiberglass resin holding the screws tightly in place.

So hows your case coming Shadowspawn?

3. Shadowspawn

Shadowspawn Another hated American.

No comment

4. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

OK, I understand.

5. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

http://upl.mine.nu/uplfolders/upload9/what_i_mean.PNG

there is what i mean :) on B its how you had the light, on A is what i mean :p

6. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

A is not possible as the light wont reflect off the brass.

B is the only option I have.

I plan on tinkering with the lighting a bit so you dont get that circular area of bright blue light.

7. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

A must be possible! :p

8. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Sorry, It would actually seem like a practicle Idea for thos front fine too. Because Im going to be mounting some switches just above the fins and they will be in the way of some light.

9. Znurf

Znurf What's a Dremel?

Ah okay :D well i dont know how the case really looks IRL, so its kinda hard to know how it will look without seeing it on a pic (which can also be weird and not look as it would IRL) but im sure you'll do the best thing and im just going to wait on the pics :D

nice work :)

10. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

This update is a little late because I was waiting for the pheaton forums to get back up and I didnt want to go back and update my logs on both forums(Bit-Tech and Pheaton)

A few days ago I decided to apply some fiberglass to a few areas of the base, Specifically around the screws I had soldered on to the back ends of the two side sets of fins:

The Right Set
    [​IMG]

The Left-Set:
    [​IMG]

I did this to securely hold the screws in place as well as add some stability to the base.

And here is the front and right set of fins first bondo application:
    [​IMG]
    I decided to join the right and front sets because they both contained about 5 fins each, with the exception of the front set. and the fins lined up just good enough to make for a believable join.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, I took the time to order a smaller Heatsink for the CPU as well as a case fan. I got a cool aluminum fan just for the looks. The plastic part wont be visible when I mount it:
    [​IMG]

I went with a smaller heatsink because I was a bit worried about all the space inside the case. Its rated for an athlon xp up to XP2700+ and its pure copper so It should cool my xp2100 just fine.

Here are the results of yesterdays bondo application to the right and front fins:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im nearly done with a joining/molding of the front and right sets of fins. Theyre looking great and I just need to apply a few small amounts of bondo to some key areas and HOPEFULLY i should be done with them. This area is very frustrating as I need to use a small strip of sandpaper and pull it across the area I need to sand. Im confident that I will be able to finish this and get it painted.

Thats about it for now.

11. Darkside

Darkside What's a Dremel?

Impressive bondo work there :lol: Take your time with the sanding, the results will be worth it.

The stuff you have done so far is excellent, and I look forward to the next update.

Darkside.

12. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks, Yeah, I will be taking my time with the sanding. But I just need to get this thing finish in like 2-3 weeks.

13. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

No page 2 for you! keep working hard man!. Bondo can be a finicky pain in the butt, but it's ALL worth it in the end.

14. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

???

Thanks for the comment starbucks

15. Crass

Crass What's a Dremel?

Im curious to see when you have put this all together man.
    Looks lovely :)

16. Starbuck3733T

AKA Bump. I know how frustrating it was when I was working on goliath's fan shroud w\ bondo. I sent it down to a friend from ArsTechnica because I don't have the patience you do ;)

17. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I finally got what you meant by "No page 2 for you".

Update Time Again:

I have begun work on planning out the wiring inside the case.

I dont want any bare wire to be visible. So I constructed a little "container" to house all the visible wires and to act as an outlet for the covered wires. The wires that will be inside those pieces of conduit and shower hose.
    [​IMG]

And in the next two pics you can see how close the container is to the PSU in order for there to be no visible bare wires:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The two pieces of conduit I cut, The showerhose(thicker) conduit will be home to the ATX wires and the payphone conduit will house the 12V connector.
    [​IMG]

Ive gotten some work done on the bondoing of the Shell but I wont bore you guys with more pics of that because they look pretty much like the other pics I have posted.

Thats about all I have to show you guys for now.

18. Starbuck3733T

so the wires for that PSU come out the back? wierd. :eyebrow:

19. DETN8R

DETN8R What's a Dremel?

huh?

no, its just like a regular psu except its smaller and longer. I just made a few changes to it.

20. Starbuck3733T

I musta been looking wrong... I see where the wires come out of the PSU in the 2nd picture, in the lower right hand corner of the picture. The first one threw me b/c I saw the bit with the blue tape coming down real close to the back of the PSU and I thought you were shoving the wires up through that.